PDA

View Full Version : Fixed my graphics freezes!!! Don't rely on Windows Update...

horseback
12-19-2004, 11:00 AM
When I got PF almost the day it became available, I couldn't get it to run for more than 15 minutes without a graphics meltdown-frozen screen, repeating audio, then either the Catalyst Control Center would take it back to desktop and tell me that my graphics processor was unable to do the job, or the computer would completely lock up, and I'd have to reset and start over. It was driving me over the edge, especially when the new patches came out and there was no change in symptoms, much less a fix.

I have a 3Ghz P4 with a Gig of RAM, a 9800 Pro & an Audigy 2z on my primary computer, I'm scrupulous about virus and spyware protection, defragging biweekly, and making sure that my drivers and software were up to date by going to the Windows Update site and checking my status there.

But recently, I've noticed that the Windows update page has changed, and (some) new drivers were not forthcoming. So, I went to my mobo maker's US homepage, and checked there for what was available. My Via 4-in-1 drivers were about 3 versions out of date! So, along with my latest BIOS update I got the new 4-in-1s and now, PF runs smooth as silk.

I'm a happy boy now, but I coulda been happy a lot sooner if I hadn't relied on M$. Those of you having similar troubles may want to check with your motherboard maker's websites to see if everything is actually up to date. It may well pay off for you in better video and fewer freezes.

Cheers

horseback

Sky Eagle
12-19-2004, 11:05 AM
Good that u dont have any freeze's.
Ill check it out.
Cause whenn i Play a Open_Gl game it Freeze's.

Revolter_
12-19-2004, 12:50 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

I wonder if all the whiners and complainers of 1C: and Oleg have had this exact same problems, MoBo firmware updates and M$ Billyboy G. As they say; FOOLS RUSH IN !!! Horseback, thanks for heading the trolls off at the pass partner.

note: wondering if Billyboy M$ and Northrop/Grumman sleep in the same rathole.
No fool here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Ragman_
12-19-2004, 07:47 PM
I recently bought a new Asus MB and had the same probs. Newest 4-in-1 drivers installed. I actually had to uninstall just the AGP driver and let windows install one on reboot. Everything now works great. I will check for updates from Asus to see if the VIA drivers have been updated since I had my probs.

Thanks,
Ragman_