PDA

View Full Version : Great looking Jill!!

MoritzJGOne
12-06-2004, 03:09 PM
The Jill had Fowler flaps which is shown on the image. Will these behave differtly from conventional flaps when deployed?

Maple_Tiger
12-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Hey, I clicked because I thought there would be a half naked women named Jill. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Also, I don't see an image.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Didn't the Ki-43 also have flaps like this. They were supposed to be super effective. I don't see why they wouldn't be modelled differently than standard flaps.

VW-IceFire
12-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Don't know what these are except that I hear the P-38 also had these (there was reference to fowler flaps).

What are they?

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 04:52 PM
They extend backwards and down from the trailing edge of the wing. They sort of extend the length of the wing when they are extended. They are given credit for the Ki-43 unbelieveable maneuverability and I think they could be opened at greater speeds than standard flaps. If you look carefully at the latest development update of the Jill you can see the flaps extended past the wing.

VW-IceFire
12-06-2004, 05:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
They extend backwards and down from the trailing edge of the wing. They sort of extend the length of the wing when they are extended. They are given credit for the Ki-43 unbelieveable maneuverability and I think they could be opened at greater speeds than standard flaps. If you look carefully at the latest development update of the Jill you can see the flaps extended past the wing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
AHHH...excellent...do they do that on the Oscar?

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm sure their effect is modelled properly but in game they look like regular split flaps. I was under the impression that implementing the fowler flaps correctly was impossible. Obviosuly not, hopefully they will eventually show up on the ki-43 as well (and the p-38 for that matter).

horseback
12-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Also a feature on the Ki-84, I believe. Because this type of flap was more of an extension of the wing's trailing edge, I got the impression that they could be deployed at higher speeds without jamming.

The original prototype of the Oscar lacked these flaps, and was initially a huge disappointment to the Koku Hombu and Nakajima. The addition of the 'butterfly' flaps (so called because of the rounded shape at the fat end) absolutely transformed the aircraft and became a 'must-have' for a number of later Japanese wartime designs.

cheers

horseback

Snootles
12-06-2004, 09:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Obviosuly not, hopefully they will eventually show up on the ki-43 as well (and the p-38 for that matter). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm, I think they're already there. Watch how the flaps on the two planes work. And they are responsible for a great deal of added agility. Never enter a maneuver without 'em.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 10:03 PM
They are responsible for a great deal of added agility, I believe their effect is modeled but they do not "look" right. In the game they look just like conventional flaps. They should actually be moving away from the back of the wings, right now they are hinged and rather than extend, they fall (for lack of a better term).

Zarathael
12-07-2004, 07:31 AM
I just think it's cool 'cause it makes it look like this big green sinister dragon. I'm definitely looking for a model now. Hasegawa of Tamiya probably make one I'm sure. Build models or fly sims, build models or fly sims.... Dammit!! What to do, what to do....

MoritzJGOne
12-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Hasagaws does it in 1/48. Fujimi Jill is 1/72. I recommend the Hasegawa, bout US$28

3.JG51_BigBear
12-07-2004, 09:39 PM
The Hasegawa Jill kit is very nice. Kit just fell together just like most other Hasegawas.