PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed to the Big Screen Speculation

ashassin96
10-08-2011, 03:56 PM
I love AC. I own every game to date with preordered Revelations on the way, which is why I'm all for bringing AC to the big screen. IMO all that is required is a decent budget a team from Ubisoft and a well respected director. As far fetched as it sounds I was picturing like, James Cameron or Steven Speilberg. I have seen other threads similar to this one that suggest possible cast, and I hate most of those suggestions, I think Christian Bale is the optimum choice for Desmond/Altair/Ezio I can just see him in the costume saying those lines... What do you think?

Animuses
10-08-2011, 03:58 PM
CGI movie made by the AC devs with the voice actors returning.

Serrachio
10-08-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm kinda wary of real-world adaptions of game series, because they always seem like they're missing something or just don't fit in right.

Hopefully, if this was produced, I wouldn't like it to be a copy of the games, and would introduce a new story hopefully, just like the comics did with Daniel Cross.

DarthEzio55
10-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Animuses:
yes!!! A cgi movie would be perfect, but i'm not excited about an ac live action movie

ashassin96
10-08-2011, 04:18 PM

CGI? Really? Wouldn't that come of a little cheesy? The only benefit would be being able to retain the voice actors...

ashassin96
10-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Serrachio:
I'm kinda wary of real-world adaptions of game series, because they always seem like they're missing something or just don't fit in right.

Hopefully, if this was produced, I wouldn't like it to be a copy of the games, and would introduce a new story hopefully, just like the comics did with Daniel Cross.

What is it with everyone and wanting an AC movie to make an entirely new storyline? I think that's an awful idea. I think Ubisoft can go deeper into the existing installments with movies, like if they made a movie adaption to the first game they could show how Desmond ended up at Abstergo and stuff like that.

Animuses
10-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by ashassin96:
CGI? Really? Wouldn't that come of a little cheesy? The only benefit would be being able to retain the voice actors...
This is definitely cheesy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVWhWsgHzKM)

ashassin96
10-08-2011, 05:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ashassin96:
This is definitely cheesy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVWhWsgHzKM) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I wouldn't call that ceesy, but it's a trailer, the idea of a full length feature film all in 100% cgi just seems ridiculous to me.

Animuses
10-08-2011, 05:18 PM
That trailer that closely resembles a clip from a movie.

AC could easily be made into a CGI movie.

MeSkate
10-08-2011, 05:29 PM
i heard that a movie will come out in like 2012 or 2013, though i don't know how reliable the source is.

ashassin96
10-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by MeSkate:
i heard that a movie will come out in like 2012 or 2013, though i don't know how reliable the source is.

Yes, I heard similar, rumours that Ubisoft said they would have scripts ready by the end of this year for AC, SplinterCell and Ghost Recon.

SleezeRocker
10-08-2011, 06:07 PM
I still see Assasisn's Creed more as a TV series than a CGI/Live movie.

Ubi can get more story done in TV series than a 2hr movie, that's what I think.

NewBlade200
10-08-2011, 06:19 PM
It's impossible to do any of the ACs justice with just 2 hours of live action. The only way to do it right is to make the movie in the same universe but with different chars, or to have a whole series to fit all the important parts in.

SixKeys
10-08-2011, 06:20 PM
They don't need big names, they need people with vision and an understanding of the franchise. I don't trust Hollywood adaptations of video games, so I'm extremely wary about seeing AC on the big screen. The short film that Ubi made themselves a few years ago (forgot the title) featuring Giovanni Auditore was pretty good, since they got the actual actors - save for Ezio - from the game to reprise their roles in live action. Also, that short was clearly made for fans who were already familiar with the series and so they didn't waste time trying to simplify the story or characters for a larger audience. It just got straight to business. I wouldn't mind seeing a movie like that, made by Ubisoft themselves, but I'm afraid that as soon as the rights get handed over to a big studio like Warner Bros. or 20th Century Fox, they're going to mess it up in a big way.

ashassin96
10-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by SixKeys:
They don't need big names, they need people with vision and an understanding of the franchise. I don't trust Hollywood adaptations of video games, so I'm extremely wary about seeing AC on the big screen. The short film that Ubi made themselves a few years ago (forgot the title) featuring Giovanni Auditore was pretty good, since they got the actual actors - save for Ezio - from the game to reprise their roles in live action. Also, that short was clearly made for fans who were already familiar with the series and so they didn't waste time trying to simplify the story or characters for a larger audience. It just got straight to business. I wouldn't mind seeing a movie like that, made by Ubisoft themselves, but I'm afraid that as soon as the rights get handed over to a big studio like Warner Bros. or 20th Century Fox, they're going to mess it up in a big way.

But that's the good thing, Ubisoft plan on being in charge of the project while it gets directed by someone decent. It must have good actors or the story just won't be conveyed to it's full potential. I still think Christian Bale. In fact I uploaded a youtube video just now of my idea of the cast check it out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I4KiaQMpeE
Thanks.

souNdwAve89
10-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by MeSkate:

If you're gonna state that, at least give a source to where you found it.

A live action adaption is possible since Ubisoft did it with the live action short following Giovanni before the start of Assassin's Creed 2.

The problem with a CGI movie like the trailers we've seen for AC, AC2, ACB, and ACR is that they require a lot of time to develop. People say the same thing about the Star Wars: The Old Republic CGI trailers, who want a movie in that quality. The amount of detail, sound, animation etc in both Assassin's Creed and The Old Republics' trailer is a hard task. Look back to any animated movie on the big screen, have there been a movie in that type of quality? Not really. There are animated movies, but they are no where as detailed and polished to a point of how real it looks.

I think like what you guys said about it being a spinoff of the universe is possible. Look at what they did with the live action Prince of Persia movie. I personally thought it was okay and it was an entertaining movie. They used some materials from each game and names to make their own universe. I think this is a possibility to what an Assassin's Creed movie will be. They will have a new assassin and descendant while using some references from the games.

ace3001
10-08-2011, 08:11 PM
CGI movie made by the AC devs with the voice actors returning. Either ^ this, or no movie at all. Lineage was okay, but once again nothing special. And that was only 40 minutes. Imagine how a full length movie would ruin the franchise. :S

Calvarok
10-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Animuses:
CGI movie made by the AC devs with the voice actors returning. Either ^ this, or no movie at all. Lineage was okay, but once again nothing special. And that was only 40 minutes. Imagine how a full length movie would ruin the franchise. :S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But Lineage was low budget and DIDN'T ruin the franchise.

ace3001
10-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Animuses:
CGI movie made by the AC devs with the voice actors returning. Either ^ this, or no movie at all. Lineage was okay, but once again nothing special. And that was only 40 minutes. Imagine how a full length movie would ruin the franchise. :S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But Lineage was low budget and DIDN'T ruin the franchise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Lineage didn't ruin it because it was very short, and written by the same people as the games. If they make a Hollywood movie, they're gonna get so called "experts" to write the script and all, experts who have no damned idea about Assassin's Creed, and THAT will ruin the franchise.

Jexx21
10-08-2011, 08:55 PM
I thought they confirmed a while ago they were making movies for 3 of their games, Assassin's Creed being one of them.

EmperorxZurg
10-08-2011, 10:45 PM
dear Lord, please not James Cameron...I want someone who understands story structure. If he didn't love gore and the n word so much, I'd say Tarantino.
@Jexx, unfortunately, they have not. No plans for an AC movie. Ubisoft said they'd consider it once after the PoP movie with bruckheimer

Also, for the Lineage movie, they DID use professional script writers; just as they do for every AC game. So nothing would be ruined there. You guys are also hoping for A cast actors to be in this when that simply won't happen. Booking someone like Christian Bale would be the entire budget for the film. They would get a C actor, or if they're lucky, a B. As a film director myself that studies this stuff, a video game movie like this would get the same attention as PoP. So I would expect Bruckheimer as their firm has deals with his already. Maybe a subsidiary of Bruckheimer Films would do it. Plus, the Lineage movie used CGI elements. the entire backdrops were green screened after all. Most of the stuff in it that was real was only Giovanni and the small people. Everything else was made in post as usual in films

ashassin96
10-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by d1sturbedme_468:
dear Lord, please not James Cameron...I want someone who understands story structure. If he didn't love gore and the n word so much, I'd say Tarantino.
@Jexx, unfortunately, they have not. No plans for an AC movie. Ubisoft said they'd consider it once after the PoP movie with bruckheimer

Also, for the Lineage movie, they DID use professional script writers; just as they do for every AC game. So nothing would be ruined there. You guys are also hoping for A cast actors to be in this when that simply won't happen. Booking someone like Christian Bale would be the entire budget for the film. They would get a C actor, or if they're lucky, a B. As a film director myself that studies this stuff, a video game movie like this would get the same attention as PoP. So I would expect Bruckheimer as their firm has deals with his already. Maybe a subsidiary of Bruckheimer Films would do it. Plus, the Lineage movie used CGI elements. the entire backdrops were green screened after all. Most of the stuff in it that was real was only Giovanni and the small people. Everything else was made in post as usual in films

Surely the budget for an AC film will be high enough to have some well known actors, like Christian Bale. He's just the only actor I can see playing that part well.

EmperorxZurg
10-08-2011, 11:44 PM
no, it really isn't. For example, he was paid US$38,000,000 for the entire movie of the Dark Knight. For a lesser known film such as this that would not be a blockbuster (I know AC is great and all, but we have to face it; it won't get the same publicity as some of the big names out there), that would be their entire project fund. It's simply a bad business decision that they would never use. Now a lesser actor, such as Jake Gyllynhall which Disney hired for PoP, was paid 10 mill; and afterwards, Disney was chastised for making that anti-cost effective decision. As artistic as movies are, the producers and people paying for it have to think "How much will I profit on this?" Someone like Christian Bale PLUS all the detail that's needed to make this film is simply not realistic. If I were directing, I would hire a C or B actor who has a personal interest in the game, Have Corey May write the script as he has done for AC, and have the game director on set as I pay attention to historical facts and setting detail to recreate the period. Then, the actor would be the bright point of which the setting helps contribute to the story. You don't need the big name everyone knows about for a film like this; just one who's moderately well, can pull off a performance, and has a personal connection with the story. Jake Gyllynhall for example is a HUGE PoP fan. Hence why he loved doing this film (Besides his hefty salary. He got paid WAY too much for a film like this).

waynedavies89
10-09-2011, 06:27 AM
The film will most likely be done Live-Action in house at the ubisoft film studio in Paris using Hybride Technologies like in Lineage. Probably work up a deal with Sony for distribution and extra finances

What ever happens AC, Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon will have feature films

lukaszep
10-09-2011, 07:29 AM
NO, please GOD not James Cameron or Steven Spielberg. That would be AWFUL.

James Cameron- would use his favorite actors again and would throw any decent plot out the picture.

Steven Spielberg- Would somehow manage to work in a love story between a young boy and his blade against the world.

An Assassins Creed movie needs a director like David Fincher or Matthew Vaughn http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Skuldpt
10-09-2011, 07:30 AM
I saw the movie was coming in 2012 and here is my source: Filme AC (http://www.techtudo.com.br/jogos/noticia/2011/10/ubisoft-confirma-novo-assassins-creed-para-2012-antes-do-fim-do-mundo.html)
Sorry, that it is in Portuguese, but it's where I saw it.

And I preferred that Ubi actually make TV Series more than a movie, but oh well!

Jexx21
10-09-2011, 07:57 AM
And UbiSoft did confirm a movie for AC actually. I saw it on PC Gamer's site a while ago.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05...udios-movie-planned/ (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/16/assassins-creed-revelations-being-developed-by-six-studios-movie-planned/)

their source: http://www.variety.com/article...d=3628&query=ubisoft (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118037076?refCatId=3628&query=ubisoft)

SixKeys
10-09-2011, 09:28 AM
I don't know who would be the ideal actor for Ezio (since Roger Craig Smith likely isn't an option), but certainly not Christian Bale. If they started from the beginning of Ezio's story, he'd be way too old to play a teenager, and he doesn't have the charisma of a wise, old mentor.

If it were up to me, I'd cast a lesser-known actor who actually is (part-)Italian or at least looks the part. Jake Gyllenhaal posing as a Persian warrior in PoP was laughable. Lesser-known actors and directors means less pressure and less media attention, meaning the crew could focus on making a good movie instead of parading their star around on every daytime TV show.

Just look at Lord of the Rings. When people first heard about it, they recoiled at the thought of Peter "Bad Taste" Jackson directing an epic fantasy trilogy. Many of the actors like Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom and Andy Serkis were considered beginners or B-cast at the time. The risk was enormous, but look at the payoff. Same with Pirates of the Caribbean. Johnny Depp was mostly famous for arthouse films at the time (and one or two Tim Burton flicks), Gore Verbinski wasn't exactly an A-list director and the plot was based off a theme park ride. No-one believed it could possibly work. Yet they pulled it off, because they had more to prove.

ShaneO7K
10-09-2011, 09:31 AM
I would prefer any AC movie to be in CGI, this way it has every chance to have the same feel from the chracters and keep the voice actors.

ashassin96
10-09-2011, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by d1sturbedme_468:
no, it really isn't. For example, he was paid US$38,000,000 for the entire movie of the Dark Knight.[QUOTE]

As I understand it, an actor gets paid a set amount, and then a percentage of the profits. So if the movie does well the more money an actor makes. The Dark Knight was extremely sucessful hence Bale's $38,000,000.

Silvermoth
10-10-2011, 02:49 AM
I hope they film on location. It would be dreadful to see an Assassin's Creed movie (especially if it starred Ezio) is a boring location or sandlot out the back of LA or something

archie7272
10-10-2011, 05:09 AM
Assassin's Creed: Explosions - Directed by Michael Bay!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTl9ni8fVFI

blazefp
10-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Skuldpt:
I saw the movie was coming in 2012 and here is my source: Filme AC (http://www.techtudo.com.br/jogos/noticia/2011/10/ubisoft-confirma-novo-assassins-creed-para-2012-antes-do-fim-do-mundo.html)
Sorry, that it is in Portuguese, but it's where I saw it.

And I preferred that Ubi actually make TV Series more than a movie, but oh well!

Gimme a moment and I'll translate it

EDIT: Ok this is nothing new, just that interview when Amancio said Desmond's story would end in 2012 but AC would continue afterwards. Nothing about any AC Movie