PDA

View Full Version : system upgrade question

Gwalker70
01-13-2005, 07:24 PM
I have an AMD 2.5 barton and Asus MB with a gig of ram and a RAd pro 9800 ...

i have some money to burn.. what should I get to make games run better? I was looking at one of the two...

a 939 socket MB with a athlon 64 3.2 ,, around 350 bucks

or a Nvidia 6800 ultra around 400 bucks

one or the other.. thanks for your input

ginger_cat
01-13-2005, 07:42 PM
If the memory is good for the new mobo, I'd go for the 939 athlon + mobo and think about the graphics card later. IMHO you want the processing power before you make it look really pretty http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Consider whether you want to go PCI-E or not.

james_ander
01-13-2005, 08:06 PM
I am considering something like your upgrade in PCI-e.

PCI-e mobos for AMD are already hitting the marget. They use DDR memory.

New PCI-e graphics cards from ATI are supposed to come out soon, but I whether they will really exist or be more high end ATI vaporware remains to be seen,

Gwalker70
01-13-2005, 09:26 PM
if you read toms hardware guide website vid cards can jump the frames just as well as cpu's so its a tough call hehehe

noshens
01-13-2005, 09:53 PM
there, i saved you 50 dollars

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1133509&sku=A455-2110%20B

Asus A8V Deluxe VIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor
Masscool Socket 754/939 CPU Cooling Fan
Soyo Black ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case
all together for $300.

Gwalker70
01-13-2005, 11:30 PM
man thanks.. but i hate via i am wanting to go Nforce

LuckyBoy1
01-13-2005, 11:40 PM
You won't get the good out of the fancy video card without the CPU and RAM to push it along. Get the foundation before you start hanging the trim! Remember, you are going to need 3200 RAM and no, don't beleive the eggheads who say your slower RAM will work well because chances are, it won't! Still, DDR2 capable AMD 64 mommaboards are just around the corner (or so I've been told) and if you can hold on about two more weeks, you can get a DDR2 capable mommaboard for that AMD 939 pin 64

Gwalker70
01-13-2005, 11:48 PM
i have good ram duel side 3200 ... the new boards are all going to be pci slot for video and the cards coming out will be as well i want to take advatage of the AGP cards that will be cheaper .... I thought there are 400 mh ram boards on teh market now thoug??

MO_JOJO
01-14-2005, 12:03 AM
What do you guys know about the AMD 64 FX series CPU? Which CPU do you recommend? I don't mind spending a lot, but not if I don't need it to play effectively. The AMD sight says the FX-55 is the most advanced processor and ideal for cinematic editing and production. I'm not Martin Scorsese, so maybe something cheaper will work, but there are too many to choose from, and I can't tell the diffences.

Gwalker70
01-14-2005, 12:09 AM
the brand new ones are way to expensive.... I am going from barton 2.5 to 64 3.2 or 3.8 not sure wich

MO_JOJO
01-14-2005, 12:17 AM
I don't care about expensive. Which one is the best? But at the same time, if the margin of difference between FX and 64 3.8 is slim, I will save the money. I just the Best foundation.

I am looking at the 939 socket NForce4 Mo-boards. Is there a noticeable difference in mfr's? Asus seems to be the priciest. Any to stay away from?

Also, LuckyBoy1 what is the advantage of DDR2 over exsisting DDR RAM?

LuckyBoy1
01-14-2005, 12:29 AM
Supposed to be faster, cuts your lawn and slices your bread and makes the fishing good again! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Actually, I'm suspicious of the DDR2 just as I was suspicious of PCI Express. Remember when AGP X8 boards came out and all the "people in the know" said it would be so much faster than AGP X4? As it turned out, it is at best 3% faster than AGP X4 and I've seen no evidence that says that the PCI Express did much for us besides make it harder to use our older cards in it. DDR2 is supposed to be faster than DDR. How much faster? I can't get a straight answer on that one. I suspect it's just another way to try and get us to spend money when it wasn't needed. Still, it's supposedly what we are all going to, so it's something to look into. I hope you get a clearer answer than I got. Be suspicious of anything that says something like...

While we know it's not giving impressive boosts in performance right now, as soon as other, more capable components come out, it willl begin to shine at that time...

Yeah... right!

Now, as far as the CPU thing goes... The AMD 64 chips that have 1 MB of cache are better for gaming, especially when you start dealing with more pipleines like with the 800XT and the Ultra.

MO_JOJO
01-14-2005, 12:35 AM
Thanks, Lucky. I know there must be lots of guys looking to upgrade too, so anyone else who wants to put their 2 cents in -- your opinion is valuable here.

Owlsphone
01-14-2005, 12:48 AM
I agree with Luckyboy.

It has been shown that the newest video cards out there are actually too fast for the fastest cpu on the market today. A 6800 Ultra was actually waiting for the AMD64 4000+.

So build the foundation. Get the cpu first as the 9800 pro is still a quite capable card. That Barton will be holding your graphics card back if you bought that first.

I also got the link Noshens gave you in an email from TigerDirect. Very good products there at a very inexpensive price. I would seriously consider that bundle deal.

MO_JOJO
01-14-2005, 01:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
Supposed to be faster, cuts your lawn and slices your bread and makes the fishing good again! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Actually, I'm suspicious of the DDR2 just as I was suspicious of PCI Express. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does the AMD FX series support the 6800 Ultra?

Do you really think PCI-E is just a new connector to force us to buy new equip, or wouldn't it make sense that it just hasn't been out long enough for the hardware it supports to make full use of its potential? I plan on getting a 939 socket, 1Gb FSB MoBoard that has at least 1 PCI-E port and a DVI port for better monitor response time.

Does this hobby (no offense intended) have no end?

The190Flyer
01-14-2005, 06:42 AM
DDR2 for AMD's is coming out soon. About the DDR2 questions, they use new kind of IC chips that allow them to hold far more info, also DDR2 PC5400 (667 MHz) is "supposed to be comin out in the latter half of the year. PCI-E is waiting for it to be consumer friendly, before/if they bring it farther into the market.
An AMD with DDR2 is gonna be a screamer. Also with the 64-FX series, if you can scrounge up the money the FX-55 is the top one on the market right now, in a test in Maximum PC it slaughtered the P4 3.46EE in about every category they tested.

S! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

a.k.a. BIFF P-51 PILOT in ubi.com lobbies

LW_Icarus
01-14-2005, 06:53 AM
My point of view on it is to build the fastest "yesterday" machine.

all the technology that was cutting edge 6 mos ago is downright cheap today. I am gonna stick with AGP for awhile yet, and Im still using a 478 pin P4. the 3.2ee intel chip is like 250 bucks everywhere, cheaper if you shop around, the only piece I have that is "cutting edge" is a new X800XT.

as to the original question, Id probably upgrade the Mobo before the video card. its not like the 9800 isnt still a good card. except for pixel shader 3 support the nvidia card isnt gonna give you enough improvement to justify the price. IMO of course