PDA

View Full Version : Convergience affecting MV?

PFS_BlackBird
09-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Hello all,

I had a discussion with one of my squadmates that still flies the old il2. If anyone remembers that game. I have been flying there for 3 years before i went flying here. My favourite ride was the Yak 9t. After all this time of flying i pretty much knew everything about it.

Now, this bird has a 37mm cannon that fires from the nose. I always set my convergience to 1000m, but it could have been any other setting, cause it is going straight anyway.
However, i had the idea that i had to fire with more deflection when i had it on i.e. 300m. It also seemed to me that it was hitting less hard with the convergience set lower.

I don't know much about guns or how they operate. So if anyone can tell me if i was seeing ghosts or that this is actually true and that it is still present i would be delighted http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Therefore my question:

Does convergience setting affects the muzzle velocity of the bullet in any way?

BB

PFS_BlackBird
09-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Hello all,

I had a discussion with one of my squadmates that still flies the old il2. If anyone remembers that game. I have been flying there for 3 years before i went flying here. My favourite ride was the Yak 9t. After all this time of flying i pretty much knew everything about it.

Now, this bird has a 37mm cannon that fires from the nose. I always set my convergience to 1000m, but it could have been any other setting, cause it is going straight anyway.
However, i had the idea that i had to fire with more deflection when i had it on i.e. 300m. It also seemed to me that it was hitting less hard with the convergience set lower.

I don't know much about guns or how they operate. So if anyone can tell me if i was seeing ghosts or that this is actually true and that it is still present i would be delighted http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Therefore my question:

Does convergience setting affects the muzzle velocity of the bullet in any way?

BB

berg417448
09-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Convergence should not affect velocity but it does have a vertical component not just horizontal. Deflection will be quite different from 300 and 1,000. That is...the arc the projectile flies in is diifferent for 1,000 than it is for 300. With the 37mm I usually use 150.