PDA

View Full Version : Desmond`s Link. SPOILERS

worsecuve
08-22-2011, 02:19 PM
The following information was taken from the AC Wikia.SPOILERS.
After both his extensive exposure to the Animus, and the strain of the Apple on his mind, Desmond's consciousness shattered, leaving him in a deep coma. He was placed back into an Animus by the Assassins in an attempt to keep his mind active. Here, Desmond slipped from the "White Room", which serves as the loading screen for genetic memories, into the "Black Room" ľ a 'safe' room where Desmond could access his own fragmented memories through a back door in the Animus' programming. Desmond had to repair his splintered subconscious piece by piece from within the Animus in order to wake himself from his coma, ultimately having to find a specific memory that linked himself, Alta´r and Ezio together to accomplish this.
Now i think that the memory that links Altair,Desmond and Ezio would have to do with them holding the piece of Eden. Let me explain.
For years after the events in AC1 Altair had studied and research the P.O.E and i believe that sometime during this time he saw into the future a found out about Desmond and Ezio. Several hundred years later the same happened with Ezio and he saw both Desmond and Altair.
Then when Desmond finds that memory it will be Altair talking to the future Ezio and Desmond talking to them. Now i know some of this won`t make sense but try to understand what i am saying.

ShaneO7K
08-22-2011, 03:07 PM
One of the keys may have shown Altair a conversion of Minerva, Juno and Jupiter talking about the solar flare and so on and then mention the prophet (Ezio) and how he was meant to deliver a message to Desmond.

Assassin_M
08-22-2011, 03:11 PM
I strongly hold my Speculation of the Nexus being Altair meeting Ezio meeting Desmond indirectly, to put it simply a memory in which they all realize each other`s existence at the same time.

LightRey
08-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Assassin_M:
I strongly hold my Speculation of the Nexus being Altair meeting Ezio meeting Desmond indirectly, to put it simply a memory in which they all realize each other`s existence at the same time.
My money's on that too.

worsecuve
08-22-2011, 04:23 PM
I strongly hold my Speculation of the Nexus being Altair meeting Ezio meeting Desmond indirectly, to put it simply a memory in which they all realize each other`s existence at the same time. thats pretty much what i am trying to say.

twenty_glyphs
08-22-2011, 04:55 PM

This is a really interesting theory, but it doesn't feel like it fits. My main problem with it is that according to The Secret Crusade, Alta´r doesn't appear to be aware of Ezio when he gives the seals and the Codex to the Polos. He says he wishes he knew who the messages on the seals were for. We know that he's already taken his one last look into the Apple at this point, since that's the last page in the Codex and they've said we'll find out what happened when Alta´r did look into it. We also know that he does know about the Prophet at this point too, but he doesn't seem to know too much about Ezio specifically. It's unlikely that Alta´r discovered anything after that point, since he likely fell in battle just after the Polos left. Even if he did, Ezio and Desmond could never see that memory of Alta´r since he's already passed on his Codex and the seals.

As for the Nexus itself, here's the original quote from the Game Informer reveal article:

"In order to wake up, Desmond must fix his fractured mind," Amancio says. "To do so, there's a key moment in his history -- an alignment between Desmond, Alta´r, and Ezio. That key moment -- that nexus -- is the way out into a waking state."

That sounds to me like there's a moment in Desmond's own past that he either doesn't realize was important until he knows more about Ezio and Alta´r, or maybe even a repressed memory of his own, that reveals the alignment between him and his two ancestors. It's likely that he needs to see a memory of Ezio's from his later life, and a memory of Alta´r's later life that he can only see through the seal. After seeing those, he may finally find his own memory that aligns himself with his ancestors and wake up.

Poodle_of_Doom
08-22-2011, 05:24 PM
I clicked out of interest, only to see a spoiler warning in your post. I didn't read anything after that,... Still, could you add a spoiler warning to the title too please?

Panfaun
08-22-2011, 05:29 PM
For using the secret crusade as a reference, I'm not sure if it holds up against the cannon of the game since they do diverge on many topics. Little details seemed to be added or changed depending on what the author wants.

I agree with the other things you've written down though.

To me, just them recognizing each other doesn't warrant anything special. It's more like something they did, or an event that repeats itself over and over again that has been in synch with their memories. TWCB scenes would be the easiest, but Ezio's visited only one TWCB. Altair might have visited one, maybe where Al-Mualim rediscovered the Assassin Order as Altair says in one of the codex pages.

I'm betting on an experience or mindset that they will share through the animus, disk, and finally transform Desmond. Perhaps a way to activate the temples? Like instead of just flipping a switch, you have to activate something special to do so.

Cercatrova
08-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by worsecuve:

Now i think that the memory that links Altair,Desmond and Ezio would have to do with them holding the piece of Eden. Let me explain.
For years after the events in AC1 Altair had studied and research the P.O.E and i believe that sometime during this time he saw into the future a found out about Desmond and Ezio. Several hundred years later the same happened with Ezio and he saw both Desmond and Altair.
Then when Desmond finds that memory it will be Altair talking to the future Ezio and Desmond talking to them.

There is nothing I know of (yet?) to suggest Altair knows or knows of Ezio or Desmond. Ezio knows of Desmond, but does not know him or have any special awareness of him (yet?)

I do not think Altair has/had any special knowledge that Desmond does not have already. We can speculate Altair saw "The Truth" or some sort of facsimile thereof. But Desmond has already also seen this, and the information from Altair's codex. A big part of this, I believe, is the ability of these people to comprehend what is happening. For example with "The Truth", Altair was not able to comprehend a building so large with glass made of metal. What did he call them, "metal mountains"? Frankly, there is little Altair was capable of understanding, and Ezio, for that matter wether he could or not(he couldn't) was just a "prophet" meant to facilitate the transmission of a message. It possibly could be argued Altair was not even meant to ever make contact with the apple (He is, after all not related to Ezio. But he did facilitate the movement of the POE to a place where Ezio would eventually come into contact with it.

My suspicion is that this "nexus" is being a bit over-hyped, it is, probably, just a realization.. Revelation if you will, albeit, an important one. It may be related to the mixing of Altair's and Ezio's bloodlines, and things that only a human in the present can begin to comprehend, and knowledge that can only be aquired by one person via the Animus- Desmond, by way of his varous ancestors. But, that is just my opinion.

However, thats the great part- I do not know, neither do you, we will not know until we play.

NewBlade200
08-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Des, and Altair all speaking to each other through Ezio like Minerva did? Sounds cool. Problem is, the cooler the scene, the worse the cliffhanger.

Cercatrova
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by NewBlade200:
Des, and Altair all speaking to each other through Ezio like Minerva did? Sounds cool. Problem is, the cooler the scene, the worse the cliffhanger.

You are talking something closer to "time travel", which I do not believe happens in Assassin's Creed, at least some Ubisoft developers have said things to that effect. If it does entail time travel, that would ruin the entire series for me. But this is just my opinion.

NewBlade200
08-22-2011, 10:20 PM
No, more like Altair uses the POE to see exactly what Ezio and Des would say, then leaves a hologram using the POE (its a macguffin) so that it simulates a conversation, only Ezio doesn't have a POE so he's still in the dark about Des.

Calvarok
08-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Cercatrova:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NewBlade200:

You are talking something closer to "time travel", which I do not believe happens in Assassin's Creed, at least some Ubisoft developers have said things to that effect. If it does entail time travel, that would ruin the entire series for me. But this is just my opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Time travel does exist in some form in Assassin's Creed. Abstergo has it recorded that a ship from the past appeared off the coast of some town, and dissapeared after a few seconds. Well, that's what I think they meant, the actual words were "Materialized in a future state".

Abstergo have TWCB artifacts that affect time, but they have sealed them away out of the fear that they might create paradoxes.

The apple shows things that will be invented or created in the future to its holder. I think that TWCB's technology can tell vaugly what will happen in the future. How else could one of them leave a message for Desmond after they died?

But I don't think that actual physical "let's set the car for 1987, Doc" time travel exists in Assassin's Creed.

Cercatrova
08-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
How else could one of them leave a message for Desmond after they died?

But I don't think that actual physical "let's set the car for 1987, Doc" time travel exists in Assassin's Creed.

Omniscience(All knowing), or a prophecy (Ezio is directly referred to as a prophet). I lean towards omnisceince, but indeed, there is a time travel POE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Eldridge), but it's extremely unstable and kills people, I suspect it will not come into play on it's own in the series, but that is just my opinion. However, what I was thinking in my previous post was closer to "let's set the car for 1987, Doc", and I would hate to see something like that. It could allow us to see some very interesting things, but it would get too messy, and be too much about flash and wow; Not good storyline, In my opinion.

Cercatrova
08-22-2011, 10:48 PM
The more I think about it the more I am thinking this is some intricate relationship between any or all of these factors:
omniscience
string theory or quantum mechanics
Etruscan Mythology
Predestination (And therefore prophecy?)
and Pythagorean mysticism.

Calvarok
08-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Cercatrova:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:
How else could one of them leave a message for Desmond after they died?

Omniscience(All knowledge(knowing)), or a prophecy (Ezio is directly referred to as a prophet). I lean towards omnisceince, but indeed, there is a time travel POE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Eldridge), but it's extremely unstable and kills people, I suspect it will not come into play on it's own in the series, but that is just my opinion. However, what I was thinking in my previous post was closer to "let's set the car for 1987, Doc", and I would hate to see something like that. It could allow us to see some very interesting things, but it would get too messy, and be too much about flash and wow; Not good storyline, In my opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I highly doubt that they are omnicient, expecially since they said directly that they are not gods, and all of their power comes from technology.

Ezio was called the prophet because he would be the one who would experience the message to Desmond, and pass it down through his DNA.

TWCB would have used their "future-seeing" devices to find out if the descendant of TWCB crossbreeds would ever come to the place to recieve the message, and then have gone back further to find the descendant of that line who would be in the right time to stop the catastrophe.

OBviously its more complicated than that, because they somehow knew that Desmond was going to be "destined" for the job, and worked things out so that Ezio left messages for him, and even somehow made the number of days till the templar satellite launch at the moment when Desmond entered the apple chamber 72.

There's a lot that doesn't make sense, but I think that technology, not omniecence is the answer.

After all, if they were omnicient, then they would have known about and how to stop the revolt of the humans and the sun catastrophe.

And Ubisoft has gone to so much trouble to say "Gods probably don't exist in Assassin's Creed, and definately not any of the ones that humans believe in" that it would be a bit weird for them to say that humans were created by an omnicient race.

Even if they don't call themselves gods and can be killed, that's really the same thing, isn't it?

I think the answer lies in the incredible complexity of TWCB's tech.

Cercatrova
08-22-2011, 11:03 PM
After all, if they were omnicient, then they would have known about and how to stop the revolt of the humans and the sun catastrophe.And Ubisoft has gone to so much trouble to say "Gods probably don't exist in Assassin's Creed, and definately not any of the ones that humans believe in" that it would be a bit weird for them to say that humans were created by an omnicient race.Even if they don't call themselves gods and can be killed, that's really the same thing, isn't it?I think the answer lies in the incredible complexity of TWCB's tech.

knowledge of how to do something does not imply the capabliity to change it or react to it. However, yes, the omniscience theory has problems, admittedly. But do not mix up omniscience with omnipotence or invincibility.

But I have to ask if you have exact quote, as "definately not any of the ones that humans believe in" leaves a lot of doors open. I am curious what can be implied from it. As what you say sort of implies there "are" deities of some sort, or "supernatural" beings maybe.

As it is, there are a lot of questions for sure:
If TWCB are not extinct:
Why do they not make another race to do their bidding?
Where are TWCB located?
Why do we never see them directly, only "holograms"?
Why does Desmond have to see Minerva via memories, and not in the present?

If they are extinct:
How can they have a conversation with someone in the present? (Regardless of how we see it through the "lens" of the Animus, IE Minerva converses with Ezio directly.)
What is their Agenda, they almost must have one)
Are they interested in the continued existence of mankind as we know it?
Attempting to gain the upper hand and make a comeback?
Attempting to come back and try to co-exist?

Questions that are not pertinent to their status of existence:
Why do they float?
Why did humans seeminly entirely forget their technology?
Who are the ones who saw what was coming during the war? just members of the first civilization? some humans?
Why do they need holograms if Juno can apparently talk directly to Desmond (In Santa Maria Aracoeli)?

Are TWCB alive in some sense?

Minerva: (to Desmond) Listen. When we were still flesh, and our homes still whole, your kind betrayed us.

But now we are dying. And time will work against us.

Suggests a few possibilities.
1. Their consciousness exists in some manner, but they are no longer physical living beings, possibly ancient memories in ancient computers that are like an Animus, or similar to them.
2. They are "dead" but in some sort of an afterlife (Pythagorean Mysticism?)
3. They are alive and on earth, possibly very directly influencing things(?), but remaining hidden and behind the scenes.
4. They are alive on a different planet, or in space, communicating by long range communications.
5. They are deities of limited powers, members of the "Etruscan" "Pantheon" or something even predating the Etruscan culture. They may be alive in a human sense, or not.

Of course there are many other possibilities, but these are what I take from what Minerva said in the above quotes.

Calvarok
08-22-2011, 11:57 PM
This is true. These are all important questions. What I mean by leaving the possibility of deity's open is that we've obviously never seen what happens after death in AC, and so it is unproven that nothing happens. After all, humans may have been created by TWCB, but TWCB could have been created by something else.

Cercatrova
08-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Indeed. I agree, that is an area we know nothing about as yet.

While there may not be deities in the Assassin's Creed Universe, there may be elements of religion that are "true", and there is no reason some of these could be entirely outside the "Abrahamic" religions. A form of life after death is notably present in Pythagorean mysticism, which has been strongly highlighted in the Davinci Disappearance DLC.

Calvarok
08-23-2011, 01:35 AM
And proved to be false. However, project Legacy has introduced a memory that may be the start of us getting answers. I don't know if you've read it, but just in case, I'll only link to it.
http://assassinscreed.wikia.co...ter_4_-_Frater_V.O.V (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Chapter_4_-_Frater_V.O.V).

If you haven't already, you should read every project Legacy memory. Some of them are incredibly important to this sort of discussion.

As for a deity existing, I don't think that Ubisoft is going to get into that at all. It's probably all going to be about the TWCB's stuff.

But as that chapter indicates, mysticism might be another story, although it too might be done through technology or chemistry.