PDA

View Full Version : Too linear

General_Lekauf
05-06-2011, 10:19 AM
As the title states I think that the games are becoming too linear. There is no choice in how you kill someone. You have to follow preset paths that if you stroll away from you lose. I liked in AC1 that you had to go out beat up some people, eves drop on people, and intercept letters. Tose were good game elements. But as soon as you got the go ahead it was up to you to make your decision on if you wanted to take him out unseen or kill every enemy in sight. Comment on opinions.

GunnarGunderson
05-06-2011, 12:42 PM
I agree, In 1 you gathered information on your target and then formulated a strategy. In the sequels you are told exactly where your target is, where the guards are, and where to climb to get a good spot to assassinate him. I think AC should have the assassination choices of the Hitman games

Skaevola
05-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I think the issue is that it's a lot harder to tell a story using non-linear progression than it is to tell a story in a linear way. They could go back to the non-linear gameplay of AC1, but I think the story would take a hit. I mean, just look at the quality and pacing of the stories between AC1 and AC2.

On a less serious note, what's with all these threads I've seen recently asking for features to return in their AC1 form? I mean, I liked Assassin's Creed and all, but Assassin's Creed 2 made huge steps forward in gameplay. In the days leading up to the release of AC2, you'd be hard-pressed to find a kind word towards AC1 on these forums. I think maybe we're getting a little too nostalgic, y'know? :P

General_Lekauf
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Well I like some of the things in AC2 but I wish the had incorperated the system from AC1 in to the game. As for what you said about no one saying anything nice about AC1 when AC2 was coming out. I personally believe the reason for that was we didn't know what AC2 was gonna be like. Its not that I didn't like Brotherhood or AC2 its just I wish you as a character had to do something instead of walking up to a pigeon coup or talking to someone. I highly doubt that your are going to find everything you need to know from one source.

General_Lekauf
05-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Also I personally liked AC1's story better. Because it was filled with twists you didn't see coming. You can figure out the whole story within a few hours of playing AC2 and Brotherhood.

phil.llllll
05-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Wingf00t:
They could go back to the non-linear gameplay of AC1, but I think the story would take a hit. I mean, just look at the quality and pacing of the stories between AC1 and AC2.

I saw the opposite. If anything, whatever improvements they made to gameplay in AC2, the story took a turn for the worse.

On a less serious note, what's with all these threads I've seen recently asking for features to return in their AC1 form? I mean, I liked Assassin's Creed and all, but Assassin's Creed 2 made huge steps forward in gameplay.

I don't think anyone is asking specifically for the exact same missions, but rather a return to the overall design of the game (the hunter and prey approach).

In the days leading up to the release of AC2, you'd be hard-pressed to find a kind word towards AC1 on these forums. I think maybe we're getting a little too nostalgic, y'know? :P

I don't remember that at all. Most people, as I recall, were looking forward to AC2 because of AC1.

iN3krO
05-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by General_Lekauf:
Also I personally liked AC1's story better. Because it was filled with twists you didn't see coming. You can figure out the whole story within a few hours of playing AC2 and Brotherhood.

Also your enimies gave you phrases to think on, also, me as a player, had the same questions altair had even before altair ask it to the rafikis http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But soon i understood that even if templars way was the only way to get 100% perfect world, it was a bad way... This reminds to Socrates that says you can't do what's good if you don't know the defenition of good so Templars were ignorantes comparing to assassin's... Al-Muhalim was good but PoE broke him, as templairs told altair when he killed them, the power consume your soul http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I've just focussed in one of the aspects of the game, if i started to tell everything i've learnt from ac and everything i've understand from ac just by repeating the game over and over again to see the conversations between altair and al-muhalim/rafikis you would be impressed... what have i learnt thought ac2/brotherhood?

ac2: Leonardo da Vinci wasn't only an artist

acb: Old rome isn't as big as i was thinking

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

shobhit7777777
05-06-2011, 03:27 PM
The AC1 concept was gold..but not well executed. Here's how we could include the 'Sandbox/planning' aspect of the first game

Ezio has a list of targets which he can assassinate in ANY order....just like the Borgia towers. (The main antagonist will be scripted)

Now Ezio carries out investigations to locate the target and then plans the best way to attack.

The investigations will involve the following:

1. Surveillance of the Main target: Ezio assigns members of the Brotherhood to spy on the main target just like he sends them on contracts in ACB. You can assign upto 3 Assassins and the more assassins the less time it takes to complete the task.

2. Tailing and interrogating target allies/Stealing packages: You follow and interrogate an Ally for information...like guard positions, target routine, weak spots in the building where you can infiltrate. These missions could be made interesting where you need to follow a guy as he carries a package, follow the package as it changes hands and then steal the package.

3. Completing a Courtesan/thief/Merc mission: Like a mini assassination quest where you kill their targets or free prisoners..in exchange for information

Each investigation unlocks a new info and new ways to approach the assassination.
Suppose the Assassins brotherhood reports that the Target always goes to a certain location at night. The interrogation/package stealing mission gives you access to the Guard uniforms and the Key to the targets mansion. The Underground mission tells you that the Target is going to make a public appearance at such noon at this location.

Now each info allows you to plan your assassination according to your playstyle. You can wait for your target at the set location at night and then ambush him/her......sneak into his/her mansion....or use social stealth to make a hit when he/she is making a public appearance. The first option allows a more direct combative approach as you ambush the target. The second allows you to use parkour/wallclimbing to gain access to the targets villa and use stealth to assassinate him/her. The third allows you to make a classic social stealth hit on the target. NOTE: Each location should allow ANY style regardless of the option..whether it be Stealth or Combat. The only difference is that the options should make their respective styles easier. Trying to use a direct assault approach in the third option should mean more guards and more hassle....and vice versa.

This allows a blend of scripted events and player decision making and adds replayability without repetition. But most importantly it makes us FEEL LIKE AN ASSASSIN!

Any feedback/comments/opinions?

itsamea-mario
05-06-2011, 03:44 PM

On a less serious note, what's with all these threads I've seen recently asking for features to return in their AC1 form? I mean, I liked Assassin's Creed and all, but Assassin's Creed 2 made huge steps forward in gameplay. In the days leading up to the release of AC2, you'd be hard-pressed to find a kind word towards AC1 on these forums. I think maybe we're getting a little too nostalgic, y'know? :P

Not really, i still occasionally go back to play AC1, one thing i notice in particular is how nice the landcapes look. there's a much greater sense of grandeur.
Also it was alot better at developing an atmosphere.
And the story is better in alot of aspects.

shobhit7777777
05-06-2011, 04:13 PM
there's a much greater sense of grandeur.
Also it was alot better at developing an atmosphere.
Big agree on this.
AC1 had a gritty and realistic look and feel to the environments. Plus you felt more like an Assassin
Ezio feels like more like a rebel freedom fighter. Like a revolutionary rather than a lone-wolf Assassin striking silently and swiftly