PDA

View Full Version : Yeesha page in Eder?

Srikandi
11-19-2003, 12:29 PM
... I can't find this one... hints? spoilers?

Srikandi
11-19-2003, 12:29 PM
... I can't find this one... hints? spoilers?

Kosh-
11-19-2003, 12:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Srikandi:
... I can't find this one... hints? spoilers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With a huff, and a puff, you'll find it.

Ki #34018

prism-ra
11-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Look towards the end of the level where you find Nick's notebook on top of the tunnel-mouth. You'll see it if you look around. This is a poorly designed jumping puzzle that, along with the clunky conrols, will take you a while to leapfrog from the ledge to the stone to the ledge upon which the page sits. It's a frustrating experience considering that it's hard to notice the thing in the first place...

CosimoDeMedici
11-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Not half as annoying as kicking around wicker baskets in a stream.

I'm glad to know that glowbugs can count. Who knew?

prism-ra
11-19-2003, 01:25 PM
Oh my god I know. There are 3 terrible puzzles (pooly done, poorly implemented or just plain impossible)

This page (poor controls etc.)

The fireflys! (god, it was hard enough to realize you need them to light up the cave, let alone the BS needed to get them in there, god damn!)

And the piller room in Kadish. I would have NEVER realized there was another room at the top. You are given NO clues. None!

These are the puzzles that brought my review score down to 8 form 10

Fritzken
11-19-2003, 01:33 PM
As far as the four pillars are concerned you are given a clue, in true MYST fashion:

1. The staircase leads back from the journey to the room with the columns.
2. The door that would lead you back to the elevetor upstairs may be closed but not opened. No need to go back then...
3. Getting the pillars up to reach the journey is no task at all. Complicated mechanics like the one here must have a more challenging purpose.

Those three facts pointed me in the right direction, though I have to admit that it took me a few hours before I got the idea. But that's part of the fun I'd say. Don't be impatient, don't let things frustrate you to quickly and give yourself a chance to combine what you know and make some sense of it.

prism-ra
11-19-2003, 02:04 PM
I'm sorry. I don't agree. I would have literally NEVER got it. I saw the stained glass in the gallery and I couldn't see the significance; I figured I was done with the room. There should have been a note somewhere like 'I just changed the code in the pillar room' or something. Cyan expects you to be psychic in some situations. I admit, I am easily frustrated and I DON'T like having to wander around for literally HOURS trying to figure out a puzzle I don't even know is there! That was it, I didn't know it was there. I had NO clue. BAD BAD BAD. Challenging is one thing but come on! The rest of the game was the perfect difficulty. I like being challenged to think but not to the point where I get pissed off. Oh well, I guess I don't have the patience for adventure games like I used to. ; )

chorner
11-19-2003, 03:01 PM
I had no trouble spotting the 'exit' to the room (first thing I noticed even before pulling the levers) ... but where in the heck did the #'ered sequence come from?

Was rather lame ... it seems it was "almost" the opposite of what I used to get the journey from the "balcony" ... but not quite. I would assume the RWGB (red white green blue) pillars in the "clue room" along with the rotating numbers could give the equation, but uhhhmmm sure??

I found the puzzles in this game to be made in such a fashion that its not intellectually stimulating, but merely frustrating trying to make sense even of the clues given; along with the hassles of the crude controls. They don't require intelligence, so much as time to discover; which is absolute crap. The only puzzle I really enjoyed was the last puzzle of this age, after the pillars. Finding the door "combo" was quite fun and rewarding.

The rest of the puzzles left me thinking after completion "how gay was that .... " Myst 3: Exhile had MUCH better puzzles IMHO.

P.S- 1 jump? lmao!! proof of the lack of true logic required to solve any of the puzzles.

Usually you can attack problems from the back, or by pattern recognition, or by process of elimination ... sadly 90% of the puzzles lacked any of those methods to figure a plan; they all required time ... time f'ing around searching more than the sort of question you would find on an IQ test, then if you need help searching for the clues.

I didn't like the puzzles as a whole in this game at all .. rather sloppy.

Kosh-
11-19-2003, 03:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chorner:
The rest of the puzzles left me thinking after completion "how gay was that .... "<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The puzzles were full of life and happy-go-lucky? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Ki #34018

chorner
11-19-2003, 04:05 PM
hahaha http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif So I perhaps twisted the use of the word, but I'm sure you're good enough at solving lame puzzles after playing URU that you can figure out the intended meaning *win, wink*

CosimoDeMedici
11-19-2003, 04:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>P.S- 1 jump? lmao!! proof of the lack of true logic required to solve any of the puzzles.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would love to know the inside story on this particular puzzle. I would say that within the entire Myst series that solution was the most idiotic of all by a country mile.

They can't feel good about that one. They just can't.

JasperdogBSO
11-19-2003, 04:31 PM
There is a very definite reason for the numbers to get the "true" solution to the pillar puzzle, the one that leats you move on. The clue is in the gallery, and it has to do with the "clock", and the colored numbers on its edge. Remember, this age is more about seeing what is NOT there than what is.

I would say that the puzzle just before it is the more stumping one. I analyzed that clue forever and still don't know how they came up with their answer.

chorner
11-19-2003, 04:59 PM
I figured that with the clock ... but I actually figured it out by messing around doing almost the reverse of the "combo" I used to push the platforms up to hit the Journey cloth. Not by using the RWGB clock.

I also would agree -about the 3rd puzzle-, I saw absolutely no logic in the puzzle before the pillars. It was like counting to 3 over again, or connecting the dots ... I didn't see any correlation between any clues and the solution.

Like I said .. the rest of the puzzles other than those that were in that age weren't really puzzles, but explorations ... very boring. Walk along, press a button, walk some more, read a little, walk on, press another button ... done.

The fireflies .... just rediculous. SHould have been able to catch that stingray, cook it up ... eat, then take one of the logs and wrap some cloth around it, then head up to the caves ... lol, fireflies that only allow you 1 jump before they take off? hahaha

chorner
11-19-2003, 05:01 PM
p.s- you would light the cloth on the stick on fire with the fire you create to cook the stingray, and use the puffers to blow ashes? lol ... a million other cool -and better- ways they could have presented that "puzzle"

CosimoDeMedici
11-19-2003, 05:10 PM
LOL. Yeah, but you would only be allowed to use your feet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> SHould have been able to catch that stingray, cook it up ... eat, then take one of the logs and wrap some cloth around it, then head up to the caves ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

chorner
11-19-2003, 05:58 PM
lol .. yeah, that would be the puzzle. You can only use your feet ... wooo what a puzzle! haha

The clue in the book would be like "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; in order to see the truth of a man, you have to look within; for to love a man with no hands, it would be impossible otherwise. Show the man your fish, and he will open his heart."

hahaha http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Srikandi
11-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Thanks all for the hints. Didn't mean to start such a heated discussion!

I have to agree that the firefly puzzle on this level was one of the most potentially annoying ever. Even with all the ingredients in place, it took me a long time to complete it successfully (darn traps kept rolling around). But I dealt with it by adopting the attitude that it was put there to help me develop a zen-like patience.

The Kadish puzzles were hard, and I had to use a couple of hints, but I liked them anyway -- after the fact, they made sense, and I really liked the look of the area. Mind you, if I lived in a world where I had no access to spoilers (like when I played the first Myst), I would probably have broken the CD http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Edit: just got the page, and for the information of anyone else who reads this thread: it isn't necessary to jump from the arch to the tall stone; it's possible to get on top of the stone by using a combination of
"jump" and "walk forward" from the back side. I wonder how many other things you can get on top of this way? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Srikandi on Wed November 19 2003 at 05:57 PM.]

Kosh-
11-19-2003, 08:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chorner:
hahaha http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif So I perhaps twisted the use of the word, but I'm sure you're good enough at solving lame puzzles after playing URU that you can figure out the intended meaning *win, wink*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah, so you intended it as a derogatory?

Ki #34018

_ Paula _
11-19-2003, 08:10 PM
hahaha http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif So I perhaps twisted the use of the word, but I'm sure you're good enough at solving lame puzzles after playing URU that you can figure out the intended meaning *win, wink*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please refrain from making comments which could be construed as being derogatory toward any person or groups of people.

Pa'lua (in Cavern)

cookymonster666
11-19-2003, 08:29 PM
which group of people do you think he was being derogatory towards? homosexuals or the people who came up with the lame firefly puzzle?
i know who my money's on

SwansofNever
11-19-2003, 11:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Srikandi:
I have to agree that the firefly puzzle on this level was one of the most potentially annoying ever. Even with all the ingredients in place, it took me a long time to complete it successfully (darn traps kept rolling around). But I dealt with it by adopting the attitude that it was put there to help me develop a zen-like patience.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, a lot of people use the same technique to deal with other hard things - LIKE LOSING THEIR FAMILY IN A FIRE.

(sarcasm translator: the puzzle sucked. it was tantamount to watching your loved ones roast. your comments only seem to make that more clear.)

HG1973
11-20-2003, 10:18 PM
hehe

I know it didn't make to much sense initially. I thought you had to use them around the puffers so they would engulf you or something.

"Darn fireflies, get over here!"

Moleculor
11-20-2003, 10:43 PM
The pillars were, I'll admit, hard at first. If I hadn't copied all the numbers on the wheel down wrong on a piece of paper though, I would have eventually gotten it. Why?

Simple. I ended up writing down everything about that wheel. Four columns in the stained glass window. Four levers. Each go left to right. Four colors. Three numbers are colored each color. I wrote those numbers down. If I hadn't written the red colors down wrong, I would have guessed the combination right.

Simply take the numbers that are missing from the colored numbers (the possible numbers are one through four, and each set of three numbers only does three of those four) and associate it with the appropriate colored lever. Since the levers went from left to right RWGB, you put the numbers that were missing (1, 4, 1, and 2) in the order of the colors they represented, and pulled those levers those many times.

In hindsight, it's a 'simple' puzzle. But there could have been a few things done better:

That 'Verse-Book' on your shelf could have had a point beyond giving names to the ages. They could have had clues. A clue for that age would have been 'Seek that which is not there' or something. After all, you walked where there was no light, used numbers that weren't there, and again, used numbers that weren't there. And all the clues weren't actually in that age, they were elsewhere. The levers (just to make it a bit easier) could have been colored. That would have helped TONS. But then the puzzle would have been easier and the game would have been much MUCH shorter (and the game is already pretty short).

So... *shrug*

Bedlam1
11-21-2003, 01:52 AM
The 3rd puzzel in kadiesh (or what ever) was hands down the worst puzzel in the game. It makes NO SENSE! I mean it does, but the clues they give you and the answer... it's just to big a gap.

frenyo
11-21-2003, 03:56 AM
Back to the original topic: to get the Relto-page (Yeesha-page) from the ledge in Kemo is not simple, I admit. But it depends on practice. When I met with it 1st time a few months ago, it took dozens of tries until I fetched it. Last time the 2nd try was OK.

-----------------
Frenyo/Norfren
Beta tester
Guild of Greeters