PDA

View Full Version : Is Opening the Ports Dangerous for My Computer

mrgoboom
03-31-2011, 09:47 PM
I don't know much about computers and my dad has the final call anyway, but could opening the ports needed for a decent multiplayer connection time make us more vulnerable to hackers?

ranarr
04-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by mrgoboom:
I don't know much about computers and my dad has the final call anyway, but could opening the ports needed for a decent multiplayer connection time make us more vulnerable to hackers?

No, nothing bad can happen aslong as you open the ports advised. Good luck.

NightmareGK13
04-01-2011, 04:24 AM
well i opened the ports and my connection got super slow

after closing them it's back to normal

Crumplecorn
04-01-2011, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by NightmareGK13:
well i opened the ports and my connection got super slow

after closing them it's back to normal That simply should not happen.

Mr_Shade
04-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Opening the required ports - should not affect anything, other than allowing you to play..

Most routers use UPnP - which automatically open ports for games anyway.

As long as you still use windows firewall and have not disabled it, or turned off your routers, or added your PC to a DMZ - you are no more at risk than anyone else.

Opening ports is common practice, for PC games and other software - but like I said, most routers should do it for you - sometimes they do not though..

As with anything though, if you do not know what to do, it's best to check with the routers support website.

Remember never turn off a firewall for any length of time unless you know what you are doing.

De_Ninja
04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
A question connected to it-
What ports am I supposed to open and how?

Acherrum
04-01-2011, 11:46 AM
read the pc issues topic @ the top of the list.

And if you don't know how, just wait for the patch.

Windrius
04-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by mrgoboom:

Actually yes, opening ports DO make you vulnerable. Not by much tho. It would prolly take a team of hackers to hax you. :P
But on a side note, you are not vulnerable to some random hackers as long as your firewall is on.

Crumplecorn
04-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Windrius:
Actually yes, opening ports DO make you vulnerable. Not by much tho. It would prolly take a team of hackers to hax you. :P Oh, please do elaborate...

mrgoboom
04-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Opening ports is common practice, for PC games and other software - but like I said, most routers should do it for you - sometimes they do not though..

So essentially if the only reason it doesn't work is my ISP blocks port 1000 then I shouldn't need to do anything except download the patch. Unless of course I have one of those routers... I doubt it though, first time I have had a problem like this.