PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3 Desmond Gameplay

Calvarok
08-31-2011, 12:53 AM
So, presuming AC3 is the next game after Revelations, which it appears it may be, Desmond will most likely awake with important and mind-blowing knowledge about The First Civilization, and the mission they've tasked him. He will probably have Ezio's Eagle Sense, maybe even an enhanced version compared to the one seen in Revelations, as an effect of reaching the nexus and fully reconciling the memories of his ancestors so that their personalities no longer threaten to dominate his own. He may also have the ability to relive memories freely, as a result of "mastering" the Bleeding Effect.

So, how will the story and gameplay move forward from there? If Desmond has the knowledge and abilities of the greatest Assassins who ever lived at the height of their power, it seems all that is nessesary is for the Assassins to introduce him to their modern weaponry. And here's where things may get interesting. With Desmond being fully capable of making a difference in the modern world, it's probable that we will be playing as him a lot more than any of the previous games, and actually assassinating important targets. However, since we know that for some reason he will still have to relive the memories of his ancestor, it is likely that their weaponry and abilities will be very different, since Ubisoft will want to set the ancestor in a different period in time. So does this mean that Assassin's Creed 3 is going to consist of two very different styles of gameplay? Or will the modern Assassin's use almost the same gameplay elements as past ones, just with a fancy skin over them. What do you guys think could be done in regards to making Desmond's gameplay unique, but just as deep as the animus gameplay?

Assassin_M
08-31-2011, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
So, presuming AC3 is the next game after Revelations, which it appears it may be, Desmond will most likely awake with important and mind-blowing knowledge about The First Civilization, and the mission they've tasked him. He will probably have Ezio's Eagle Sense, maybe even an enhanced version compared to the one seen in Revelations, as an effect of reaching the nexus and fully reconciling the memories of his ancestors so that their personalities no longer threaten to dominate his own. He may also have the ability to relive memories freely, as a result of "mastering" the Bleeding Effect.

So, how will the story and gameplay move forward from there? If Desmond has the knowledge and abilities of the greatest Assassins who ever lived at the height of their power, it seems all that is nessesary is for the Assassins to introduce him to their modern weaponry. And here's where things may get interesting. With Desmond being fully capable of making a difference in the modern world, it's probable that we will be playing as him a lot more than any of the previous games, and actually assassinating important targets. However, since we know that for some reason he will still have to relive the memories of his ancestor, it is likely that their weaponry and abilities will be very different, since Ubisoft will want to set the ancestor in a different period in time. So does this mean that Assassin's Creed 3 is going to consist of two very different styles of gameplay? Or will the modern Assassin's use almost the same gameplay elements as past ones, just with a fancy skin over them. What do you guys think could be done in regards to making Desmond's gameplay unique, but just as deep as the animus gameplay?
Dear Sir, I did not expect this from you..
it deeply hurts me to tell you this...
"There is already a Thread that discusses AC III"
SORRY !! IM SO SORRY http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Animuses
08-31-2011, 09:03 AM
@Assassin_M
This is a specific topic that deserves its own thread.
@Calvarok
I've been thinking Desmond will control the Bleeding Effect since they talked about it in AC2. I figured Desmond's role would be so big in AC3 that he'd somehow have to visit his ancestor without the Animus.
I've always been curious about the gameplay and I have no idea how it will be. Who knows? Maybe it'll be totally different from the Animus, or maybe very similar just with different, more modern elements.

Rakudaton
08-31-2011, 09:33 AM
How do you know Desmond's going to be looking at genetic memory again in ACIII? I thought the general consensus was that it will be fully his game, without any ancestors. I can't really imagine them bringing in a new ancestor when it's just become Desmond's show.

Now, I can just about imagine him using the Bleeding Effect to gain knowledge about situations -- for example, he might briefly relive memories of someone accessing one of the "temples" to make it easier for him. But a whole new ancestor's storyline being played out parallel to his? Hmm... I'm not feeling it.

medcsu11
08-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Am I the only one that can care less about Desmond and would rather just romp around in ancient cities, etc while playing Desmond on a very minor role?

LightRey
08-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Rakudaton:
How do you know Desmond's going to be looking at genetic memory again in ACIII? I thought the general consensus was that it will be fully his game, without any ancestors. I can't really imagine them bringing in a new ancestor when it's just become Desmond's show.

Now, I can just about imagine him using the Bleeding Effect to gain knowledge about situations -- for example, he might briefly relive memories of someone accessing one of the "temples" to make it easier for him. But a whole new ancestor's storyline being played out parallel to his? Hmm... I'm not feeling it.
I very much doubt that Ubi will ditch the entire animus concept in ACIII. It has also never been stated that ACIII will be Desmond-alone.

Animuses
08-31-2011, 09:38 AM
@Rakudaton
I don't see them going through ancestor's memories like Altair and Ezio, but much like you previously stated. It's Desmond's game, I only see him looking at the memories of his ancestors when he needs some sort of information.

HIBEE12
08-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Animuses:
@Rakudaton
I don't see them going through ancestor's memories like Altair and Ezio, but much like you previously stated. It's Desmond's game, I only see him looking at the memories of his ancestors when he needs some sort of information.

exactly,though i do like the historical sections, but i like to see more of desmond towards ACR

ace3001
08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by medcsu11:
Am I the only one that can care less about Desmond and would rather just romp around in ancient cities, etc while playing Desmond on a very minor role? I'm pretty sure are, though not the only one, a minority. IMO, it's Desmond's story that keeps the series going. That's what makes things interesting and makes us fans eagerly wait for the next game, simply to see what happens.

saintdave18
08-31-2011, 10:12 AM
I don't think Ubisoft will ever commit to just a Desmond game sadly, as this will probably alienate the fans who like the whole historic time period side of the story. This would obviously be bad for business for Ubisoft.

An idea I'd like would to make it 50/50 with Desmond gameplay being during the day assassinating important Templar targerts. And as he sleeps during the night, he is able to access his ancestors memories due to the bleeding effect. Either way, it is going to be interested what Ubisoft will do with the Desmond part of the story.

jmk1999
08-31-2011, 12:14 PM
i'm not entirely familiar with all the threads floating around here as of yet so unless another mod disagrees, i'll leave this open since there seems to be a huge focus on desmond in this thread rather than information about AC3 in general.

kriegerdesgottes
08-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Am I the only one that can care less about Desmond and would rather just romp around in ancient cities, etc while playing Desmond on a very minor role?

Nope, I could care less if Desmond got hit by a bus but unfortunately he is a pretty ingenious plot device to get to the interesting parts of the game. Not that Desmond isn't kind of interesting. He adds a little more interest to the game but I would never waste money on a game that was fully comprised of him.

Jexx21
08-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by medcsu11:
Am I the only one that can care less about Desmond and would rather just romp around in ancient cities, etc while playing Desmond on a very minor role? I'm pretty sure are, though not the only one, a minority. IMO, it's Desmond's story that keeps the series going. That's what makes things interesting and makes us fans eagerly wait for the next game, simply to see what happens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the minority is the people who actually want the Desmond gameplay, lol.

Altair661
08-31-2011, 01:56 PM
I could honestly care less for Desmond's gameplay, only his story. However I think it'll be a little bit like how Revelations is going at it. For the majority of the game, we'll be playing as Ezio, and he uses the keys to access memories of Altair, but instead of the keys, Desmond can just do it himself, and find a memory he needs of another ancestor. So replace Ezio with Des, in 2012 time. And instead of having a full parrell ancient assassins storyline, just a few memories here and there.

Jjfd99
08-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Altair661:
I could honestly care less for Desmond's gameplay, only his story. However I think it'll be a little bit like how Revelations is going at it. For the majority of the game, we'll be playing as Ezio, and he uses the keys to access memories of Altair, but instead of the keys, Desmond can just do it himself, and find a memory he needs of another ancestor. So replace Ezio with Des, in 2012 time. And instead of having a full parrell ancient assassins storyline, just a few memories here and there.

I agree with altair661. Thats exactly what i was thinking.

IamDesmond
08-31-2011, 02:10 PM
hmmm it is possible to see Desmond only gameplay due to the fact that this is Ezio and Altair's last game unless Ubi has another strange ending which would cause Desmond to explore another ancestor BUT anyone ever consider that we are reliving Desmond through one of his descendants. I mean the dude at the end of the gamescom trailer with the mustache looks nothing like Desmond in his personal trailer.

Assassin_M
08-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by IamDesmond:
hmmm it is possible to see Desmond only gameplay due to the fact that this is Ezio and Altair's last game unless Ubi has another strange ending which would cause Desmond to explore another ancestor BUT anyone ever consider that we are reliving Desmond through one of his descendants. I mean the dude at the end of the gamescom trailer with the mustache looks nothing like Desmond in his personal trailer.
No Nerdrage, no Nerdrage NO NERDRAGE !!!!!!!
FOR HEAVEN`S SAKE, IT IS DESMOND !!!!!!!! I swear its Desmond http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Altair661
08-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by IamDesmond:

Dude, thats Desmond. Well all have to realize that. He's been in the animus for who knows how long, and I dont think the two people on the outside care to shave his face. Also, depending on when he had his kid(he'd have to have one in your theory), if it was before 2012, they wouldn't be able to access it because you can only watch their memories until the fetus is exchanged, just like AC2 with Altair, however if he had a child later, it would completely go crazy because

1. it would reveal he'd have to live either past the satellite launch or had sex with some chick in the middle of trying to save the world

2. Have sex with someone eventually (either to continue the line or a love-interest)

3. It would have to be WAYYYY after 2012, meaning the Templars had already won because if they didn't... whats the point. and if he's trying to stop them and ANOTHER solar flare, that's already whats happening so it would be completely pointless. Sorry, but I also thought about that once, and I dont think it's gonna happen, it's very very unlikely.

Maybe for a future game that takes place in the future...but for now until this main story (AC3) is done, I dont think that will be happening.

rain89c
08-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by medcsu11:
Am I the only one that can care less about Desmond and would rather just romp around in ancient cities, etc while playing Desmond on a very minor role? I'm pretty sure are, though not the only one, a minority. IMO, it's Desmond's story that keeps the series going. That's what makes things interesting and makes us fans eagerly wait for the next game, simply to see what happens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the minority is the people who actually want the Desmond gameplay, lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed =D. I'd rather roam in Ancient Cities and play Desmond as a minor part of the game.
I wouldnt want AC series to end without having roamed in 12-19th century China or Japan.

LightRey
08-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Assassin_M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IamDesmond:
No Nerdrage, no Nerdrage NO NERDRAGE !!!!!!!
FOR HEAVEN`S SAKE, IT IS DESMOND !!!!!!!! I swear its Desmond http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm about 80% sure he's trolling.

kriegerdesgottes
08-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by rain89c:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:

Actually, the minority is the people who actually want the Desmond gameplay, lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed =D. I'd rather roam in Ancient Cities and play Desmond as a minor part of the game.
I wouldnt want AC series to end without having roamed in 12-16th century China or Japan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was with you until the China/Japan part and then I lost all hope. It will never happen! not as long as we are seeing Desmond's ancestors.

LightRey
08-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
I was with you until the China/Japan part and then I lost all hope. It will never happen! not as long as we are seeing Desmond's ancestors.
Well as was said in an interview it could happen, but only if Desmond is distantly related to people from China/Japan from those times, for which there are apparently no plans. At least, that's what the interviewee (I forget who it was) seemed to suggest.

I also don't really care. There are more than enough ninja-/samurai-like movies/games out there.

rain89c
08-31-2011, 03:10 PM
It definitely COULD happen. Altair's descendants traveled to Eastern Asia.

Who would've thought Desmond had Italian blood in him before AC2?

Rome, Florence, Venice all looked the same to me, all looked like recycled models used in both games. Many others and myself would want a new setting away from Europe.

kriegerdesgottes
08-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Ok granted it could happen I guess now that we know Altair and Ezio are not related but it still shouldn't happen imo. I am already tired of this argument but I will say for the last time YES I get it! they are assassin's and ninjas are similar yeah great, That doesn't mean they should ever ever ever do that. Assassin's Creed goes places that games normally don't go to. There are two types of threads I hate the most and I've seen both of them in this one alone.

1. All Desmond game
2. The ACIII should like totally be in Japan right!? cuz they are all like ninjas and stuff!

*shoots self in brain*

Assassin_M
08-31-2011, 03:20 PM
There are two types of threads I hate the most and I've seen both of them in this one alone.

1. All Desmond game
2. The ACIII should like totally be in Japan right!? cuz they are all like ninjas and stuff!

*shoots self in brain*
This http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

rain89c
08-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Ok granted it could happen I guess now that we know Altair and Ezio are not related but it still shouldn't happen imo. I am already tired of this argument but I will say for the last time YES I get it! they are assassin's and ninjas are similar yeah great, That doesn't mean they should ever ever ever do that. Assassin's Creed goes places that games normally don't go to. There are two types of threads I hate the most and I've seen both of them in this one alone.

1. All Desmond game

*shoots self in brain*
You're going to shoot yourself because of many people suggesting AC3 takes place in China or Japan? I or anyone else cant help you with that then...
If you get tired of people suggesting things that you don't like, nobody can help you with that attitude.

You haven't even said why you don't want it to take place in East Asia.

Altair661
08-31-2011, 03:38 PM
I dont think there will be one main Assassin that we will play as the entire time were no playing as Desmond. However, at one time we could play in Japan/China, with that new chick that was revealed in the encyclopedia trailer, she's also seen in the teasing picture for Emebers. She looks very, nija, asian, style. So I think they could very well expand on this character, and this could go along with the temple that was shown in Japan/China at the end of AC1. Not saying it's definet. But I could see us playing eventually at least one bit in like fedual Japan or something. But i wouldnt really want to.

Assassin_M
08-31-2011, 03:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:

1. All Desmond game

*shoots self in brain*
You're going to shoot yourself because of many people suggesting AC3 takes place in China or Japan? I or anyone else cant help you with that then...
If you get tired of people suggesting things that you don't like, nobody can help you with that attitude.

You haven't even said why you don't want it to take place in East Asia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
He did say, because its a setting overused in Games

kriegerdesgottes
08-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Yes it is incredibly overdone. I personally feel it would be much too..I don't think obvious is the right word, but maybe mundane(?). Also We do know that Darim headed towards England/France in his life and Ezio obviously lived in Florence towards the end of his life according to the Embers video. Also if you know anything about Japanese foreign policy of the time. It wasn't friendly. You wouldn't want to be a foreigner in or around Japan before 1900. You would most likely be killed on site. It's too unlikely. However I am half way open to the idea if it wasn't an ancestor of Desmond's after ACIII.

rain89c
08-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Yes it is incredibly overdone. I personally feel it would be much too..I don't think obvious is the right word, but maybe mundane(?). Also We do know that Darim headed towards England/France in his life and Ezio obviously lived in Florence towards the end of his life according to the Embers video. Also if you know anything about Japanese foreign policy of the time. It wasn't friendly. You wouldn't want to be a foreigner in or around Japan before 1900. You would most likely be killed on site. It's too unlikely. However I am half way open to the idea if it wasn't an ancestor of Desmond's after ACIII.

Saying Japan is overdone in games is just an excuse you dont want AC in East Asian setting...
(you saying East Asian Setting "isnt right" is a testament to that)
What game can you tell me that has realistic ancient Japanese setting that you're able to free roam in?

What about China? You made no mention of why you dont want AC to place in China. I would assume you just don't want AC to take place in East Asia.
If you read what I posted before, I've been saying that China is my first choice and Japan as my second, yet you've only responded with "Japan is overdone". <- which isn't even a logical reason.

It's overdone, but not overdone realistically with a free roaming environment.

kriegerdesgottes
08-31-2011, 04:02 PM
I gave you more reasons than it's overdone which it is. (Ninja Gaiden games, Yakuza games, Tenchu games). Not to mention that it is simply unlikely that a descendant of Altair or Desmond would have ever made it to live in those areas of the world. Because like I said, and maybe you should read it next time, Darim went to England/France and Altair spent his last year in Masyaf. We know he stayed and to fight the mongols in 1257 when he was 92 or so and Alex said he would die at "90 something". And Ezio lived his last days in Florence and like I said Japan was not foreigner friendly at all. And China wasn't a whole lot better although it would be more likely.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it's so incredibly overdone, mundane, and unlikely that it simply should never be done until after Desmond.

rain89c
08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
I gave you more reasons than it's overdone which it is. (Ninja Gaiden games, Yakuza games, Tenchu games). Not to mention that it is simply unlikely that a descendant of Altair or Desmond would have ever made it to live in those areas of the world. Because like I said, and maybe you should read it next time, Darim went to England/France and Altair spent his last year in Masyaf. We know he stayed and to fight the mongols in 1257 when he was 92 or so and Alex said he would die at "90 something". And Ezio lived his last days in Florence and like I said Japan was not foreigner friendly at all. And China wasn't a whole lot better although it would be more likely.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it's so incredibly overdone, mundane, and unlikely that it simply should never be done until after Desmond.
...Does Ninja Gaiden fit in the category of realistic and free roaming? No. And plus its not even an ancient setting!..
Is Tenchu free roaming? No.
Is Yakuza set in an ancient theme? No.
Why are you pointing out Darim went to England?
Why would we want to stay in European setting? It won't be much different from what we've been seeing for the past 2 games...which is zZz and now you want another one set in the same type of settings...?

So you're saying no Japan because its overdone (even though this argument doesn't work), and Japan wasn't foreign friendly (hey man, it's a fictional game, they could change some small things to make it work...)

There are so many possibilities to make it work in East Asia. Who knows? Altair might have had a half sister or brother, you never know what Ubi has up their sleeves.
So enough with the ridiculous East Asia setting doesn't work... bah!

kriegerdesgottes
08-31-2011, 04:51 PM
lol If you are looking for any game that follows the EXACT same criteria as AC, you won't find it. AC is a very unique awesome franchise in that it mixes free-roam, historic settings,platforming and conspiracy theories all in one game. I used those examples because they are all games that take place in Asian areas. Tell me, how many games have you played in Venice? free roam or not, how about Masyaf? or maybe even Jerusalem? what's that? ZERO!? that's because they only go places that are not USED what soever in games. I used the Darim example to point out that Altair did not make it out of the middle east and his only living son did not go towards Asia, he went to EUROPE. and the concept that "oh well it's a game and it's ok if they do stuff that is totally unrealistic" is not cool. It's comments like that that are hurting the franchise the most. One of the great things about AC is how realistic it is or as Alex Amancio said, AC stays in the realm of the plausible. Sure the whole Juno/Minerva/POE stuff is unlikely but that is a different element of the game. They don't typically pull away too far from historical accuracy. And Europe is not and was never boring. Europe is a beautiful place and every country has it's own architectural style. We've all seen Asia in games or as you say BAH to Asia. It should not ever happen until Desmond's story is over.

rain89c
08-31-2011, 05:20 PM
lol If you are looking for any game that follows the EXACT same criteria as AC, you won't find it. AC is a very unique awesome franchise in that it mixes free-roam, historic settings,platforming and conspiracy theories all in one game. I used those examples because they are all games that take place in Asian areas. Tell me, how many games have you played in Venice? free roam or not, how about Masyaf? or maybe even Jerusalem? what's that? ZERO!? that's because they only go places that are not USED what soever in games. I used the Darim example to point out that Altair did not make it out of the middle east and his only living son did not go towards Asia, he went to EUROPE. and the concept that "oh well it's a game and it's ok if they do stuff that is totally unrealistic" is not cool. It's comments like that that are hurting the franchise the most. One of the great things about AC is how realistic it is or as Alex Amancio said, AC stays in the realm of the plausible. Sure the whole Juno/Minerva/POE stuff is unlikely but that is a different element of the game. They don't typically pull away too far from historical accuracy. And Europe is not and was never boring. Europe is a beautiful place and every country has it's own architectural style. We've all seen Asia in games or as you say BAH to Asia. It should not ever happen until Desmond's story is over.
...Venice is in Italy, and Italy is in Europe. There are many games set in Europe.
How many games are set in Miyazaki? What's that? ZERO? (LOL) I can do the same thing youre doing. Your arguments are straight up poor... You continuously argue that it cant be in Asia because Altair's descendants don't make it to Asia, you say that as if you know ALL his descendants and ancestors.

So, up till now, you STILL haven't provided any REAL reasons for not going to Asia.

kriegerdesgottes
08-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Well I see you have run out of logical arguments so I'm just going to stop now and let you believe what you want to believe. Good day to you sir.

LightRey
08-31-2011, 05:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
...Venice is in Italy, and Italy is in Europe. There are many games set in Europe.
How many games are set in Miyazaki? What's that? ZERO? (LOL) I can do the same thing youre doing. Your arguments are straight up poor... You continuously argue that it cant be in Asia because Altair's descendants don't make it to Asia, you say that as if you know ALL his descendants and ancestors.

So, up till now, you STILL haven't provided any REAL reasons for not going to Asia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most games set in Europe are set in Germany and France during WWII. Also, Europe is not a country and culturally very diverse. Italy is completely different from say Greece or Belgium. To generalize an entire continent like that is somewhat absurd.

rain89c
08-31-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rain89c:

So, up till now, you STILL haven't provided any REAL reasons for not going to Asia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most games set in Europe are set in Germany and France during WWII. Also, Europe is not a country and culturally very diverse. Italy is completely different from say Greece or Belgium. To generalize an entire continent like that is somewhat absurd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I never said Europe was a Country.

I was using Venice->Italy->Europe Example because the guy was saying that many games took place in Asia, but no games took place in Venice/Jerusalem (which was a ridiculously absurd comparison) Because he used Asia which is a continent compared it to small provinces of a country/state.
There might not have been games that took place in Venice or Jerusalem, but there were games that took place in europe and in the Middle East.
Just as there were games that took place in Asia, but Asia is HUGE, its a continent not a small province like Venice/Jerusalem!!

You should be comparing like this:
Asia (continent) vs Europe (continent)
not like this:
Japan (country) vs Venice (city)

Jexx21
08-31-2011, 06:04 PM
You see modern-day games taking place in cities like Venice and Paris a lot actually...

And honestly, I would love a game that it's in Asia, if only for the new architectural style.

jmk1999
08-31-2011, 11:44 PM
weren't you guys talking about desmond's gameplay in AC3? not possibilities of being in asia. i believe i left this topic open for desmond talk. poor desmond is feeling unloved. please stay on topic or i'll have to force you all to discuss in an already created AC3 topic. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Calvarok
09-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I made this topic after searching to see if anything else focused only on what Desmond's role will be existed.

None came up.

I'd just like to point out that Ubisoft has said that Assassin's Creed 3 will introduce a new ancestor, and that genetic memory will always be an important part of Assassin's Creed.

So let's get back on topic: how do you guys think they'll divvy up the sections, and do you think they'll be be mechanically similar from each other, or that Desmond's present day assassins will have access to distinct and interesting weapons and tools, making for a differnt style of play?

eagleforlife1
09-01-2011, 12:44 AM

No, you're not the only one. He means nothing to me.

CRUDFACE
09-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

No, you're not the only one. He means nothing to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope Revelations will change that, cause I'm tired of trying to defend him. He needs to step up and be awesome...oh god, if he has family members like brothers or whatever, he's totally going to get shadowed

HIBEE12
09-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

well the fact you say he means nothing to me is kind of a stupid answer ... im not having a direct go but if desmond meant nothing then i'm sure we wouldn't get to play as the ancestors... eitherway i love playing as the ancestors but i'm just as interested in desmonds story.
He just needs to be more bad a**

Panfaun
09-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by HIBEE12:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

well the fact you say he means nothing to me is kind of a stupid answer ... im not having a direct go but if desmond meant nothing then i'm sure we wouldn't get to play as the ancestors... eitherway i love playing as the ancestors but i'm just as interested in desmonds story.
He just needs to be more bad a** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Desmond needs a real bracer to do that to, not just a hidden blade.

HIBEE12
09-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Panfaun:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HIBEE12:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

Desmond needs a real bracer to do that to, not just a hidden blade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif i think he'd be better of with more weapons , i'd like to see a scene (or play it) in AC3 were desmond and co. are confronted by vidic and are surrounded by abstergo employees as far as the eye can see, that would kick him up the bad chart a notch

kriegerdesgottes
09-01-2011, 01:42 AM
That is where guns pose a problem. Desmond would prob have to spend more time being stealthy and less aggressive, unfortunately for aggressive players like myself, to be realistic at all. Even if Desmond was a super badass assassin and could take on a ton of guards in combat he still can't survive a bunch of machine gun shots.

Calvarok
09-01-2011, 01:49 AM
That is where guns pose a problem. Desmond would prob have to spend more time being stealthy and less aggressive, unfortunately for aggressive players like myself, to be realistic at all. Even if Desmond was a super badass assassin and could take on a ton of guards in combat he still can't survive a bunch of machine gun shots.

Depends on the technology the modern Assassins have. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

HIBEE12
09-01-2011, 01:50 AM

i see, so maybe he'd have to use alot more stealth to get around them then assassinate them, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Panfaun
09-01-2011, 02:32 AM

This reminds me, so I'm playing Brotherhood, leaping around being the falcon white plague of death that I am. It is when I make my next jump that I get shot out of the air and land like twenty feet down. And no hay to block my fall, lol. What I'm saying is, bullets, arrows, everything really doesn't hurt you for real when you play. Except head shots given execution style with a ***** shaped gun...RIP Mario.

kriegerdesgottes
09-01-2011, 02:55 AM

i see, so maybe he'd have to use alot more stealth to get around them then assassinate them, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that is what I meant, I can't imagine any other way but as Calvarok pointed out he could have his own cool weapons but I wouldn't want him to have ridiculous weapons that don't exist like in Halo or something. He would prob have his own assault rifle or sniper rifle or something but still 20 guys with assault rifles vs one guy with an assault rifle is still a bad situation for him which is why I think he would almost have to rely on stealth in most situations. I'm actually pretty confident though that Ubisoft could find some way to pull it off if they wanted to.

POP1Fan
09-01-2011, 04:15 AM
I think that the best way to get both Desmond and ancestor gameplay in a way that doesen't put Desmond into the shadow is by making 9 ancestor seqences and instead of jumping from one to the other we also have some half-hour Desmond gameplay between them.That way we have 9 ancestor sequences and 9 Desmond parts.Of course the Desmond parts will be linear and for that to happen they have to get rid of the "out of the Animus any time you want" (i wouldn't mind because i never used that feature anyway).
Also i think that a way to make the gameplay not unfair because of weapons the ancestor will be pure Assassin's Creed feel but the Desmond part will be a hybrid between AC and Splinter Cell(with the AC features more proeminent of couse)

*sorry for bad English.

LightRey
09-01-2011, 06:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rain89c:

Most games set in Europe are set in Germany and France during WWII. Also, Europe is not a country and culturally very diverse. Italy is completely different from say Greece or Belgium. To generalize an entire continent like that is somewhat absurd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I never said Europe was a Country.

I was using Venice->Italy->Europe Example because the guy was saying that many games took place in Asia, but no games took place in Venice/Jerusalem (which was a ridiculously absurd comparison) Because he used Asia which is a continent compared it to small provinces of a country/state.
There might not have been games that took place in Venice or Jerusalem, but there were games that took place in europe and in the Middle East.
Just as there were games that took place in Asia, but Asia is HUGE, its a continent not a small province like Venice/Jerusalem!!

You should be comparing like this:
Asia (continent) vs Europe (continent)
not like this:
Japan (country) vs Venice (city) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never said you said Europe was a country.
You're right Asia is huge, but it doesn't really change his point. AC is a series that actually pays attention to the locations. When you're in Venice, you can actually see that it looks like the real Venice. The same goes for Florence, Rome, etc.

His point has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the places he's referring to.

medcsu11
09-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Well glad to see others share my opinion of Desmond. I dont dislike him by any means, I just can care less about him and his story.

Side note, while it COULD have happened that an ancestor traveled to Japan, I doubt it will happen. I foresee either France or Russia as our next stop in AC3.

eagleforlife1
09-01-2011, 11:10 AM

We can visit historic places in video games without an animus. I'm not quite sure what you mean. Just cut Desmond's parts out and give us historic locations.

Animuses
09-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm not even interested in another ancestor, I'm interested in Desmond. I just don't want it being about ancient artifacts too much.

Jacobmiles2010
09-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Personally I want a pure Desmond game for AC3, but I doubt that the rest of the fandom thinks the same so I suggest a compromise. The main part of the game would take place in the Modern Day, as Desmond however in intervals you'd step into the role of another ancestor or relative od Desmond; one could be set in Japan whilst another could be from a US (I say US because you weren't the only people to have a Civil War you know) Civil War. There wouldn't be much emphasis on these characters like there was Altair or Ezio but each time it happens Desmond could learn a new skill, say for example if Desmond needed to hack something he could slip into his grandfather's memories who (for the purpose of this exposition we'll assume) worked with Alan Turing, therefore giving him the technical knolwedge of how to hack. I think this would tie quite well into the whole sixth sense thing that Minerva and Junoo and the rest of Those Who Came Before keep talking about.

As to the top of having guns in gameplay, couldn't someone hand Desmond a Kevlar vest? I mean, off course there would be snipers and gunmen who shoot Desmond in the head in this modern day game but I think that would only make the game more difficult, which would surely appease those of you who think the combat system has become simple. The weapon system would be a little more compact (grenades would take the place of bombs and I can imagine that batons would take the place of swords and other weapons, pistols would take the place of crossbows. There's no need to replace the hidden blade, or the knives or small daggers but otherwise it wouldn't bee too big of an adjustment.

That's just my opinion off course,

medcsu11
09-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Desmond lives in a time with machine guns, mines, grenades, etc. The game would probably be pretty stupid.

I much prefer seeing forgotten cities come to life.

Animuses
09-02-2011, 11:41 PM
I much prefer not seeing an ancestor that won't be nearly as useful as Altair and Ezio. If they do have an ancestor in AC3 (they obviously will), I hope Desmond gets most of the gameplay time. These games are HIS story.

Calvarok
09-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Desmond lives in a time with machine guns, mines, grenades, etc. The game would probably be pretty stupid.

And yet Deus Ex was an enjoyable stealth game, despite taking place in an extremely advanced future.

Any time period has its wonders, and any time period can be made into interesting stealth and combat gameplay that fits with Assassin's Creed. We're not here to debate that. We're here to come up with ideas for that.

And I still don't think that Desmond should get the majority time. He should be a big part of the story, but the animus ancestor should have a big part to play, and be most of it. After all, Desmond can experience so much of the ancestor's life while so little time actually passes in the real world. Expecially if his mind has been opened by what happens at the nexus. It's possible that his "animus" could act as a pause screen.

Animuses
09-03-2011, 12:00 AM
If Desmond won't get loads of gameplay time in AC3, then the awesome ending of AC2 goes to waste.

kriegerdesgottes
09-03-2011, 12:36 AM
What really pulled me into the franchise in the first place was the badass historic assassin that could interact with historic cities that were recreated the way they were hundreds of years ago. The latter part of that is what really sealed the deal with me. I also loved the concept that a person could explore the memories of their ancestors through their dna and see/experience things that are long past and gone. There is a certain mystery with history and ancestry that will always exist and these games bring that to life beautifully. If it was an all desmond game (heaven forbid because it would be awful), all that mystery and wonder would be gone. What you would have left essentially would be splinter cell with some bartender.......great.......I don't understand how anyone could want that and I know you guys have your own opinions and that's cool but AC is not just a Desmond story. I know you like to argue that it is "Desmond's story" but the reality of the matter is that Desmond is nothing more than a very very clever plot device that sets up Patrice's real vision for the franchise. He adds interest but he is not THE interest. But again everyone has their own opinion. Also I happen to be obsessed with Batman and History so this franchise is perfect for me and probably has a lot to do with my feelings towards the matter.

LightRey
09-03-2011, 04:55 AM
What really pulled me into the franchise in the first place was the badass historic assassin that could interact with historic cities that were recreated the way they were hundreds of years ago. The latter part of that is what really sealed the deal with me. I also loved the concept that a person could explore the memories of their ancestors through their dna and see/experience things that are long past and gone. There is a certain mystery with history and ancestry that will always exist and these games bring that to life beautifully. If it was an all desmond game (heaven forbid because it would be awful), all that mystery and wonder would be gone. What you would have left essentially would be splinter cell with some bartender.......great.......I don't understand how anyone could want that and I know you guys have your own opinions and that's cool but AC is not just a Desmond story. I know you like to argue that it is "Desmond's story" but the reality of the matter is that Desmond is nothing more than a very very clever plot device that sets up Patrice's real vision for the franchise. He adds interest but he is not THE interest. But again everyone has their own opinion. Also I happen to be obsessed with Batman and History so this franchise is perfect for me and probably has a lot to do with my feelings towards the matter.
I have to agree with this. It's not that I'm not interested in Desmond's story, but an all-Desmond story would not be fun. Not only do I have trouble imagining the same kind of gameplay as in previous games in such a modern-time setting, but it takes away from the experience from actually being in those ancient places, rather than their ruins or what they've turned into over the years (like modern cities).

I'm all for more Desmond gameplay. I'd even be fine with it taking up half the game as long as it's good. However, an all-Desmond game would just not work.

Steww-
09-03-2011, 05:03 AM
I agree with the previous 2 posts.

I also have a feeling Desmond might end up fighting all the Templars being trained in the Multi-Player. Did Ubisoft already say this?

LightRey
09-03-2011, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Steww-:
I agree with the previous 2 posts.

I also have a feeling Desmond might end up fighting all the Templars being trained in the Multi-Player. Did Ubisoft already say this?
I don't think they did, but I do think it's what most of us are thinking.

Ulicies
09-03-2011, 03:06 PM
When I saw the very first E3 presentation for AC1, where there wasn't a single hint of modern times, I was enraptured. I was sold right then that I would buy the game. The twist that you were reliving memories made an intriguing concept even more interesting, but that's what the franchise will always be about: reliving beautiful, historical cities, and immersing yourself with the rich culture. That's the magic touch of the AC franchise. Embodying an assassin, or an expert killer to be more general, is an extremely popular concept in the video game industry, but no other franchise has coupled this familiar formula with exploring complex, historical civilizations in the same way.

That paragraph basically states why I would never want an exclusively Desmond game. The modern twist adds a necessary layer to the franchise, but to completely veer away from showcasing a new historical setting in each numbered title would be to completely disown the series' original vision.

kriegerdesgottes
09-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Well said ^

medcsu11
09-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:

And yet Deus Ex was an enjoyable stealth game, despite taking place in an extremely advanced future.

Any time period has its wonders, and any time period can be made into interesting stealth and combat gameplay that fits with Assassin's Creed. We're not here to debate that. We're here to come up with ideas for that.

And I still don't think that Desmond should get the majority time. He should be a big part of the story, but the animus ancestor should have a big part to play, and be most of it. After all, Desmond can experience so much of the ancestor's life while so little time actually passes in the real world. Expecially if his mind has been opened by what happens at the nexus. It's possible that his "animus" could act as a pause screen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Deus Ex is a great game, however, the premise is utterly different. AC is and will always be great based on the exploration of historic settings in which the player can see sites, learn about the city, and learn some basic things about people of the time.

Why would Desmond ever need a blade in this day and age when he could have a silenced gun? It would be silly for him to strut around in Assassin gear in the 21st century when there are gas grenades, etc. That being said, that is not why I personally love AC. I love it for the complexity based on what I mentioned before, AND not needing to resort to modern age weaponry as many other games have.

AC is unique in that way as it allows both ancient/older weaponry, and cities in a time I didnt live in.

Ulicies
09-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I do think that the Brotherhood crossbow behind-the-shoulder mechanic could alude, or even translate, to a pretty decent third-person shooter for Desmond's side of the game. Deus Ex definitely showcases the possibility of stealth amidst guns and technology, so I think it's more than possible to have combat while controlling Desmond.

It was pretty cool to play Brotherhood's storyline, and then travel to the modern equivalent of what you were exploring for so long. That kind of comparison was a nice touch, and I could see that formula being implemented a bit more in AC3.

medcsu11
09-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Ulicies:
I do think that the Brotherhood crossbow behind-the-shoulder mechanic could alude, or even translate, to a pretty decent third-person shooter for Desmond's side of the game. Deus Ex definitely showcases the possibility of stealth amidst guns and technology, so I think it's more than possible to have combat while controlling Desmond.

It was pretty cool to play Brotherhood's storyline, and then travel to the modern equivalent of what you were exploring for so long. That kind of comparison was a nice touch, and I could see that formula being implemented a bit more in AC3.

I would NOT be happy if AC was turned into any type of "shooter".

LightRey
09-04-2011, 04:56 AM
Well said ^
Indeed.

masterfenix2009
09-04-2011, 06:00 AM
What really pulled me into the franchise in the first place was the badass historic assassin that could interact with historic cities that were recreated the way they were hundreds of years ago. The latter part of that is what really sealed the deal with me. I also loved the concept that a person could explore the memories of their ancestors through their dna and see/experience things that are long past and gone. There is a certain mystery with history and ancestry that will always exist and these games bring that to life beautifully. If it was an all desmond game (heaven forbid because it would be awful), all that mystery and wonder would be gone. What you would have left essentially would be splinter cell with some bartender.......great.......I don't understand how anyone could want that and I know you guys have your own opinions and that's cool but AC is not just a Desmond story. I know you like to argue that it is "Desmond's story" but the reality of the matter is that Desmond is nothing more than a very very clever plot device that sets up Patrice's real vision for the franchise. He adds interest but he is not THE interest. But again everyone has their own opinion. Also I happen to be obsessed with Batman and History so this franchise is perfect for me and probably has a lot to do with my feelings towards the matter. I also don't want a all Desmond game. Only that he should have a much bigger part. It is Desmond's story because at the beginning of AC2,and I think Brotherhood, It clearly says that" I am Desmond Miles and this is MY story."

Ulicies
09-04-2011, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ulicies:

I would NOT be happy if AC was turned into any type of "shooter". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The entire game wouldn't turn into a shooter, but if Desmond's side was given a lot more gameplay, via combat, he would inevitably be given a more modern version of Ezio's crossbow. My point was simply that the one aspect could work in Desmond's time, based on what we've seen in Brotherhood.

Animuses
09-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Whoa! This was supposed to be about Desmond's gameplay in AC3, not an Anti-Desmond thread.

Jexx21
09-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Hmm...

Assassin's Creed 3 could have branch games like Brotherhood and Revelations.

Cover the Desmond story across multiple games?

Calvarok
09-04-2011, 09:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

And I still don't think that Desmond should get the majority time. He should be a big part of the story, but the animus ancestor should have a big part to play, and be most of it. After all, Desmond can experience so much of the ancestor's life while so little time actually passes in the real world. Expecially if his mind has been opened by what happens at the nexus. It's possible that his "animus" could act as a pause screen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Deus Ex is a great game, however, the premise is utterly different. AC is and will always be great based on the exploration of historic settings in which the player can see sites, learn about the city, and learn some basic things about people of the time.

Why would Desmond ever need a blade in this day and age when he could have a silenced gun? It would be silly for him to strut around in Assassin gear in the 21st century when there are gas grenades, etc. That being said, that is not why I personally love AC. I love it for the complexity based on what I mentioned before, AND not needing to resort to modern age weaponry as many other games have.

AC is unique in that way as it allows both ancient/older weaponry, and cities in a time I didnt live in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
He needs a blade because close quarters stealth is easier with a silent and deadly weapon, instead of bare fists.

Ezio has ranged weapons. He even already has a gun. I think a lightweight and small silenced sniper rifle (collapsable so Desmond can stow it in his backpack) would fit very well into AC. If there are enough enemies and they're alert enough, picking off a few of them in front of their buddies just means that they'll head to where they heard the shots. As I said, Deus Ex is difficult, even though you can have ranged weapons.

(I would NOT be happy if AC was turned into any type of "shooter".)

OH MY GOODNESS. HAVING RANGED WEAPONS DOES NOT MAKE IT A SHOOTER. Ulicies was talking about how in Brotherhood you could move while locked onto your target with a crossbow. How is a crossbow any different from a gun in function? Technology is not entirely different nowadays. Bombs have been around for more than a thousand years, they've just gotten more deadly and controllable. Ranged weapons have existed for even longer, they just can hold more ammo and aren't manually thrown.

People are just like "Oh no, giving enemies and the player guns makes it a shooter, boo hoo". I've got news for you. Knives fulfil the exact same function as a crossbow, which fulfills the exact same function as a gun. But I don't see you complaining about being able to kill enemies at range in AC1. A gun does not a twitch-based shooter make.

I find that whole idea ridiculous. Is Assassin's Creed right now a mindless stabbing game because you stab people for the majority of gameplay? Then why would it be a mindless shooter for including firing ranged weapons in a MINORITY of gameplay?

As long as the way in which the weapon is used is stealthy, and gives the player choice, then who gives a crap what it is.

And I don't think people understand what I'm getting at. I understand that no-one wants a full Desmond game. I'm just saying, he should have a more parallel story, with his own action and missions and significant gameplay.

also we're not debating wether or not Desmond will be the only character in AC3 because Ubisoft has told us time and time again that there will be a new ancestor. I don't get why you guys are bringing this up over and over. It's a done deal. This thread is for discussion about how exactly it will be done.

Saqaliba
09-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Well said. I totally agree with you.

I think even upgrading the armour of the guards in 2012 so that you would have to engage in more strategic forms of taking them out would turn a gun into an unreliable weapon. I think they are introducing the option to choose how you want to play - i.e between blood-frenzy or stealth in ACR because they may just be introducing guns, not to turn AC into a shooter, but simply to replace the cross-bow with a more modern counterpart, maybe they will have a tranquilizer gun to replace the poison darts - soldiers still use throwing knives for stealth purposes. It would be historically accurate to use guns in the French/American Revolution period. It would be historically enviable to exclude them. It still took a long time to load them, so keeping the hidden-gun would still be an option.

Ulicies
09-05-2011, 12:33 AM
I completely agree with Calvarok and Saqaliba.

Brotherhood's crossbow mechanics are already reminiscent to any old third-person shooter, while never fully committing to the genre. Desmond's side could easily implement this with modern weaponry, while keeping the focus on assassinations and stealth.

eagleforlife1
09-05-2011, 12:59 AM
I agree with the above three posters.

Inorganic9_2
09-05-2011, 01:47 AM

1. All Desmond game

*shoots self in brain*

This.......