PDA

View Full Version : The "disappointing" reviews

sjones792
12-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Did the massive hype created before Assassins creed was to be released affect the rather mediocre reviews? I think it's brilliant but had rather low-expectations before playing.
My score: 9/10

IGN:7/10
Games TM: 4/10
OXM:8/10
X360: 7/10
And more in the same vein...

Xthe_assassinX
12-29-2007, 08:06 AM
I don't know why people don't like it.
Maybe it's because the version for PS3 F'ed up so much.
Honestly, I'm a 360'er, and the game is definitley a 12/10. Ever had a free-roam game with these kind of graphics? Ever been able to interact with every wall? No. The critics are stupid, especially the ones who gave it a 4/10.
With my 360 version I haven't had a single problem with it. Hasn't froze once. It's just the ps3 one I guess.

Paladin_1962
12-29-2007, 08:26 AM
The critics are stupid? Yet, you give the game 12/10!? ;-)

The game is ok, but no where deserving 9/10, unless you have rather low expectations.

Xthe_assassinX
12-29-2007, 08:55 AM
I don't think my expectations were low at all.
The whole reason I bought a 360 in the first place was to play this game. It's the only game I have for it besides the two it came with. I'm thinking about getting another game but I
m not sure what to get.. Anywho! I think my expectations were kind of high, and to me this game was really good. I don't know what isn't good about it. For me my game hasn't froze, it hasn't done anything bad. There isn't anything about the game that I don't like. The replay value is kind of low, but that doesn't bother me too much. I've still been playing it when I have beaten it already, just getting flags and starting again from scratch. I really like this game and I'm looking forward to the second one, most likely taking place in Japan or China. wee

the_assassin_07
12-29-2007, 09:42 AM
With my 360 version I haven't had a single problem with it. Hasn't froze once. It's just the ps3 one I guess.
No it hasn't happened to me and I play on the PS3... Don't get happy just 'cause you think the 360 doesn't freeze and is therefore superior...

Xthe_assassinX
12-29-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm not trying to say anything bad about the ps3, I would get one but the whole 40g not playing ps2 games pissed me off. I've heard a lot of bad things about the ps3 version of assassins creed, so that's why I said that.

the_assassin_07
12-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Oh... I just thought... well you know, it seemed like that lol. Yeah it is mostly PS3 but it hasn't happened to me...

Pr0metheus 1962
12-29-2007, 11:41 AM
I think it's a great game. Maybe the hype can be blamed for the negative backlash - I dunno, 'cos I never really saw any hype for it (I think I caught maybe two ads before I bought it).

In my view anyone who thinks this game deserves less than 7/10 is reviewing it with some kind of unfair negative bias. There is no way an unbiased and thoughtful reviewer could play this game and then say it wasn't one of the five best games made in the last 12 months.

Xthe_assassinX
12-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I don't really remember a 'hype' for it too much. I saw a commercial or seven, and only wanted it because the graphics looked so amazing. Then I went on trusty ol' Youtube and saw some lady playing it and it looked sweet. The whole thing about killing someone and running from crowds was really cool. Although she ended up being killed by a group of guards..-.-

Kid_Phazon
12-29-2007, 01:40 PM
So you don't believe the controls got boring after awhile?

^^^I don't agree with this statement. I almost never use all the combos in Tekken. =)

Xthe_assassinX
12-29-2007, 01:45 PM
What statement are you talking about? When did combos come into play?

Paladin_1962
12-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Xthe_assassinX:
The whole reason I bought a 360 in the first place was to play this game. It's the only game I have for it besides the two it came with. I'm thinking about getting another game but I
m not sure what to get.. Anywho! I think my expectations were kind of high, and to me this game was really good. I don't know what isn't good about it. For me my game hasn't froze, it hasn't done anything bad. There isn't anything about the game that I don't like. The replay value is kind of low, but that doesn't bother me too much. I've still been playing it when I have beaten it already, just getting flags and starting again from scratch. I really like this game and I'm looking forward to the second one, most likely taking place in Japan or China. wee

You're looking for a new game? If you want your socks blown off with fun and role playing, and complete freedom to roam about...and,equally as important - to be able to save anytime and restart the game at that exact spot (sadly absent from Assassin's Creed, which is my biggest gripe with this game, and ruins it's replay value)...then I'd recommend The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is, in my estimation the best game ever made.

Kid_Phazon
12-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Xthe_assassinX:
What statement are you talking about? When did combos come into play? My post was a little bland. I meant to say like the combat. One of the reviewers stated that the combat got repetitive and boring. I didn't think it did. But the tekken comment was random. sorry.

Paladin_1962
12-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Beeryus:
... There is no way an unbiased and thoughtful reviewer could play this game and then say it wasn't one of the five best games made in the last 12 months.

It's all to easy to claim Assassin's Creed is one of the best games made in the last 12 months, because most games released are garbage. Yes, it is one of the best, as is 'Mass Effect', for example.

That doesn't mean it's not without it's faults, and it does have faults.

AirRon_2K7
12-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Oh my gosh. What did we as a forum do to deserve the billionth thread on the exact same thing?

Xthe_assassinX
12-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Paladin_1962:

You're looking for a new game? If you want your socks blown off with fun and role playing, and complete freedom to roam about...and,equally as important - to be able to save anytime and restart the game at that exact spot (sadly absent from Assassin's Creed, which is my biggest gripe with this game, and ruins it's replay value)...then I'd recommend The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is, in my estimation the best game ever made.

I've never heard of that.. Probably lame of me. I will do some research though, thanks.

quick-kill1981
12-29-2007, 06:47 PM
I Thout the game was alrite.It needed more combo kills and differnt roles.
Thin the same thing over and over.iam a big fan of godofwar and princeofpersia.Give me a game with more thin just kill and hide.I rank this one a 6/10.I dont expect to play this one again.

o ASYLUM o
12-29-2007, 07:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beeryus:
... There is no way an unbiased and thoughtful reviewer could play this game and then say it wasn't one of the five best games made in the last 12 months.

It's all to easy to claim Assassin's Creed is one of the best games made in the last 12 months, because most games released are garbage. Yes, it is one of the best, as is 'Mass Effect', for example.

That doesn't mean it's not without it's faults, and it does have faults. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no game is perfect buddy, get over it.

just because you have a problem with it doesn't mean it's not a great game. The Sales speak for itself, I had to go to 4 differnet stores last week to find this game.

though it was kind of funny that all those stores had plenty of the PS3 versions.

sjones792
12-30-2007, 10:46 AM
That doesn't mean it's not without it's faults, and it does have faults.[/QUOTE]

Yes, assassins creed has faults, but not enough to condemn the fact it's a brilliant achievement. And better than Mass effect...Dull, turn-based c@#p!

jcody
12-30-2007, 08:40 PM
The poor reviews are due to the fact that the reviewers could not "take it for what it is" so to speak. They compared the game to what they expected it to be, which is a very bad thing to do when reviewing something.

AssistantSensei
12-31-2007, 05:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xthe_assassinX:

You're looking for a new game? If you want your socks blown off with fun and role playing, and complete freedom to roam about...and,equally as important - to be able to save anytime and restart the game at that exact spot (sadly absent from Assassin's Creed, which is my biggest gripe with this game, and ruins it's replay value)...then I'd recommend The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is, in my estimation the best game ever made. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably one of the only things that I was disappointed with Assassin's Creed was the fact that I couldn't get to talk to each and every single person. But my sister and I were saying that it was probably because of Oblivion. LOL
But I realized that it would have been real hard on the programmers and voice actors 'cause there's so many freaking people in the game.

Assassin's Creed is still a great game though. Maybe I'm just easy to please. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

fulukai
12-31-2007, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by sjones792:
That doesn't mean it's not without it's faults, and it does have faults.

Yes, assassins creed has faults, but not enough to condemn the fact it's a brilliant achievement. And better than Mass effect...Dull, turn-based c@#p!

So you obviously havent played ME. It's not turn based. And it's certainly not dull. It's got plenty more variety and challenge than AC. I thought AC was a very good game but the reviews are justified. In a nutshell, they point at mainly two flaws with the game -- extremely repetitive gameplay, and fairly easy combat (esp. with the forgiving damage system and the counterattack) and you cannot deny either. Where it wins according to me is the setting (third crusades period is just brilliant), atmosphere (due to the excellent graphics/sound), free-running and the variety of kills (w/ the cool anims), which would explain why it's selling so well. Too bad the lack of adequate difficulty and variety means it doesn't deserve higher critical acclaim. (Now if only they released a patch to fix the difficulty and added some new types of side quests via DLC!)

McMasterJ
12-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Yesterday I brought my PS3 over to my buddys to play while we hung out. He has a 360. We both have assassins Creed. While he was playing his, I noticed a frame fate droppage every minute of to. Mean while I have PS3 with all the latest updates and I have not had one single problem yet. The frame rate hasnt dropped once. So you cant say the 360 one is flawless. I found it annoing to see.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by fulukai:
So you obviously havent played ME. It's not turn based. And it's certainly not dull. It's got plenty more variety and challenge than AC...

I've played Mass Effect and I was disappointed to say the least. Graphically it's second rate at best. In terms of the game experience it's virtually the same as Knights of the Old Republic, and while that game was awesome in its day it's hardly groundbreaking now. AC is a much better game than ME.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-31-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by McMasterJ:
He has a 360. We both have assassins Creed. While he was playing his, I noticed a frame fate droppage every minute of to...So you cant say the 360 one is flawless. I found it annoing to see.

I have a 360 and I haven't noticed any drop in framerate. It's always been as smooth as silk. Somehow I think your friend might have some other problem with his 360.

wpu.clark
01-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Beeryus:

I have a 360 and I haven't noticed any drop in framerate. It's always been as smooth as silk. Somehow I think your friend might have some other problem with his 360.

Well I have a 360 as well, but I have noticed points in the game where it freezes up for a sec. I even had it freeze up completely. I will have to try it on another 360 to see if I notice the same thing. However, isn't the PS3 supposed to be much more powerful than the 360? The PS3 did have an extra year to bloom.

But all bugs aside, the game is amazing. I will admit that the game play can be repetitive at quite a few points, but the riveting story line definitely pulled me through. Hopefully, the next installment will take the issues in this one and try to reduce/eliminate them.