PDA

View Full Version : DCG Tutorial

Scharnhorst1943
04-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Hello all. I am thinking about attempting a DCG tutorial. Actually, it is already half done. However, real life is getting in the way and I have no time to finish it right now. I am in college, and as it is finals time ... I think everyone gets the picture. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Anyway, My tutorial was going to cover these topics:

-Setting up DCG for the first time
-Explaining the DCG interface
-Using the DCG interface to edit existing
campaigns
-Explaining ALL DCG files
-Making changes to DCG campaigns by editing
files (some changes cant be made in the
DCG interface)
-Creating your own DCG campaign from scratch

I already have it halfway done. But my basic question is this. If I finish it, would it be of any worth? With IL-2 almost dead, and SOW around the corner, is there any interest? If I put out my tutorial would more people be willing to try DCG?

I would appreciate your opinions please. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

ddpairborne59
04-23-2007, 10:37 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif would love a DCG Tutorial to read, especially a Creating your own DCG campaign from scratch tutorial. ~S~ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Treetop64
04-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Isn't there one already available from Paul's site, in the "Documents" section?

XyZspineZyX
04-23-2007, 10:58 PM
There is no way IL2 will die when SOW comes out. Battle of Britain covers only one small area of WWII. IL2 covers alot & DCG is an excellent generator for off/online co-op users. I think Treetop64 is right in saying info is already at Lowengrins site.

However it sounds like you have done alot of work already so release it. It always helps to more info on DCG, because theres more than one way to skin a cat.

p-11.cAce
04-23-2007, 10:59 PM
As a new DCG user any and all info will be of great help! I think IL2 is far from dead - even after SOW is released 46 will be in use for a long time by anyone interested in flying mid and late war aircraft that will not be in the new sim for some time.

Scharnhorst1943
04-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Yes there is some info in the documentation section ... (and no disrespect) but it is FAR from being anything NEAR a tutorial. This tutorial is the aftermath of a quest to understand and master the most complicated workings of DCG. Also, the document in question is like v3.0, while we are at v3.99 or something. So it is out of date too.

lowfighter
04-23-2007, 11:28 PM
I'd like to learn about DCG, a systematic and in-depth tutorial would be great.

antifreeze
04-24-2007, 06:50 AM
I would guess that most people who use DCG, UQMG, QMT, etc downloaded them months or years ago and know how they work by now, so you're probably not going to get over a thousand downloads of your tutorial. Over the next year or so, I imagine you might get a couple of hundred downloads, though?

You could look at the DCG forums and see how many questions are being asked. It might give you an idea of how many people are struggling to use it and how many new users there are.

I'd certainly take a look at your tutorial. I downloaded DCG ages ago and tried it out, but my first campaigns ended after about three missions. Also, I couldn't get the hang of changing the player's squad planeset. So I stopped using it after a few goes.

Scharnhorst1943
04-24-2007, 08:18 AM
That is just the point, Antifreeze. If you would of had an easy to read document, that explained how to do those things, (Which are very simple, BTW) You would still be playing it and you would not be missing out on this wonderful program.

So my question now is, if I were to finish and post this tutorial, would all those who tried DCG and removed it for whatever reason(No good documentation, hard to set up, hard to make changes you want ...) ... would they give it another try? Because this tutorial is actually aimed at that audience, but will more than cover what a new player needs as well. This will cover MOST if not ALL aspects of what this program can do and how to do it in a step by step, easily explained manor WITH EXAMPLES to follow.

So if I may be so bold ... would you give it another try with a tutorial?

?????????????

ojcar1971
04-24-2007, 09:52 AM
I think it's a very nice idea. Il-2 is NOT dead. I'm playing Red Baron 3D now!!! There are many planes that I haven't tried in Il-2

WWSpinDry
04-24-2007, 10:22 AM
I would certainly find a DCG tutorial of great interest and very useful!

XyZspineZyX
04-24-2007, 10:25 AM
I've only started using DCG myself for our squadron, so yeah, a tutorial on making it more customized would be more than welcome Scharnhorst.

Widowmaker214
04-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I've done over 40 custom campaigns using tailspins (I think thats who it was) guide on DCG. Which is a bit now outdated. We are beta testing versions of 3.34 at present.
And I STILL refer to his guide.. but there are a lot of things missing or could be added that are quite helpful.
For instance.. did you know that in order for a train to spawn at a rail station, you have to use _Railyard in the station name in the RLS file.(other than the 1st station where the rail line starts.. which is automatic)

Same with ground units. You can get ground units to spawn at a certain location by naming it _Camp or _Depot

Id recommend getting with Paul to get more "little" pieces of information like that.

Those kind of things would be super helpful.

Scharnhorst1943
04-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Widowmaker214:
I've done over 40 custom campaigns using tailspins (I think thats who it was) guide on DCG. Which is a bit now outdated. We are beta testing versions of 3.34 at present.
And I STILL refer to his guide.. but there are a lot of things missing or could be added that are quite helpful.
For instance.. did you know that in order for a train to spawn at a rail station, you have to use _Railyard in the station name in the RLS file.(other than the 1st station where the rail line starts.. which is automatic)

Same with ground units. You can get ground units to spawn at a certain location by naming it _Camp or _Depot

Id recommend getting with Paul to get more "little" pieces of information like that.

Those kind of things would be super helpful.

Yeah, I know. DCG is really quite amazing. Also, in order to get invasions, you must have a _Beach and _Beachhead location. There are several other nifty things you can do with paratroopers and carriers too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif.

Also, you can end a campaign in more than one way as well. You could have it set up so that if any one of the following happened, the campaign would end:

-specific Static object destroyed (such as
Tirpitz in Norway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)
-percentage of static objects destroyed (such
as %vehicles destroyed under buildings due
to level bombing)
-A certian active unit destroyed (like a ship
or % of ships)
-By date
-By capturing a location (which does not even
have to be the main supply location)

I am working on some campaign too, the use all of these things and more. I want to squeeze every thing I can to get the best immersion possible. For example. I have populated a map with static trucks underneath factory buildings. When a percentage (say 60%) of the trucks are destroyed, then the Americans win the map and it progresses on. However, if the Germans can shoot down a percentage of the bombers (say 50%), then the Germans will win the map ...

I just think I want to finish the tutorial first, before I finish the campaigns. I am actually about half-way done with my Europe campaign and the tutorial.

ShrikeHawk
04-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Please do it! I have plans for DCG.

I'm just starting (again) with the IL2 series and am loving it. I worked with DCG when Paul Lowengrin originally made it for CFS2. I happily created 11 of my own campaigns. Paul even made a special version for me so I could plugin Finnish names. Kind soul that he is.

I haven't installed DCG yet because I'm still learning the much tougher FMs in IL2 and don't want to embarass my computer with tragic failure on the "easy" setting, hehehe. But I'm getting better and will soon get started. I'll probably pass on the native DGen and go straight to DCG.

A tutorial to make the install in an unfamiliar system smooth would be totally cool. Don't believe the doomsayers who say IL2 is dead. People who like it (and they are legion) will stick with it for years to come. And add-ons like DCG only extend the life of a sim. Software may get updated but people's computers don't update as fast (i.e., bank accounts to support it).

ShrikeHawk

Scharnhorst1943
04-24-2007, 08:58 PM
ShrikeHawk, if I don't finish it I will be sure to give you what I have, and set you square on the rest. Is it a deal? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Timex62
04-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Sign me up please! I have been able to figure many thing out on my own (and with help thanks!) but I am far from the most computer literate person here. Such a guide would be of great use to me.

Widowmaker214
04-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Yeah, Keep going. There are always little details some people miss too and the more info we have the better.
My group will probably use IL2 and DCG for another year and a half, two years, until BOB has enough planes in it to be attractive.

Plus.. Rnzoli has now created a server software package to let the IL2 dedicated server work with DCG.. We are in the process of setting one up as we speak.

As well for squadrons, The statistics output is quite nice. I use a program called watchdirectory to monitor my DCG campaign folders. WHen a debriefing file changes, watchdirectory runs a batch file to convert the stat files to txt files, and then uploads them to my squadron site.

You can check out the results page .. the ops shed.. over at www.214th.com/sheep (http://www.214th.com/sheep)