PDA

View Full Version : Rudder tutorial

Schwarz.13
09-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Hi. I joined this forum a few months ago after getting into FB & now 1946. However, i moved house a few months ago & it's taken me this long to start playing again & get my connection set up.

I've decided to invest in some Saitek rudder pedals & as i've always had a twist-stick (MS Sidewinder 2), i've never really used rudder yet, except to counter torque on take-off.

Does anyone know of any good rudder tutorials (like an .avi/wmv one or something similar)???

I'm looking in particular for tips on when/when not/how much rudder to use during ACMs. I've found the 'Regarding rudders' section in 'In Pursuit' pdf to be really helpful but would like to see a video of Slicebacks,Hammerheads etc. that also told you when and how much rudder to apply.

I understand that i'll simply have to learn to use rudder through trial and error but some extra help would be appreciated...

Schwarz.13
09-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Hi. I joined this forum a few months ago after getting into FB & now 1946. However, i moved house a few months ago & it's taken me this long to start playing again & get my connection set up.

I've decided to invest in some Saitek rudder pedals & as i've always had a twist-stick (MS Sidewinder 2), i've never really used rudder yet, except to counter torque on take-off.

Does anyone know of any good rudder tutorials (like an .avi/wmv one or something similar)???

I'm looking in particular for tips on when/when not/how much rudder to use during ACMs. I've found the 'Regarding rudders' section in 'In Pursuit' pdf to be really helpful but would like to see a video of Slicebacks,Hammerheads etc. that also told you when and how much rudder to apply.

I understand that i'll simply have to learn to use rudder through trial and error but some extra help would be appreciated...

Widowmaker214
09-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Dont know much about tutorials.. but I can give you a few tips at least...

The Slip. Using rudder and aileron to to turn the fuselage at angle against the direction of travel. This uses the fuselage for drag, slowing the plane. To perform, you kick rudder in one direction, then apply aileron in the opposite direction. The amount of aileron required is dependent upon airspeed so its something you'll just have to get used to. Can be used both in combat as well as in landing to dump speed.

Snap Roll. To flip the aircraft quickly onto its back. Use rudder to get the aircraft yawing in one direction, apply a little opposite aileron, then yank back on the stick. The aircraft should snap quickly onto its back, at which time you can pull back on the stick and dive.
When using the rudder for gunnery its just feel. You have to get used to your rudder settings as to how much input is needed. Personally it only requires very little pressure on my rudders. Just tiny bits of input to correct for gun shots.

You can use rudder as well for snap shots in head on passes. Approach the pass a little off center, then kick hard rudder (If bandit is on your left, kick with your left foot. Right if he's on your right side) at the pass to rate the nose around to the target.. take your shot and release the rudder to send you back straight.

K_Freddie
09-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Simple rules:
============
Basic flying:-
-------------
Rudder and stick moves to the same side synchronised together, and back to the middle..together.

Countering torque:-
-----------------
When you rev your engine you'll notice the plane yaw(turn/torque) to one side. You counter this with by applying opposite rudder.

Moves:-
------
On radial engine a/c one uses the rudder to execute very fast flips or rolls. This also works on in-line engines but more effective on radials.

- If you are applying a lot of elevator, kicking the rudder momentarily to one side will cause the plane to temporarily stall, flipping the plane over to the side of applied rudder. This is very fast so be prepared to apply opposite rudder if you get into a stall.

- When rolling with aerolons, applying rudder in the same direction increases the roll rate.

High G moves:-
-------------
When pulling Hi-G moves (lots of elevator) you'll notice that the plane starts to yaw/roll over to the one side as you approach stall condition. Oppostie rudder helps here. The same effect happens when you have flaps extended.

That's it..
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Edt: I have the Saitek pedals too.. Felt a bit odd at first, feet in the wrong direction, foot stuck in the corner http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif. It all comes together and your a/c control is so much better, especially in those high stress 5 minute dogfights with one other plane as you strive to get on top. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

zardozid
09-17-2007, 04:28 PM
In the book about Boyd's life it states that he wrote a paper on "1 vs 1 fighter maneuvering"...one tip he gave to the young pilots was to apply rudder before aileron when executing a roll leading into a (defensive?) break turn. Executing the roll in this manner not only decreases the time it takes to roll your fighter into it's new heading (before pulling stick), but also has the added benefit of slowing the fighters velocity, increasing the odds that the enemy will overshoot his target point (you)...

VonGrantoven
09-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Terrific tips here guys!
I am still using the rocker on my x45, but this has just about convinced me to shell out some loot and start getting into the action with my feet!