PDA

View Full Version : To PF or not to PF...

Zjoek
09-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Hello,

I have a slow PC. Fast enough to play Il-2 and FB (to a lesser degree..why ARE those dynamic campaigns so hard on the framerate? Bad programming? Single missions with the same number of planes run smooth..), so I never bought PF. Now I recently came back to the sim, and after mucking around a bit offline, I want to try online again. Now I have a few questions about that...

1) Are there (preferably on Hyperlobby) any servers left that run just FB+AEP?

2) If I stick to the non-pf maps, will PF run like FB? Or are there really significant engine changes that make it much more demanding? Or: Should I buy PF?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated 8)

Zjoek
09-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Hello,

I have a slow PC. Fast enough to play Il-2 and FB (to a lesser degree..why ARE those dynamic campaigns so hard on the framerate? Bad programming? Single missions with the same number of planes run smooth..), so I never bought PF. Now I recently came back to the sim, and after mucking around a bit offline, I want to try online again. Now I have a few questions about that...

1) Are there (preferably on Hyperlobby) any servers left that run just FB+AEP?

2) If I stick to the non-pf maps, will PF run like FB? Or are there really significant engine changes that make it much more demanding? Or: Should I buy PF?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated 8)

Kuna15
09-12-2005, 03:00 AM
What are your specs?

You just may run PF (merged) decently depending on your specs. This is not that demanding game, untill recently I have run merged PF on 1GhZ Celeron. Just online is nightmare because of stutter. Offline I have selected low video details etc. in order to have better frame rates.

If you ask me, buy PF it is likely that your system wont 'argue' much more than with FB only.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mole_boy
09-12-2005, 03:01 AM
well to help you we peobably need more info ie: speed, RAM, video card etc etc. And no you cant join a PF server without PF... but if you can run pf get it, its worth the effort

Zjoek
09-12-2005, 03:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mole_boy:
And no you cant join a PF server without PF... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Offcourse not.. I wondered if there were servers that still ran FB+AEP http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Well... Allright.. Specs... Beware! My specs are not for the faint of heart... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Pentium 3 866mhz
256Mb Ram
Geforce 4 MX

Before you laugh at me/ridicule me, Fb runs! Yes! It does! Not extremely smooth, but it runs. Online too. My system is tweaked to the max http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

So... Is PF any harder on the system?

... And can someone explain to me why dynamic campaign missions are much more demanding than the original missions/single missions?
[Edit: In all fairness I DO have to mention that the Gulf of Finland is just.. too much. That thing is a memory hog! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif]

rnzoli
09-12-2005, 05:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zjoek:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mole_boy:
And no you cant join a PF server without PF... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Offcourse not.. I wondered if there were servers that still ran FB+AEP http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There are only very few. One or two you can find on UBI.com, in the Forgotten Battles ACE lobby. Unfortunately, there is no lobby for PF merged, so many PF v4.01m versions are hosted in this lobby, too. Look explicitely v2.04 in the titles of the rooms.

Xiolablu3
09-12-2005, 07:44 AM
The reason for this framerate hit is that your CPU has so much more to work out in a dynamic campaign.

In the Single player campaign there are only about 15-20 planes in any mission which the computer has to track and work out AI for.

In the dynamic campaign I have had over 100 on the map.

Between every one of your movements the CPU has to work out the movements of 99 other planes, what they are doing, how they react etc etc.

Get More RAM, its sooo cheap there is no excuse for not getting another 512mb. The stutters will stop but your framerate will not improve.

Zjoek
09-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Over 100? ****. I thought only the planes/ground objects that mattered were put on the map. That explains something... Inefficient too as I never see them 8P
...Maybe I should fiddle around with DCGen or something...

But basically if I can run FB+AEP, I should be able to run PF?

Yeah I'm upgrading in three months or so, get myself a proper rig..

Zeus-cat
09-12-2005, 04:02 PM
I noticed no change in performance when I installed PF on top of AEP+FB. PF is more like a super add-on than a new game.

Zeus-cat

vocatx
09-12-2005, 05:16 PM
I too was worried about whether my old system could run PF before I got it. This was before patch 4.01. I was surprised to find an increase, though slight, when I merged PF. I can't guarantee you will get the same results, but that was my experience.

Taylortony
09-12-2005, 05:48 PM
I looked on PF as simply FB with extras ie a patched version and it didnt effect much.... i think you should be ok if you can run the other s ok.....

Kuna15
09-12-2005, 06:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
I noticed no change in performance when I installed PF on top of AEP+FB. PF is more like a super add-on than a new game.

Zeus-cat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With few fps more or less, I share that opinion. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VW-IceFire
09-12-2005, 06:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zjoek:
Over 100? ****. I thought only the planes/ground objects that mattered were put on the map. That explains something... Inefficient too as I never see them 8P
...Maybe I should fiddle around with DCGen or something...

But basically if I can run FB+AEP, I should be able to run PF?

Yeah I'm upgrading in three months or so, get myself a proper rig.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
DGen has the ability to render less objects. Its doable.

I think he meant to say there are maybe 100 objects running AI routines in a dynamic campaign. Tanks, vehicle convoys, trains, and aircraft. Maybe even ships.

There isn't generally an excessive number of them...FB's DGEN is pretty tame actually.

Its not inefficient but it can be better. Oleg is talking about using scalled AI systems so hundreds of planes can be run at the same time but only the ones nearby are running the important detailed stuff. This is new an somewhat experimental.

PBNA-Boosher
09-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Alas, poor Yoric, I knew him well.

fluke39
09-13-2005, 12:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

In the dynamic campaign I have had over 100 on the map.

Between every one of your movements the CPU has to work out the movements of 99 other planes, what they are doing, how they react etc etc.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are u sure about that Xiola?

i have never seen that many planes on any of the normal dynamic campaigns (perhaps your are refering to DCG?)

or do you mean it works out successe/failrees of other squadrons to calculate the overall change between each mission?

Anyhow Xiola is defintely right about getting more ram if you are patient you should be able to pick up some quite cheap of ebay.

i have a 1Ghz pentium III with 512Mb ram and a Geforce ti4600 and i find i can run PF "quite" well i cant have loads of aircraft and i cant knock the graphics up full but it gets me by.

Also i did find that PF standalone ran alot worse than a merged install.

also you will find running on 16 bit as opposed to 32 makes alot of difference (eg 1024x768x16 as opposed to 1064x768x32

perhaps you ought to look on ebay for a slightly better graphics card too - you could probably sell your MX and pick up a 4200/4600 for the same price if ur luckyn which would give performance a bit of a boost.(i have a spare 4200 that i may sell but i not sure how much of an upgrade it is from your MX)

plumps_
09-13-2005, 02:07 PM
why ARE those dynamic campaigns so hard on the framerate? Bad programming? Single missions with the same number of planes run smooth.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not just the number of planes. It's the number of all AI objects (AAA, vehicles...) -- and the map(!).

Some of the dynamic campaigns are set on the large Gulf of Finnland map. That map alone requires more RAM than the 256 MB your computer has!

You might also search the readme files for information on how to tweak the conf.ini to get better FPS in dynamic campaigns. There are a few settings that influence the number of aircraft and ground objects in DGen missions.

Or search for IL-2 Shturmovik Stab, with this little program you can change the conf.ini settings with a few clicks.

Zjoek
09-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Well I guess I'm getting PF after all. Upgrades will have to wait until I get my whole new rig. With my budget, I can afford an Athlon 3500 with 1gb ram and a Geforce 6800GT. Should be ok I guess, though not uber-top-of-the-bill stuff. See you in the virtual skies somewhere http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

fluke39
09-13-2005, 02:33 PM
"Should be ok I guess",- he says http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif !!

Zjoek
09-28-2005, 05:32 AM
Well I decided to drag this old topic back from the murky depths for a "progress report" of sorts...

I got myself PF! ...And my game was really stuttery. It was nigh unplayable actually.. So I decided to get myself an extra bit of ram to help me out. Though the stutters dissappeared completely, the framerates were really bad, online was unplayable, though I remember that FB was quite doable.

Still I will persist and conquer! I'll try everything that's in the "PF tips & tweaks" thread,will search for the best settings etc. and hopefully I'll find a setup that'll work ^_^

carguy_
09-28-2005, 05:38 AM
In a certain PF patch there was a "new_exe" file that was meant to force PF not to run CD all the time.Depending on the system some people noticed drastic performance gain and some noticed new stutters.Try this out.

For FPS I recommend turning down number of audio channels to 16 and visibility distance to medium.

Zjoek
09-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Been there, done that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I tweaked my graphic settings and downloaded il2stab... Which helped! I just finished an online dogfight mission in an SBD. After looking for targets in the wrong places after 15 minutes I found a ship, and missed. XD

Well it went ok, no uber-framerates, but good enough for poor old me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Zjoek = happy, PF works!

major_setback
09-28-2005, 04:58 PM
PF needs the first patch that came out after it's release (3.something I think). It NEEDS it!! Stutters and frame-rate loss were quite normal the first few weeks before this came out (as well as crash-to-desktops), but after the patch I found that frame rates were better than EVER!
Beware of the later patches though: The 4.01m (and 4.00m) patches introduce new clouds and new flight models that increase the load on your system significantly.

Patch to at least 3.03 merged!

Jumoschwanz
09-28-2005, 08:32 PM
First, the new clouds in the latest patch can be enabled or disabled so don't sweat it.

Second, go into your Bios and open up the AGP aperature as wide as it will f*&cking go! Don't listen to puss ies that spout bull about how it should be this or that. as long as you have at least 768mb of ram just do it, it will at least double your framerates over the default setting.

YOur video card is a piece of junk. I used to have one on my 900mhz AMD athlon. that rig did not smooth out until I got a REAL GF2 card. You want one? I have one laying in my junk box! Send me a PM with an email and we will talk.

a friend of mine is still 4.01 merged on my old 900 athlon with 768mb of ram and a GF2 ultra, at 1024x768. He does fine.

Did I tell you your video card is a piece of krap? I will GIVE you the GF2 I have just so I can sleep better, there I put my foot in my mouth so now take advantage of it. I already sent one to Norway so no big deal.

S!

Jumoschwanz

SnailRunner
09-29-2005, 12:22 AM
what i did whe i had my low end puter was folowing (and i have bought the game bla bla)

made the "standard" changes to the config
Get the no cd (sorry ubi but this works)

Then i copyed the entire ubi folder to other location and uninstalled the game from system. go into the copy of the game make shortcut to exe and play the game, it will run alot better

if you play on HL just browse game location and point it to the folder, when there is patches, just do the same, browse to location for copy

this is a good way to make the game abit more playable (i got 20FPS) more from this fix)

Zjoek
09-29-2005, 02:12 AM
Wow, unorthodox fixes, which I'll try. Anything for my quest for framerates (trumpet sounds, marching music etc http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

Jumoschwanz (lol) are you sure? PM's on the way ^_^. Yeah I know. MX series kinda... suck.