PDA

View Full Version : Water splash effects for bullets

Choctaw111
01-16-2005, 07:58 PM
I just wanted to thank you for fixing the splashes for the rifle caliber machine guns. I was just wondering why the splashes for the rifle caliber guns is more visible than the splashes from the 50 cal ,20mm or even the 37mm from the Il2-3M! I understand that some rounds are HE and others aren't (the splashes from the MK108and 103 are great) but any sizable projectile traveling at supersonic speed hitting the water is really going to churn it up. The splashes from the 50 cal, 20mm and others are barely visible. Does anyone have a movie or picture they could put here to show what the water looks like when it gets hit by certian types of ammunition? I know this may seem like a small thing to some people but I like to fly fast and low and attack aircraft close to the ground and when my bullets hit the ground or water I want it to be as aweinspiring as possible. These are not BB guns these are high powered weapons of war meant to do some serious damage so lets see it...

VW-IceFire
01-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Probably because there are more rifle bullets hitting an area than there are the larger slower firing ones?

I don't know what you mean exactly...things look impressive to me.

prop-head
01-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Chocktaw has raised a point I meant to look into further at some point. Indeed, it seems to me that splash effects are not balanced as to caliber of round. I haven't carried out extensive tests, but so far on the casual low level runs where I shot up the water to compare splash size/height/duration, the larger caliber rounds didn't seem to scale up as one might think. To be sure I wasn't muddying the picture with multiple hits in a limited area, I would swing my crate in yaw so that the bullet stream(s) would walk across the water and hence spread out the hits, making each splash stand out in isolation.

One would naively think that the larger diameter projectiles should raise more spray, perhaps even if they traveled at a not insignificantly lower speed?....

pourshot
01-17-2005, 11:29 PM
This is what the beaufighter with 6x.303 and 4x20mm looks like when fireing at a range of 400 yards and diving at a angle of 20 deg.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~andycarroll68/gunsat400yards.jpg

Choctaw111
01-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Do you think that this is what the splashes look like in the sim? I shouldn't really call them splahes but rather a spray that is thown into the air caused by the supersonic projectile hitting the water. It does not look at all like throwing a stone into the water. That is a splash of large water dropplets. When you are dealing with supersonic objects you get a much more dramatic effect. What I see in Il2 is 50 cal and 20mm and so forth hitting the water and their is no spray just a splash and it is very hard to see from any kind of distance. When these rounds hit the water there is no doubt about it, the spray really stands out and you think to yourself "WOW!" these things are really powerful! I hope that attention is paid into correcting this.