PDA

View Full Version : Moveable Carriers

MAILMAN------
06-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Any chance of Carriers ever being moveable in the network games? Aces High is an online Combat type of flight sim and it has fleets that steam around so it can be done and with large numbers of players. The only detraction in that sim is that the fleets steam into each other (due to player input) and have surface battles and also get postitioned for shore bombardment. It would be nice to have a large map with the host being able to have predetermined courses for CV's for a few reasons. One the bad guys would have to search for their target. Two it would be more difficult to hit the moving target. Three is that naval aircraft could take off with realistic bomb and fuel loads due to wind effect across the deck. What about modeling wind? If we could say control wind speed and direction at least stationary carriers could be statically pointed into the wind for launch and recovery. Just some thoughts.

AFSG_Bulldog
06-11-2005, 02:06 PM
I wonder how Aces High synchronize all of the players to be in the same place in time as everyone else and yet have moving objects that everyone sees the same. Basically, in a DF map the ground does not move so all players see it in the same place and it does not matter when they join.

In CFS2 you could have moving carriers but the carrier was located only for you. It was placed when you entered the mission. That is why when you were on the deck, with other players, they would be floating above or below the deck as the ship rocked.

If you really want to do as you mentioned simply make your missions co-operative and not DF. That way everyone is synchronized at the beginning of the mission and it is visually the same for everyone and you have moving carriers.

I know it is not as convenient for someone who want's to join after the mission has begun but then there are compromises for everything in life.

MAILMAN------
06-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by AFSG_Bulldog:
I wonder how Aces High synchronize all of the players to be in the same place in time as everyone else and yet have moving objects that everyone sees the same. Basically, in a DF map the ground does not move so all players see it in the same place and it does not matter when they join.

In CFS2 you could have moving carriers but the carrier was located only for you. It was placed when you entered the mission. That is why when you were on the deck, with other players, they would be floating above or below the deck as the ship rocked.

If you really want to do as you mentioned simply make your missions co-operative and not DF. That way everyone is synchronized at the beginning of the mission and it is visually the same for everyone and you have moving carriers.

I know it is not as convenient for someone who want's to join after the mission has begun but then there are compromises for everything in life.

I don't know how they do it either, but players are constantly joining the game and leaving. The maps are huge and several fleets each for all three countries are moving on the map. Players can write up missions for people to join, but most just pick an airfield or CV (correct aircraft obviously) to take off from. It is especially hairy if one of the game's players starts to turn the task group while you are taking off or landing. I have seen many a plane roll off the deck with a sudden turn during approach or take off.

I have all of the CFS games and never tried to create a mission.

WB_Outlaw
06-13-2005, 06:32 PM
The carriers in AH are synched just like player aircraft, tanks, APCs, supply trucks, PT boats, landing craft, etc. It's not a big deal. Friendly collisions are turned off in regular arena play to avoid the nastiness that occurs in PF.

-Outlaw.