PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated server for PF or FB+AEP+PF?

F16_Neo
10-26-2004, 04:48 AM
Will the DS version of PF be a standalone PF-only installation or can we use it as an addon to the existing FB-AEP DS?
And if it will be a standalone install, can users with FB+AEP+PF join it? Anyone know?

crazyivan1970
10-26-2004, 08:53 AM
There will be two different servers avail for download. 300MB PF dedicated and 500MB AEP+PF dedicated. Brand new servers with 128 clients support.

Cheers!

WTE_DuStA
10-27-2004, 07:07 PM
and any idea when we will see these servers ?
It's rather annoying having the game and not being able to put up a server and there seems to be no idea as to when we will see it. Also is the new ded server going to work with FBD and FBD stats.

crazyivan1970
10-27-2004, 11:47 PM
After USA release, meaning very soon.

DRB_Irish1
10-28-2004, 10:50 PM
great stuff, thanks fellas.

NorrisMcWhirter
10-29-2004, 05:45 AM
Hi,

CrazyIvan - will the PF patch be released at the same time?

Cheers,
Norris

Diablo310th
10-29-2004, 08:11 AM
ok...US release is here....now where is that Ded. Server patch? LOL I really want to see WarClouds updated now.

WTE_DuStA
11-01-2004, 12:09 AM
a bit of feedback from 1C would be nice. US release was last week, where is our dedicated server dammit. This is starting to become annoying as it's holding up our WAW campaign that is already started.

Hunter82
11-01-2004, 07:45 AM
ok we'll see if we can get them to hurry up the patch so you can run your server..... ugh http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

WTE_DuStA
11-01-2004, 05:23 PM
well this hardly just affects me now does it. What about all the other ded servers running around the world . But as always australia is the last to get anything.| http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
11-01-2004, 05:56 PM
This seems to always be a problem and I don't know why it isn't addressed sooner. The game is released with no dedicated server capabilities. Its a very important aspect ot the game for many players and I think that online simmers would prefer having one less version of the Yak, Spitfire or P-40 in exchange for an online server. This isn't a whine, I'm just curious what the motivation is here. Are they just releasing the product too early, do they need to know about possibe bugs before they complete it, is it a crazy conspiracy perpetrated by Mr. Maddox and his team to drive his throng of adoring fans crazy? I just don't know. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Hunter82
11-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Prior to release of the game it was said and in almost every post leading up that the game would be patched after release. This would include the dedicated server at that time. Until the patch is released no dedicated server will be released.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
This seems to always be a problem and I don't know why it isn't addressed sooner. The game is released with no dedicated server capabilities. Its a very important aspect ot the game for many players and I think that online simmers would prefer having one less version of the Yak, Spitfire or P-40 in exchange for an online server. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3.JG51_BigBear
11-01-2004, 06:00 PM
So? I've been haunting these forums since the game came out three years ago and I've seen the announcements. Still doesn't really answer the question. Do they need to match or something?

Hunter82
11-01-2004, 06:13 PM
yes they do need to match

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
So? I've been haunting these forums since the game came out three years ago and I've seen the announcements. Still doesn't really answer the question. Do they need to match or something? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WTE_DuStA
11-01-2004, 09:21 PM
i understand what your saying hunter82 but in all reality it's pretty poor. Things like this should be tested before the game is released. The il2 series is one of the few games i have been interested in that somehow releases a game without a ded server and makes everyone wait for the next patch to come out to have the ability to host a server. If anything it's hurting the community as most people can atm only host say 15 odd ppl off their home connection and when your squad has over 40 active pilots its a bit frustrating.

Nero111
11-02-2004, 12:32 AM
WTE_DuStA
We do not live in a perfect world and things like this rarely ever go accoring to plan if ever.
I seriousely doubt that UBI or Maddox do this on purpose and tell everyone they will get the server software at the same time as the game release, just to hold it back for a couple of weeks to watch everyone start moaning, Im sure they have better things to do.

That said no matter how much testing is done in any game before it is released it will never ever be as comprehensive as when the game is released to the public and extensively played.
Bugs are always found in every game after the realease, no matter how much testing was done or could be afforded prior to the release.
Imagine if Maddox pump out a dedi now, with all the bugs then have to apply the game patch and the dedi patch. Makes more work for them, plus the community will start whinning then about how 'unproffesional' it was for them to release it if it wasnt working, starting to get the picture, they are in a no win situation.
Lets also remember that the dedi is free and probably requires a fair amount of work to get it 'in synch' with the game itself and the modes, let alone the complexities of all the different types of game types that can be played now.
Always remember, lets be thankfull for what we have and lets not spend to much time on what we dont have.
The IL2 series is an UBER sim and I'm sure the dedi will be along shortly. Its just the nature of the business m8, and calls for a little bit of patience from the community in the interests of getting things as close to 'RIGHT' as possible the first time round.
Hang tough.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Diablo310th
11-03-2004, 11:12 AM
CrazyIvan posted about news of teh patch from OM is due this Friday. Lets hope it is teh patch and DS Patch too. Till then I guess I'll just have to be patient.