PDA

View Full Version : Mangree/Camodile puzzle figured out BUT can't do it fast enough

tukhus
11-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Ok, I've been patient and passed my 50th try:

I load my saved game, get the camodile to run into the pit, immediately dial R3/L1/C1 and the white monkey throws the fruit. Always too slow, the camodile gets away.

I'm so tired of this, and (if this weren't a game) I'd be REALLY worried about Yeesha.

Any shortcuts?

Thanks in advance,
Rob in NYC

PS Myst used to be a game of the mind, not of shoot-em-up game reactive dexterity...

maztec
11-15-2004, 08:19 PM
the patch.. is supposed to fix this ..

maztec
11-15-2004, 08:40 PM
See here for that patch:
http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10089

ChaoticCoyote
11-16-2004, 07:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
See here for that patch:
http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10089
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm running 1.02, and it hasn't helped; I don't see any more time to do the final sequence.

My problem isn't speed, but the sensitivity of the dials. I can't seem to hit 3/4 or 1/4 precisely three times in a row on the first try, and there isn't time to try it more than once. I've changed the cursor speed and transparency, but nothing has helped.

I suspect this is one of those "practice, practice, practice" puzzles -- boring, non-immersive, and frustrating. But it is what it is, so I will try again later today. I had much less trouble with the Spire puzzle, even before the patch...

maztec
11-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Interesting, my experience was just the opposite.

I found the best way was to experiment a bit getting the monkeys to move.

The trick for me was not "time" but number of rotations.

One full rotation was a "long" and a half rotation was a "short".

I've tested this several times and it's consistent. Then to mix things up I tried two full rotations as "long" and one full rotation as "short" and it still works....

Maz

ChaoticCoyote
11-16-2004, 07:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
The trick for me was not "time" but number of rotations.

One full rotation was a "long" and a half rotation was a "short".

I've tested this several times and it's consistent. Then to mix things up I tried two full rotations as "long" and one full rotation as "short" and it still works....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried your recipe, and it has never moved a monkey.

For me, a "short" seems to be about a quarter-turn, and a "long" is 3/4 of a turn.

But that's only a rough measure; the tone is different lengths even when I move the dials the same distances, depending on how fast I turn the handle.

This appears to be a dexterity-based puzzle that varies from machine to machine.

maztec
11-16-2004, 09:22 AM
funny, dexterity seemed to never enter the equation on that puzzle for me *shrug* To each their own problems http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Complain to Ubi! :P (Mind you, can you do that via their official support threads?)

Te Ana
11-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Perhaps the reason some of us cannot do this puzzle is because we are experiencing a mouse bug?

For me, the dials do not stay in place. As I move my mouse to turn a dial, the entire image moves. Thus, I have to "catch" the dials each time before I can turn them. This makes it impossible for me to do this puzzle. I cannot find the correct spot to spin the dials because of this constant motion. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

Other puzzles zoom into the puzzle screen and stay put in a stable position. Thus allowing me to easily manipulate the puzzle controls.

Heimdall_G
11-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Some folks like a fast mouse cursor, so they enable cursor acceleration in their mouse utility program and set cursor speed on 'high'. This can lead to:

-- a. Cursor overshoot, where the cursor consistently zips past its target and requires additional mouse movement to position it properly.
-- b. An excessively high sensitivity in some programs to cursor movement, that is, more movement of a 'moused' object in the program per unit of cursor movement than intended or desirable.

If you can't manipulate the dials well, or if the image moves, try using your mouse utility program to turn off cursor acceleration and/or decrease the amount of cursor movement per unit of mouse movement (slow down the cursor).

maztec
11-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Huh? Center screen image and then right click for a free mouse and rotate them.. Heck for me it always plays through the "right click" and I am stuck with a free mouse, when I'd actually prefer not to have one.

Te Ana
11-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks! I will try the right click/free mouse solution. That one sounds more like my situation. I'll let you know if that fixes my problem.

Te Ana
11-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Back again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I finally tried the puzzle again and the free look option only works for the first attempt at turning a wheel. Subsequent wheels continue to move while trying to turn them. No amount of right clicking seems to stablilize the wheels.

I am using a wireless mouse, could that be the problem? Does everyone experience this problem of the wheels moving around? This could very well be the proper fix for this puzzle if that is the case.

maztec
11-28-2004, 07:32 PM
That's just flat out weird. The puzzle is even set to put you into free look.. And the wheels don't move themselves :P

Te Ana
11-30-2004, 07:19 PM
This sounds like a bug that needs fixing. Maybe others are having the same problem but don't know how to express it. How about a poll of some kind to see if others are having this problem?

Te Ana
12-14-2004, 09:15 AM
This is definitely a bug that needs fixing. I transferred a saved game to my unsupported laptop (no hyperthreading and a wired mouse)and was able to finish this puzzle the first try!

But there are still issues that need solving. I had to turn the wheels backwards a little before moving the other direction. Otherwise, they would not call the monkeys. I accidentally figured that out because the monkeys just wouldn't move when called. I tried turning the wheels in each direction, but still no monkey movement. The combo action worked!