PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using "Shoot!" voice recognition?

Lurch1962
04-15-2008, 05:21 PM
I just downloaded this voice recognition app designed, it seems, primarily for gamers. How well does it work? Any particular issues to be aware of?

Thanks!

Lurch1962
04-15-2008, 06:52 PM
I guess I'll have to get 'er up an' running, then, and post a "review." Looks to be of greater utility to us off-liners, what with the somewhat cumbersome comms menu to wade through when trying to get your flight(s) to be most productive in the thick of battle.

In the meantime, I hope to hear from someone who's already mastered this promising-looking little package.

buzzsaw1939
04-15-2008, 09:04 PM
If your talking about that program where you talk to your AI flight, I'm interested, looking forward to your review. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

rnzoli
04-16-2008, 03:15 AM
I think I saw it from BearCat99, or somewhere on Mission4Today.

I even downloaded and installed, but dropped it later on because of a few issues:
- requires some built-in microsoft voice recognition add-ons
- it is a considerable CPU load to process voice signals
- it should be solved somehow that you talk either separately or at the same time to your AI flights in a co-operative missions, and your human team mates via TS.

STENKA_69.GIAP
04-16-2008, 04:29 AM
I tried it out a couple of years ago.

On a monoprocessor machine with IL2 running, IL2 hogged all the resources. So you would shout at it to do something like gear up, nothing happens, shout again, nothing happens, shout again.... then your gear starts going up and down like a pogo stick.

With a modern multi core system it should be better.

Of course it's no use online when using voice comms.

funkster319
04-16-2008, 05:27 AM
I haven't tried "Shoot" but I have tried "VAC" (I think it was called that) - I tried it on BOB2:WOV and IL2 , it worked a treat with no noticable "hit" at all. I only really used it for AI commands etc as I feel that there is just something wrong or "gamey" with having Flight controls operated by voice but thats just IMO. Anyway I haven't reloaded it since my PC was rebuilt but thats only because I've been doing alot more MP flying.

I also read an interesting review of the "IL2 Version of Voice Buddy" , which I believe is quite good and also contains some kind of ACM tutorial which interested me. Any one tried it? Got any vid examples of the ACM tutorials?

Review here: http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/review/vb-il2.htm

I'm running an AMD2 5000+, 88000GT, 2GB Corsair, WD Raptor Drives in case you ask.

mmitch10
04-16-2008, 05:46 AM
My experience with VAC is the same as funkster319's. On my old Athlon 2400+, there was no noticeable drop in frame rate, or lag for the commands to be recognized. As with Shoot, VAC also required installation of some Microsoft voice recognition software, and some training of the software, which took a short time but once it was up and running it was fine.

A word of warning...when I programmed commands into VAC I got a few wrong and it gave some spurious number key presses...so I would give the AI a command and an extra number 1 would be pressed. At the time I had this mapped to mixture, so I would be happily flying round chatting to my AI buddies, when suddenly my mixture would drop to 10%. Took me a while to figure out what was going on, and rather than re-assign all of the VAC commands, I just re-assigned mixture to [SHIFT}+number

funkster319
04-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Yeah you gotta be careful with that lol :O)

I think IIIRC that I downloaded some VAC profiles and then just tweaked them so short cutted some of the training. Pretty good prog :O)

Bearcat99
04-16-2008, 07:30 AM
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">VAC </span> or Voice Activated Command (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=369) is the way to go. I like it more because it uses a GUI... and also becuse it is made by a member of this community.. Shift_E. It is a great utility. You have to take the time to set up the MS voice software... but it is worth it.

Originally posted by rnzoli:
I even downloaded and installed, but dropped it later on because of a few issues:
- it should be solved somehow that you talk either separately or at the same time to your AI flights in a co-operative missions, and your human team mates via TS.

The way around that is to use a separate key for
Originally posted by rnzoli:

The way around that is to use separate keys for VAC. For instance.. I use my CTRL key for comms.. On my X-45 on the mouse button I have ALT, CTRL & SHIFT programmed in modes 1,2 & 3. I use the ALT key for VAC.. so when I want to alk to the AI I shift to mode 1.. when I am on comms I got to mode 2... it works for me.

Lurch1962
04-16-2008, 05:41 PM
One of the benefits of Shoot! is that it's free, and moreover I don't have a credit card with which to make online purchases.

I tried it out a couple of years ago.

Perhaps it's "matured" in the interim, or at least more "aggressively" utilizes available resources? And who needs a GUI? I'm not averse to editing xml scripts.

But performance counts, so I've dl'd VAC just now to at least try out, based on youse guys' recommendations. I assume I'll only need to install the "core" version, as the full install of Shoot! included the M$ voice recognition software.

Who knows? I just might try out both in a show down! If so, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the replies! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

bigbossmalone
04-18-2008, 04:26 AM
I can whole-heartedly give my support to VAC - it works a treat, no noticeable performance hit, and its also free. The IL2 voice recognition package of choice, IMHO.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif