PDA

View Full Version : OT... But I do hope any of you in the California area are all OK

Taylortony
10-25-2007, 03:50 PM
And don't forget if you have to evacuate, Grab the wif......err, Chilre........errr, Computer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously for a change.....Be safe OK.

cundo
10-25-2007, 04:13 PM
thank you,there is a lot of smoke in the air still ,and there is ash falling from the sky.

JG52Uther
10-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Nice sentiment TT but I would imagine that they already left.Pretty crappy thing to see,everything going up in flames http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Divine-Wind
10-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Do not worry, theee Guhvernaytor will sayve Kaleefohrneeah.

Stay safe down there... And remember, blame Al Gore and global warming for all your troubles!

Airmail109
10-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Ach this sucks, good luck to all you Californians.

Make sure its not land developers setting fire to the land, like they did in Greece.

JG14_Josf
10-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Driving from Barstow to Victorville today (mid way between Los Angeles and Las Vegas) it looked like the world was burning. Red sun in the morning, haze as far as the eye can see (not very far), and the smell of burning everywhere. Since the smoke blew north and east there is a chance that the Santa Ana winds have returned to normal and perhaps this will help the effort to contain the fire.

The world is burning; it is surreal.

triad773
10-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Too bizarre for words all this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I have 1 relative who evac'd from San Diego a few days ago and no emails and I think their cell must have run out of juice.

Another friend from the same area had their business close for the week so they hopped a plane for my area in the midwest.

Its dah suxors to say the least for many.

Calamity seems too commonplace nowadays http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

horseback
10-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Well this San Diego resident is doing okay, and would like to remind you all that out of literally millions of people in the area, a relative handful were directly affected. The great majority of us merely had to put up with a lot of smoke. Some of us had to miss a few days of work due to road closures, but that is very small potatoes compared to losing your home or a loved one.

The local authorities did a marvelous job getting things organized, and the various private service organizations almost had to turn volunteers and donated supplies away. It was a VASTLY better response than when we had the big fires down here in 2003. It seems that even bureaucrats (or at least some of the new ones we brought in) are capable of learning new tricks.

Things have calmed down sufficiently that the local TV stations are resuming regular programming, and the news departments are no longer constantly onscreen saying the same damned things every 18 minutes (or worse, contradicting what they said just five minutes before). The local weather forecasts indicate that it will be cooling down this weekend, which will be a great help to the airtankers, who can take advantage of the calmer winds fly in and out of some of the canyons dropping ******ants and water, and to the firefighters on the ground, who are usually hot enough without the Santa Ana winds blowing in from the deserts to the east.

It looks like the worst is actually over, and we can get back to something approaching normal life. Of course, one can expect the media to blow things out of proportion, but it looks like their hopes for a Katrina-like scandal have been dashed.

If you really want to help, write a letter to your home insurer and inform them that your renewal will depend greatly upon what kind of service their representatives are reported providing to the fire victims here...

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

cheers

horseback

triad773
10-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi Horseback -
Well this San Diego resident is doing okay hope it stays that way. As an ex-So. California resident myself I know the Santa Anas can be tricky at times.

Yes you are right- the insurance game can seem just that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Regards

Triad

Whirlin_merlin
10-26-2007, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by horseback:

If you really want to help, write a letter to your home insurer and inform them that your renewal will depend greatly upon what kind of service their representatives are reported providing to the fire victims here...

Now that is a ruddy good idea!

Good luck chaps, if you've been caught up in it.

ploughman
10-26-2007, 02:36 AM
I don't want to seem out of order but California:- fire, earthquakes, riots, Eric Estrada...I don't think god wants you to live there.

Stay safe!

bigbossmalone
10-26-2007, 02:43 AM
...and you have a governor who might be hunted down by robots from the future at any point...
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ploughman
10-26-2007, 04:28 AM
...is a robot from the future. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

-HH-Quazi
10-26-2007, 04:33 AM
And too think this was done by arsonists. I keep hearing that the police shot & killed one of the suspects that was caught in the act of starting another fire, & that that have two more in custody.

horseback
10-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I've heard nothing solid about arsonists. There are about FIVE major fires in San Diego county alone, and at least that many more in the LA/Orange/Riverside counties' area, and we knew that the fire danger would be astronomically high because of the weather reports: high winds out of the desert, high pressure, high temps, and extremely low humidity. When it's that dry, almost anything can start a wildfire, even a heated retort.

At least one of the fires (the Harris fire, which is burning along the border east of San Diego) was caused by power lines breaking in the high winds we had last weekend. We can thank the treehuggers for that, because they have blocked the construction of new power lines built to higher standards for the last 20 years. They've also done their best to prevent clearing the brush & dead wood in the mountains and rural areas, in the name of 'preserving Nature'.

More like 'preserving the Tinder'.

Arson is a likely cause of at least one of the later fires. Firebugs want to get their kicks somehow, and the pressure caused by round the clock coverage of something related to their sick fascination always causes a few of them to break. But it could also be as simple as the sun reflecting off a piece of broken glass, a cigarette that wasn't completely crushed, a car pulling of the side of the road and having its catalytic converter brushing against dry grass, heat lightning or even spontaneous combustion in a pile of dead brush.

When you have as high a non-native population as we do here, i.e., folks raised in much more water-rich and less fire prone places like those found east of the Mississippi, it's hard to make sure that everyone knows how to exercise the proper care during high-threat periods.

Smugglers out of Mexico have been known to cause a few fires to distract the authorities as well...

As to the whole earthquakes/wildfires/riots/Eric Estrada why-does-anyone-live-in-California thing, I can only reply that with the exception of earthquakes and Eric Estrada, most of the natural disasters we are prone to here are predictable and avoidable, unlike flooding or cyclones in the Midwest, hurricanes and windstorms along the southeast coast, the constant drizzle and overrated coffee of the Northwest, or the taxes, freezing cold and liberal politicians of the northeast.

No place is perfect all the time. At least in these modern times, we are mobile enough to pick the risks we have to live with.

cheers

horseback

-HH-Quazi
10-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Arsonists have been mentioned for the last two evenings on the national evening news. Actually is was Bryan Williams on the NBC Evening News that reported the police had shot & killed a suspected arsonist while in the act & that two suspects had been arrested. As you said though, not all of them were set by firebugs.

JG52Uther
10-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
Arsonists have been mentioned for the last two evenings on the national evening news. Actually is was Bryan Williams on the NBC Evening News that reported the police had shot & killed a suspected arsonist & that two suspects had been arrested.
Personally it would have been better if police had shot and killed 3 arsonists.

huggy87
10-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
I don't want to seem out of order but California:- fire, earthquakes, riots, Eric Estrada...I don't think god wants you to live there.

Stay safe!

Don't forget floods and landslides. I missed a week of school as a kid due to flooding in my area.

leitmotiv
10-26-2007, 08:04 PM
On behalf of my fellow Californicators, I do want thank TT for being such a little gentleman!

And, yes, Pman, clearly we are not wanted here, but we are hardy edgework types who live from moment to moment with narrowed eyes, thin lips, and clenched ----holes.

http://www.kimcm.dk/4fun/hotornot/Images/ClintEastwood.jpg

general_kalle
10-27-2007, 03:30 AM
so what do you guys think, Cause?
International terrorism
local terrorism
just a local crime gone crazy
or a accident somewhere?

personally i think we have al qaeda back in business.
and i think its the same as those who started those in Greece

sad story.
lets hope it stays at 1 dead

joeap
10-27-2007, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by general_kalle:
International terrorism
local terrorism
or a accident somewhere?

sad story.

Oh come on, fires have been around as long as trees and oxygen. Arson has been around as long as humans since they learnt to make fire.

Manos1
10-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by general_kalle:
International terrorism
local terrorism
or a accident somewhere?

sad story.

If the matter of people risking their lifes to stop the fire and people dying because of that (in Greece more than 50 people perished) was not so serious, I would be on the floor laughing about what you wrote.
Sadly, I can not.

But if you are so keen to find responsibles for crimes, here is something to keep you occupied.
I can not comment about this site, I dropped on this searching for Intel's new CPUs and wonder how much of this is true... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

http://badhardware.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html#4894395367532326137

quote:
Investigators say plans were made to move those warheads off the
base, allowing them to be used for what was to
be a massive, nuclear "terrorist" strike against
five U.S. cities. They speculate the attacks would have been blamed
on AL-Qaida and used as an excuse to impose Martial Law in the U.S.

Is this something like a hoax?

~S~