PDA

View Full Version : i have FB-AEP-PF install but also have the original il2....

Daytraders
04-05-2006, 10:17 AM
i have FB-AEP-PF install but also have the original il2 game the very 1st, so my question is i never played the original il2 single player, am i missing anything if i play the merged install only, or should i install il2 original for the single player part ?. thx

ytareh
04-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Original IL2 Sturmovil and Forgotten Battles are completely incompatible.(Although strangely the Operation Barbarossa add on will work with either)
Most would say that the original is a lot more primitive and it is -in comparison to PF-but still miles better than any competitors.
I think you should still install it as it still has its charms-raw- like your favourite musicians early work.Many remark that the sounds are very different.Its amazing to see how right Oleg got it while many much more recent games/sims seem so poor .

Skycat_2
04-05-2006, 10:28 AM
I don't know what to tell you here ...

The original IL-2 has fewer Soviet and German planes (obviously) and all of the maps are Russia or Berlin. You don't have the diversity of even Forgotten Battles. Also, the planes that do exist are lower in detail so they look cartoonish in comparison to current standards, especially the pilot figures. All campaigns are 'scripted' missions so no dynamic campaign.

On the other hand, original IL-2 takes up comparatively little harddrive space so installing it isn't a huge resource commitment. Many people favor the engine sounds and FMs in original IL-2. The impact on CPU and graphics card is so much less than FB/PF that you can have have maximum number of planes in the air and still not see a major impact on FPS. The included campaigns are kind of fun.

Aeronautico
04-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Original IL2 Sturmovil and Forgotten Battles are completely incompatible

What?! They are completely compatible instead! Read IL-2 as FB 0.9 if you like, and as for any further version of FB, previous versions' content will still work. In fact, FB was born to be IL-2's expansion pack, and contains everything that was in IL-2, but missions and campaigns (that can be ported and work flawlessly).

Taylortony
04-05-2006, 04:07 PM
yes, but as said they are incompatible which is what was said at the time by Oleg........... As in you cannot upgrade IL2 by adding FB to it. it is a standalone from it and therefore incompatible...

I know all about it being originally a megga patch etc etc, but that went out the window when it grew so large....was here at the time too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif had the game on the second day of release in the UK (original IL2).... Damn a day late http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif and was online with it in the first week http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

In fact never actually flown any of them since offline.. no campaigns etc... just online http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The original had some excellent flight models before they were f'd up by proxy........ the sound was a heck of a lot better too the 109 and 190 especially...heck you could hear the supercharger whine, but that went out the proverbial window in the search for greater speed online.......... well thats my theory

AVG_WarHawk
04-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Give your original version of IL-2 Sturmovik to your 10 yr.old nephew, nuff said.

slipBall
04-05-2006, 05:00 PM
I still fly, and enjoy the original. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

horseback
04-05-2006, 06:49 PM
I still have it on my hard drive, although it's rarely played these days. The FMs are a bit raw, the video is a bit two dimensional and the sound is pretty good.

However, I did copy the single and campaign missions from the original to Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters. They have been extremely useful to me as a means of judging the new patches, at least as far as the German and Soviet fighters are concerned.

If you've installed all the patches to Il-2, there's a set of 5 missions each for the Ju-87 and the Yak-9, as well as the baseline mini campaigns for the Il-2, 109G-6, Yak-1b, FW 190A-4 and FW 190A-5. I recommend them all. They translate very well to FB/PF.

cheers

horseback

Daytraders
04-05-2006, 08:28 PM
thx guys for the replys i think i will install just for the new missions and campaigns, that if i am correct are not in FB AEP PF install correct ?, and thx

DjTeD
04-05-2006, 09:54 PM
On some aspects, especially sounds, I prefer the original IL2 much more...

Try to fly the I-16 in it, for example... you will have the impression to have your hair in the air !!!

tagTaken2
04-06-2006, 02:03 AM
If it supported trackIr, I'd still be flying Il-2 (using the TIR mousemove option works, but not so good).

Only other real issue is the 2cm cannon in blue planes, it's underwhelming.

As they say, just copy and paste the offline missions from Il-2 into FBetc.

Tully__
04-06-2006, 05:06 AM
The flight model in the original is ..... different....

That being said, it's worth installing it and copying (or copying from the CD) the original static campaigns, there're some good missions in there. Whether you choose to play them in the original or copy them to a later version for play is up to you.

Aeronautico
04-06-2006, 09:13 AM
i think i will install just for the new missions and campaigns

No need to do that: you can just copy them from the CD.
Actually, original IL-2 can be run straight from the CD, no need to install it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Daytraders
04-06-2006, 12:15 PM
thx i will copy from cd just the offline campaigns, and thx again guys

WTE_Galway
04-06-2006, 05:52 PM
the flight model was much harder to get the hang of (and hence more fun) .. everything fly's like a noob plane now compared to the original, the P39 spun if you looked at it and getting a 109 off the ground, even with no load and minimal fuel, was a feat in itself and the subject of long forum discussions

and for some reason the sound was much better .. the db engines growled and you felt them through the pit of your stomach

but otherwise .. the newer versions are far far better

so yeah .. just copy the missing missions and you will be fine

mortoma
04-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
the flight model was much harder to get the hang of (and hence more fun) .. everything fly's like a noob plane now compared to the original, the P39 spun if you looked at it and getting a 109 off the ground, even with no load and minimal fuel, was a feat in itself and the subject of long forum discussions

and for some reason the sound was much better .. the db engines growled and you felt them through the pit of your stomach

but otherwise .. the newer versions are far far better

so yeah .. just copy the missing missions and you will be fine Harder FMs don't necessarily mean accurate FMs. Some ego manaic flight simhead jocks have always been around and always try to convince everybody that planes that are hard to fly are more realistic. Not saying you are one of those people, by the way Galway. But there is some truth to that as far as some aircraft are concerned. For example the real life P-40 and Bf-109s were no doubt harder to fly than what we have represented in this sim. And as a matter of fact, the Hurricane, according to many sources is a true bear to fly, a total polar opposite of what we have in game!!
The Hurri we know is good only for introducing noobs to the sim!! But this is the exception rather than the rule. And in the case of the old FM of the original IL2, the reasons some of the aircraft were hard to fly was not the same reasons the real birds were hard to fly. For example, the difficulty in take offs one experienced with the old 109 FM was due to it being a dog and the wings not having enough lift in them. The real thing was hard to take off because of the torque swing, the poor view and narrow undercarriage.

So in all fairness, I must dismiss the old FMs as total junk. They just weren't right, they were hard to fly but not right. Many planes exhibited the same difficult in take off phase due to poor lift simulation of the lifting surfaces, especially the P-39 and Mig-3. The old FM of the FW-190s was just pure insnaity it was so poor. And in all ways I might add, not just take off.

I just don't think more difficult is better, not if it's inaccurate difficulty. Yes, our planes are easier overall to fly now but a tad more accurate in important areas like lifting force and such.

WTE_Galway
04-06-2006, 07:00 PM
I wasnt claiming they were more historically accurate .. just more challenging. Some aircraft in the original IL2 were so dangerous to fly no-one in real life would have survived training on them.

In some ways a more historically accurate sim may even make things easier. For example modelling ground effect with low wing planes would make landing easier.

That said .. i had the opportunity to look over a seafury (typhoon on steroids) the other day and whilst i am happy to jump in a Tempest or Typhoon in a sim and go crazy, i would not even consider a simple circuit in that monster in real life