PDA

View Full Version : Low FPS makes game almost unplayable

kzrsoze10
03-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Just purchased the Digital Deluxe Edition off of Impulse recently but have been having major issues with playing the game. In Rome with Ezio idle I get maybe 25 fps, when free-running it drops to 15 and when in crowds or fighting enemies it can drop to 10 or lower making it really unplayable.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do with the graphics settings to try to improve the fps, and what order I should try things? I have messed around a bit but don't see much improvement.

Specs are:
On a Dell XPS Laptop
CPU: i7 820 Quad Core @ 1.73 GHz (3+ GHz in TURBO I think)
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670
RAM: 8.00 GB

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly helpful, I am a big fan or the series and would really like to be able to play this game.

ranarr
03-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Those specs are not specs of a gaming computer, you need to upgrade. The problem is your computer.

kzrsoze10
03-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Upgrade what specifically? The computer is fairly new, and I thought the i7 Quad Core when overclocked would be sufficient processing power. The GPU is also sufficient I believe, at least I have seen other posts of people with it on Yahoo Answers who achieved adequate FPS, albeit on medium settings. And the RAM seems plenty. Please elaborate if you can and thank you for your help.

kylebisme
03-30-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't know much about laptops, but if your i7 is like the desktop models, you aren't getting anywhere near 3 GHz in stuff with heavy multithreading, so that might be the issue. Regardless, what kind of framerate do you get when turn everything all the way down? I'd try that first and then see what doesn't hurt to turn up from there.

ranarr
03-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by kzrsoze10:
Upgrade what specifically? The computer is fairly new, and I thought the i7 Quad Core when overclocked would be sufficient processing power. The GPU is also sufficient I believe, at least I have seen other posts of people with it on Yahoo Answers who achieved adequate FPS, albeit on medium settings. And the RAM seems plenty. Please elaborate if you can and thank you for your help.

Honestly, the problem is that it is a laptop, not a gaming computer. You talk about the i7 being sufficient and it totally would be, if it was the desktop version.. For laptops it is crappy. Same with the GPU, it's a laptop version(***).. Even the desktop version of the 4670 is very very outdated and would probably struggle. And as far as ram goes, that is completely overkill and you don't need any more than 4GB DDR3. I don't want to seem harsh or anything but it really isn't a gaming machine.

kzrsoze10
03-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Still getting about 15ish at all low settings, weird that nothing has improved, was still running at 1920x1080 res though, I'll tone that down next.

Blackbirdx52
08-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Just purchased the Digital Deluxe Edition off of Impulse recently but have been having major issues with playing the game. In Rome with Ezio idle I get maybe 25 fps, when free-running it drops to 15 and when in crowds or fighting enemies it can drop to 10 or lower making it really unplayable.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do with the graphics settings to try to improve the fps, and what order I should try things? I have messed around a bit but don't see much improvement.

Specs are:
On a Dell XPS Laptop
CPU: i7 820 Quad Core @ 1.73 GHz (3+ GHz in TURBO I think)
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670
RAM: 8.00 GB

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly helpful, I am a big fan or the series and would really like to be able to play this game.

looks like the problem is at the VGA
btw i only have HD 4200 is there way to boost the FPS
i only got @ 14 - 24 fps at low setting

Lignjoslav
08-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Your GPU isn't that great. Assuming the game to be AC:B, I know that with the desktop Radeon 4670 it's just barely playable @ 1920*1080. The mobile is a tad slower so there you go. Y probably need to adjust the resolution and also make sure that any anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering that you may have activated, either in game or in CCC, are switched off.

If changing graphics options doesn't affect the gameplay, then it's the CPU. The power of the i7 you've got is mostly wasted in games. It's got more threads than games (especially AC series) can utilize and fairly low clockspeed of just 1.73GHz. Still, turbo should fix that, so if the problems persist try to check if it's working.

Mr_Shade
08-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Laptop versions of cards are not supported - this should have been stated on the game's product page.

This means they may work - however due to differences in the way they are designed - they do not always offer the same performance as the desktop version of the same card.

You can try contacting support - however they may not be able to offer much help, due to the card not being supported by the game - and since I'm assuming it's a laptop - you can't really upgrade them :(

Links to support are in my signature though - see what they suggest.

Lignjoslav
08-08-2012, 01:30 PM
I just realized that this thread had been dead for over a year before Blackbird replied today. :nonchalance: Mods should lock it.

EDIT: Oh, I seem to not be 100% awake.
@Blackbird: I can't give you a better reply than to try reducing the resolution as much as possible if you haven't done so already. But with only 40 shaders at 500MHz, it's going to be tough. Your PC, is it a laptop or a desktop? If it's a desktop, you could get a discrete card fairly cheaply that would do the job.