PDA

View Full Version : I would like to offer these suggestions

VFS-22_SPaRX
02-12-2006, 01:35 PM
1. When posting any FM testing, please include a NTRK of your test in the post. It's hard to take a test seriously when you post information with nothing backing it up. We have no idea of the circumstances of your test and if the test was carried out as you state in your post. FM testing includes: Climb Rates, Speed Tests, Turn rates, etc.

2. When posting claims about DM testing or the effectiveness of MG's, Cannons, Bombs, or Rockets, AGAIN, please post a track to support your claim.

3. When posting things such as, "I can run down xxx plane in xxx plane", or "xxx plane always out climbs me in xxx plane" and so on, AGAIN post a track supporting your claim.

I think you are getting the jist of this post by now. TRACKS TRACK TRACKS. Making a statement means nothing if you do not backup your claim.

Now I realize that most of the people that frequent this board do not have access to a hosting solution to put these tracks on. Well, in the WarClouds forums, we have a nifty little feature that allows you to attach files for download to your post. Its simple and easy. Feel free to upload your tracks there and link them in your post here. www.war-clouds.com/forums (http://www.war-clouds.com/forums) . There is a forum section called "Dinner and a Movie" with a Track Section under it.

If you are an avid IL2 tester, contact me and we can work out a hosting solution for your tests. Pro Bono of course.

Lastly, I suggest that we come up with some standardized tests when it comes to FM testing. This was EVERYONE is testing in the same fashion each part of the FM. The smallest difference between two testing procedures can produce astoundingly different results. I was thinking that we could do something along the lines of creating a Map that has Testing ranges on it so that EVERYONE is doing the same test. We can use the new "lights" that Oleg put in one of the patches to do this. We can use them to create a "race Track in the Sky". For instance:

Dive speed test : Create a String of lights that start out level at 3000 meters and run level for 2 KM. Then the string of lights will Dive to the deck at a 45 degree angle to 500 meters. The will level out at 500 meters for 3-5 KM then the lights will climb back to 3000 meters and again run level for 2 km.

To do this test, you would enter the course at a predetermined speed, say 350kph IAS and then just follow the lights. Same test for each plane. Comments?

What I am looking for here is 2 things.

1. Standardization of testing.
2. Proof/Validation of claimed performance

horseback
02-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Sounds like a great idea.

However, I was looking for those "lights" in the FMB just last night, and couldn't find them under 'Objects', which is where I thought they would be. We could use a short tutorial on where they are, their placement and use in the Full Mission Builder.

Better yet, how about a general purpose downloadable Mission, with a standard course; the user can then edit it to change the Player's aircraft to the desired model and share the tracks made with it. I used a single setup in FMB to create a short hedge-hopping course to help me compare handling on something like 15 different aircraft, editing the 'base' FMB file to create the others.

Unfortunately, I made a grievous spelling error, which my 12 year old son caught AFTER I completed making all 15 missions. Took me the better part of an hour to fix them all...

cheers

horseback

OldMan____
02-12-2006, 05:58 PM
But is not everybody that has hosting space to tracks.

And when you make lest say speed tests for 20 planes. This may take quite some space. And moving them all time may be boring. I think trcaks are only neeed if the result is something unexpected or is used to support any request.

VFS-22_SPaRX
02-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by OldMan____:
But is not everybody that has hosting space to tracks.

And when you make lest say speed tests for 20 planes. This may take quite some space. And moving them all time may be boring. I think trcaks are only neeed if the result is something unexpected or is used to support any request.

Oldman,

I already stated where people can get these tracks hosted. If you re-read my orginal post, you will see that they can upload them to our forums for them to be hosted. Then all they need to do is post a link to their thread. WaLLA, track hosted.

As for it being boring and taking up space. I am not worried bout space on my server. There is plenty of it there.

And i have to disagree about not needing to validate your test. You can tell me you got any results you want. But I am not going to believe you till you show me proof.

SeaFireLIV
02-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Wise, Sparx, but... um, er... not everyone`s going to want to know...

VFS-22_SPaRX
02-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Wise, Sparx, but... um, er... not everyone`s going to want to know...

Not going to know what SeaFire, that perhaps there is more balance in the sides then they want to believe?

LEXX_Luthor
02-12-2006, 07:09 PM
You can create test missions that start out already in a nose down dive with proper use of FMB.

Aircraft needs two (2) waypoints.

The second waypoint (waypoint "1") is set to 50m altitude and is placed on the center of a concrete airfield which are visible from 30km distance.

The first waypoint (waypoint "0") is placed a distance away from the airfield and at an altitude that results in the desired nose down angle (you need your Trigonometry here) -- the plane starts the mission already nose down, pointing at the concrete airfield. You maintain dive angle by keeping the airfield center in the gunsight reticle.

You have three variables to create the first starting waypoint -- horizontal distance from airfield, waypoint altitude, and dive angle. Most likely, you know the dive angle and starting altitude, so you place the horizontal distance accordingly.

...and set your starting speed in FMB. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif