PDA

View Full Version : Ghost ships

anyka230
12-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Hi Forum members, a question about ships that appear on the Nav. map but are not there. I am experiencing frequent instances of this problem. running GWX, mods are 16 km circle and better ship explosions only, SH3. No matter where I go in the Atlantic these ship markings appear as squares on the F5 map and F6 maps as lines are there at 25 KM setting and are gone at 13 KM and also when I get to their position. I had been only 25 KM away from the markers. Any help you can provide? I am trying to enjoy the game but this is not correct. Regards Peter

Kaleun1961
12-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Those are contact reports of a ship's current location. You must take into account that by the time you arrive at that spot they will have moved on. In order to conduct a successful interception you must calculate or estimate an interception course. There's a current thread discussing this, here:

Interception (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/7561071998)

salty_monkey
12-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Assumed this was going to be about a proper ghost ship! I have seen a few from time to time, detected on hydrophone and so on, but they just sit there and do not move, surface and come in alongside and nothing, not a shot fired, no movement. Sunk a few but never get any rep for it.

Kaleun1961
12-20-2010, 04:21 PM
There is supposed to be the "Flying Dutchman" as an Easter egg in GWX Gold, but I've never seen it. I'm still looking for the stork that delivered my little brother.

Kielhauler2010
12-20-2010, 04:28 PM
@ Kaleun1961,

I think you can rest easy about that stork. My flak gunner got it last Tuesday.

Max_Schnell
12-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Ahem....

Speaking of blasting the stork with your AA gun, recently, last night in fact, I was leaving port and happened to have countless albatros flying around my boat. I manned the guns just to see if I could take a couple out.

I opened up and let them have it. I'm sure that I was hitting them but they would not drop, I also tried to notice if they changed course or were affected at all. I don't think so.

Are my observations correct? It is no big deal, I was just looking for a bit of entertainment.

Also, I haven't fired at an iceberg yet. I had the chance recently, but I really need the torp for some traffic.

Schnell.

Kaleun1961
12-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Kielhauler: Good one! Give that gunner an Iron Cross.

Max: It's sailor lore that it is bad luck to harm an albatross. I would not be surprised if you accidentally torpedo a hospital ship on your next patrol and get cashiered by the Big Lion himself. Better to shoot those nasty shytehawks, aka gulls.

Max_Schnell
12-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Ooops, Thank You.

That's good to know, now I must ask the god's forgiveness.

I hope I have not doomed my crew and my boat. Also, I presume it was an albatros, I can't be sure. There I've broken another rule of safe gun handling, by not being sure of my target. For Shame http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

I can say that is was the birds that circle your boat when you are near land. They also give up your position when you are in the shallows, near land, sneaking through the channel at periscope depth. I guess they know or see you under water, then they circle overhead. Perhaps I have "stupid luck" and they were gulls, regardless, they are bullet proof.

Thanks again for the info. I am superstitious when it comes to lore as this and I never wish to offend the gods. Yet another argument for the Mrs. to stay off my boat and leave me alone during patrol.

Schnell

salty_monkey
12-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Do not worry too much about killing albatros, the myth has grown considerably after the publication of The Ancient Mariner by Coleridge, where a seaman is punished for killing an albatros by having the bird strung around his neck which has spawned the saying 'an albatross around their neck' to mean someone having bad luck etc.

The facts however are quite different, if your crew run out of food or you fed up with eating the same dried biscuits for months on end, then albatross makes a good alternative food source. Sailors have been killing and eating Albatros for thousands of years.

HW3
12-21-2010, 05:23 PM
[UnitClass]
ClassName=Frigate
UnitType=11
AppearanceDate=19410505
DisappearanceDate=21001231
DisplayName=Unidentified ship

[Texture 1]
TextureName=data/Sea/FD/FD_T01.tga
LightmapTextureName=data/Sea/FD/FD_O01.tga
NormalmapTextureName=data/Sea/FD/FD_N01.tga
StartDate=19410505
EndDate=21001231
Frequency=1

[Unit 1]
Name=The Flying Dutchman
DOC=19410505
DOD=21001231

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kaleun1961
12-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I think those are gulls you were firing at. And, yes, I have also noticed that they like to hover over your boat as you navigate shallows. One more reason to nail them, aside from them always pooping on your boat right after you have finished washing and waxing it.

Salty Monkey, thanks for that item. I had only heard that killing an albatross was bad luck, but had no idea of the origin of that taboo.

salty_monkey
12-21-2010, 07:57 PM
I live in Portsmouth UK, there has long been a story that a ghost ship of HMS Eurydice which sank in storm, has been seen sailing around the waters off the Isle of Wight. I just remembered a story from the 90s regarding this ship, from a creditable witness, Prince Edward.

The young Prince was filming an episode for a TV series on the Isle Of Wight, he was talking about the ghost ship, when someone said "oh like that ship out there", everyone looked and saw quite clearly a 3 mast ship, they decide to wait until ship got nearer then record it in background etc. However suddenly it just disappeared. Further more when going back to look at the film they had of it, the tape jammed in machine

Anyway here is article from The Mirror
Edward, son of Britain's monarch, believes he has seen a ghost ship.

The 34-year-old told yesterday [Oct 16] how he spotted the phantom galleon while filming the second of his Crown and Country TV series on the Isle of Wight. Edward was telling the story of HMS Eurydice, a 26-gun frigate which capsized and sank in Sandown Bay during a blizzard in 1878.

He said: "We were talking about a ghost ship on the Isle of Wight and how we could illustrate this three-masted schooner that just disappears. Suddenly someone said 'Look, there's one now,' and sure enough out to sea there was a three-masted schooner. It was not arranged by us. It simply appeared.

"Someone said 'We'll wait until it gets a little closer to the shoreline' and then come the moment, someone else said 'Where's it gone? ' We looked and it had disappeared."

The prince added: "I am quite convinced as far as ghosts are concerned that there are too many stories, coincidences, occurrences and strange happenings. There is something definitely out there, but what it is I don't really know.

"I cannot believe it is just some people's imagination. There is more in it than that. I have never met a ghost, but I have always wanted to meet a ghost. There is only one way to find out whether they really do exist."

Edward's film crew captured the ghost ship on video after the sighting last May. And in another strange twist, the tape jammed in the machine when they went to view it. The programme's director, Robin Bextor, said last night: "Edward was doing a piece to camera near Chine, on the Isle of Wight, when someone spotted this ship.

"We filmed it for a while, then decided to wait so we would catch it sailing off into the horizon. We assumed it was a training vessel. Like the rest of us, Edward was pleased at our stroke of luck at seeing it because it saved us time and money getting footage of something similar. We were packing up the cameras and took our eyes off it for a few minutes, but when we went to film it again, it had gone."

Edward spoke of the sighting during a briefing in Portsmouth yesterday about the new ITV series. The ghost ship will be seen in the October 27 programme.

The sinking of the Eurydice, with the loss of more than 300 lives, was seen by the young Winston Churchill, who was visiting the Isle of Wight with his nurse. They watched from a clifftop as the ship capsized. There have been several other sightings of a three-masted vessel off the Isle of Wight where many ships have gone down. Retired teacher Robin Ford, 57, from Ventnor, spotted the eerie form of a galleon during a beach barbecue with friends. He said: "It moved slowly towards the shore, then it just seemed to up-end and slipped silently out of view."

Last night, sailing ship enthusiasts added to the mystery by saying they knew of no vessel in the area at the time Edward saw the ghost ship.

Hilary Painter, of the Sail Training Association at Portsmouth, said: "We have two training ships that sound like that, but on that particular week they were both away."

Becky Lacey, of the Jubilee Sailing Trust at Southampton said: "We have a three-masted square rigger called the Lord Nelson, but she was in Newcastle that week."

Barbara Hoyle, of the Sea Cadet Corps at Gosport, added: "We have the Royalist, which is a two-masted square rig brig, but she was not at sea that week."

Kielhauler2010
12-22-2010, 07:09 AM
...aside from them always pooping on your boat right after you have finished washing and waxing it.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

anyka230
12-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Thank you Kaleun 1961. The Geometry lesson helped. I am about to intercept a large convoy which was 96 KM away on a NE heading. Regards and Merry Christmas. Peter