PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft polygons

PG_Raptor
03-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Hey everyone. Quick little question here. I love PF, but if there's one thing that ruins the immersion, it's sitting in the corsair, and seeing four polygons make up the nose (if need be, I can get a screenshot to show what I mean). They come to sharp points, while the nose should be nice and rounded. Is there anyway to set the polygon counts on the planes to a higher level?

PG_Raptor
03-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Case in point:

http://www.pacific-fighters.com/ss/F4U-1A_02.jpg

Also on the F4F:

http://www.pacific-fighters.com/ss/F4F_up2.jpg

Tully__
03-04-2005, 07:02 PM
For performance reasons, the poly count in the aircraft was strictly limited by the developers. IIRC, the limit for single engine aircraft is <3000. As that's the actual model count, there's no way to set it higher.

The upcoming BoB sim that is next on the release list from 1C:Maddox will have much higher limits and I expect the aircraft in that sim will look significantly better as a result.

Stiglr
03-04-2005, 09:01 PM
You really need to worry about significant things, like how most planes don't bleed energy the way they should, or that certain 20mm guns don't do damage as they should, not eye candy stuff like whether a nose is rounded or slightly pointed.

Jeez.

Trink_Afri-Cola
03-05-2005, 04:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
You really need to worry about _significant_ things, like how most planes don't bleed energy the way they should, or that certain 20mm guns don't do damage as they should, not eye candy stuff like whether a nose is rounded or slightly pointed.

Jeez. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey man, some people are all about the look, nothing wrong with that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Stiglr
03-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Everything's wrong with that, if you ask me.

The total bowing down to eye candy is why this sim isn't much, much better than it is already.

PG_Raptor
03-05-2005, 08:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
You really need to worry about _significant_ things, like how most planes don't bleed energy the way they should, or that certain 20mm guns don't do damage as they should, not eye candy stuff like whether a nose is rounded or slightly pointed.

Jeez. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to troll the boards, thank you.

Thank you Tully_, for your help.

Brain32
03-06-2005, 03:57 AM
I'm glad PF has limited poly count because if there is one thing that could totaly kill the immersion it's slide show.

mareis1977
03-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Personally, I'd like the game to run a bit smoother, and wish they'd use less polys for the cockpit view...

BUT...

Adding another 10 polys or so around an edge that's always right in front of you and taking them out somewhere else if needed certainly wouldn't kill performance on any system.

Low-poly modelling isn't just about using as few polys as possible. It's about knowing where to put detail, and where to take it out.

OldPepper
03-06-2005, 11:42 AM
The Spit IX also has an ugly nose view. The Spit V doesn't have the same issue. FWIW.