PDA

View Full Version : Advice Requested : Trim and Joystick Sensitivity

mungee
06-24-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm really enjoying the challenge of mastering the new FM but would be grateful if someone could provide me with some advice re trim and j/stick sensitivity - my take-off's are very "wobbly" and "tail-swinging".

Firstly I have an old Microsoft Sidewinder FF joystick which uses a rotating wheel as the throttle. The rudder trim control is currently mapped to the Ctrl Z and Ctrl X keys - I believe that rudder is the most important control to "trim" on take-off? My question is - how to I know to what extent I am trimming the rudder? With the aircraft pulling to the left I presumably must trim with the right rudder? - ie Ctrl X - but how many times must I depress these two keys or for how long must I do so?

Re the joystick sensitivity, it seems that most users are eliminating the dead-zone and boosting up the filtering -(after toning down the individual sliders (10) for each of the 3 "movements").

Would be grateful to receive some advice on these points.

Many thanks.

Tully__
06-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Click the "Joysticks..." link under my signature picture and have a read, that may help with the sensitivity question.

horseback
06-25-2005, 11:28 AM
My advice is to get rudder pedals and reassign your trim keys to either single keys (how about the arrow keys-you've got a joystick to control your plane) or joystick buttons.

As for tapping the keys, the problem sometimes becomes that how long the key is held down will determine how much trim is added, and the amount of trim needed is unique to each aircraft. On the LW fighters, there is no rudder trim-you have to apply the necessary compensating rudder- a real pain with a twist rudder.

I've found that accuracy improved for me when I set my sensitivities a bit lower in-game than I had for 3.04, especially for the Yaw, but that's an individual thing again (I have pedals). The real things were described as 'rudder hungry' by the pilots who flew them (Eric Brown did a famous comparison to an earlier version of Forgotten Battles to the WWII aircraft he had flown), so with the higher sensitivity settings many of us have favored, a little rudder input gets a lot more response than the actual plane gave you.

cheers

horseback

mllaneza
06-26-2005, 08:34 AM
You may also want to turn up the filtering in your Input controls. I had to go to 40% on roll and 20% on pitch to keep the plane from handling like a ferret on methamphetamines.

Saved me from buying a new joystick.

JadehawkII
06-26-2005, 09:16 AM
I had to go to 40% on roll and 20% on pitch to keep the plane from handling like a ferret on methamphetamines.

Saved me from buying a new joystick.[/QUOTE]

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif