PDA

View Full Version : SLI + WATER = 3 Is this issue GOING TO BE SOLVED??

madgett
05-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Ok, it's already May, SLI hit big 5 months ago and still to this date PF cannot have SLI + Water = 3 running in any decent condition. In fact, it runs worse in SLI then it does with 1 CARD!! <- Yeah makes no sense. Has anybody heard of a fix, NONE of Nvidia's newest drivers are working with SLI and Water = 3.

This problem needs to be fixed.

madgett
05-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Ok, it's already May, SLI hit big 5 months ago and still to this date PF cannot have SLI + Water = 3 running in any decent condition. In fact, it runs worse in SLI then it does with 1 CARD!! &lt;- Yeah makes no sense. Has anybody heard of a fix, NONE of Nvidia's newest drivers are working with SLI and Water = 3.

This problem needs to be fixed.

JunkoIfurita
05-12-2005, 12:41 AM
Perhaps you'd better check your own configuration before accusing the dev teams, mate.

There are plenty of people running SLI on a pair of 6800s and getting 30+ minimum frame rates with water=3 and no errors or problems.

Since the standard profile that came with NVidia driver 71.84 for PF, no-one has had much trouble setting it up, either.

The only reason EVERYONE isn't doing it is the prohibitive cost.

----

Blackdog5555
05-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Also, I've read per Toms Hardware that 6800GTs and SLI are NOT getting the results that SLI promised. 6600s do ok/better. I dont know if its drivers or MBs or ??. Im waiting till the kinks are straightened out in the hardware and drivers.

Scen
05-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Remember this is the first rev for Nvidia doing SLI and while I think their solution is pretty good the PS 3.0 stuff isn't going to perform well.

Remember first versions of everything don't always do well with new tech like PS 3.0 and or SLI.

Next rev will be a different story I'm sure. I think this time around Nvidia wanted to be first with SLI tech.

Scendore

theknightsofni
05-12-2005, 11:27 AM
im just curious, could you run both a 6600 and 6800 in sli in the same rig?

smatchimo
05-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Iwas told the cards have to be the exact same, but I haven't researched it myself yet.

JunkoIfurita
05-12-2005, 04:40 PM
I believe that the 6800GTs perform pretty below standard across the board.

The 6800 Ultras - now that's a different story. Dual SLI 6800 Ultras will give you adequate water=3 performance.

What I'd REALLY like to know if a single 6800Ultra PCI-express can handle it. 8x AGP, even in SLI is still a fairly small data passageway in comparison to the speed of the GPU's core clock. PCI-express SHOULD be able to handle it admirably without bottlenecks. Is anyone running it?

----

jagdmailer
05-12-2005, 04:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:

The 6800 Ultras - now that's a different story. Dual SLI 6800 Ultras will give you adequate water=3 performance.

What I'd REALLY like to know if a single 6800Ultra PCI-express can handle it. 8x AGP, even in SLI is still a fairly small data passageway in comparison to the speed of the GPU's core clock. PCI-express SHOULD be able to handle it admirably without bottlenecks. Is anyone running it?

---- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not think you can get SLI in AGP.....

Jagd

Loki-PF
05-12-2005, 04:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:

---- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JunkoIfurita:

SLI is a product of PCI-Express. (unless you want ot go wayyyyyyy back to the Voodoo days!)

The AGP spec does not provide for there being more than one slot.

Hunter82
05-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Cards must be EXACTLY the same

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smatchimo:
Iwas told the cards have to be the exact same, but I haven't researched it myself yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stansdds
05-13-2005, 04:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What I'd REALLY like to know if a single 6800Ultra PCI-express can handle it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it can, just not very well at times. My AMD Athlon64 3500+ with 2GB RAM and an eVGA NV6800 Ultra PCIe will run with water = 3, but it does drop frame rates, often well down into the single digits when the action is heavy. So yes, a single card can run water = 3, but it is limited. A faster CPU might work better.

Capt.LoneRanger
05-13-2005, 04:30 AM
nVidias 6800GT/U are based on the normal AGP-modell. They can only marginally benefit from SLI technology, if at all.

People also got to see, that PCIe-gfx-cards only have an advantage over AGP, if they handle loads of 2048x2048 textures minimum, on high resolution settings (1600x1200x32bit and higher) and with 16x AA & AF. Only if you meet those values and got a CPU working with 2500Mhz,DDR3 Ram, and 512MB gfx-memory+ you can benefit from PCIe at all. Everything else lowers the bandwith neccessary for the interface.
Considering the graphics in IL2, without AA&AF even AGPx4 has enough bandwith to handle IL2 with ease (infact faster than AGPx8 on some machines)

But its nice of you, to support the computer industry and the advertisement branch. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Fast memory is way more important for IL2 than the graphics card. And finally, it is not an SLI-problem. It depends on what driver you use. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif
Some of the newer drivers don't handle the water correctly.

Slammin_
05-13-2005, 07:44 AM

---- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny. Most 6800GT's easily overclock to Ultra speeds. Mine clocks a little higher than stock Ultra, but at the same clock as an Ultra, my card is faster due to the tighter ram timings in the GT bios.

madgett
05-19-2005, 03:18 AM
Perhaps you'd better check your own configuration before accusing the dev teams, mate.

There are plenty of people running SLI on a pair of 6800s and getting 30+ minimum frame rates with water=3 and no errors or problems.

Since the standard profile that came with NVidia driver 71.84 for PF, no-one has had much trouble setting it up, either.

The only reason EVERYONE isn't doing it is the prohibitive cost.

---- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you don't understand, there is no working SLI in SFR mode (which is all that matters) the screen is split with half white or green sparkly water only when water = 3. No one is running proper SLI with water = 3 AFR mode gives the same results as 1 6800 GT and the green water on half the screen is an issue with the game/Nvidia drivers. I've done extensive research even with the guys at SIMHQ...there is still yet to be a solution with the 6800s...

BM357_Hbent
05-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Your problem is that you have too much money. Send some to me.