PDA

View Full Version : Control Stick Question?

gpang788
09-25-2006, 06:57 AM
On a real airplane, e.g. any warbird, does the control stick have a center detent?

Cos I have seen inflight videos (modern aerobatic aircraft e.g.) where the control sticks dont seem to have it. The pilots just seem to be able to move the sticks around smoothly, without any jerky movement as it passes thru centre.

This has led me to believe that there really isnt any on real aircraft. Is that true?

If so, anybody here knows how to eliminate the detent on their joysticks?

Cos I believe that by eliminating the detent, it just makes the controls far more accurate, precise & smooth..

What are your thoughts on this?...

ruxtmp
09-25-2006, 07:32 AM
No aircraft I have ever flown has had a control with a center detent (Gliders & small single engine props). Aerodynamic forces and control surface balancing tend to keep the stick near the center position in these aircraft. I have never used a force feedback stick but I would fathom a guess that these simulate a real control stick much better then a spring centered unit. Users of force feedback correct me if I'm wrong.

p-11.cAce
09-25-2006, 07:50 AM
Like Ruxtmp all my rl hours are in light aircraft and gliders and if I felt any "detent" while checking the controls I would not fly it! In rl though the stick will return to "center" (or at least where it is trimmed) through the action of airflow over the control surfaces. I don't fly ffb either and one of the problems I encounter is the lack of stick pressure change with airspeed - in rl once you get a plane dialed in you can pretty well tell your airspeed by the weight of the controls...the stiffer the stick the faster you are going and vice versa.

rnzoli
09-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Users of force feedback correct me if I'm wrong.
you are right, the FFB sticks apply forces proportional to the airplane speed and control surface deflection

so you don't feel any 'bump' when crossing over neutral position, unlike for example, with MS Sidewinder Precision

gpang788
09-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Learnt something today.

Has any of you or anyone modded their sticks to remove the detent? Would like to know how to do it...

WB_Outlaw
09-25-2006, 11:34 AM
I've never owned a stick with a center detent, and I've owned lots. Sounds to me like you need a new stick, not a mod.

--Outlaw.

gpang788
09-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by WB_Outlaw:
I've never owned a stick with a center detent,

--Outlaw.

U see..I have a cougar. Owned lots of other sticks too including FFB ones but the cougar is the one that really does it for me. I really like the solid feel and precison that only the Cougar provides. Other sticks just dun feel the same.

Looked thru the Cougar mod site but seems like nothing like this has ever been done.

Anyone done any mods like this on their sticks?
Esp Cougar owners?