PDA

View Full Version : Yeah ummm... yeah need help from u guys plz :)

Snuffly
12-04-2004, 10:15 PM
I have heard of a lot of people with an "ok" computer who can run the game in perfect mode with great FPS!!!

HOW!!!!??????

Windows XP Home Edition
Intel Celeron Processor
2.20 Ghz CPU
512mb ram
256mb Nvidia geforce fx5200 PCI

I think thats "ok" but when i run it all in perfect mode i get about 5 FPS and it really sux... is there a secret to all this or something?

thx in advance

WTE_Galway
12-04-2004, 11:00 PM
anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering too high ?

LuckyBoy1
12-04-2004, 11:20 PM
I have heard of a lot of people with an "ok" computer who can run the game in perfect mode with great FPS!!!

Pray you don't get fooled again. So some fool says it's so... it doesn't make it so!

Also, your PC may be ok for other purposes, but there's reasons why people pay the money for a Pentium chip. Your CPU has 128 of cache or if it's a Celeron D, it has 256 of cache. a Pentium has 512 of cache at 2.2 GHz.

Then you don't have the majic Gig of RAM. See Luckyboy's Guide for Complete Users on how to minimize the impact on your PC from not having the 1 Gig of RAM.

On top of it all, you have the much hated nVidia 5200 card which in some ways, was actually a step down from the 4800 cards.

Extreme_One
12-05-2004, 06:44 AM
You got a FX5200 PCI too mate. I had that card but in an AGP slot and had no hope of running in excellent mode let alone perfect.

But as Luckyboy said already that's the least of your worries.
The Celeron is not a good CPU for gaming.

VW-IceFire
12-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Two major weaknesses of your computer.

1) That Celeron chip is not the fastest kid on the block. Its not going to be too different from a Pentium 4 when you are doing stuff like basic Word and Excell but when it comes to gaming the Celeron is woefully inadequate. When I sell people computers, I always say, if you play games then the Celeron is not enough. Look to spend more money.

2) The FX 5200 is generally underpowered as it is and a PCI version of it is even less powerful by the simple nature of PCI's limited bandwidth.

So you probably aren't going to be able to run the game in Perfect mode with any success. Its taken me some time to get the FPS to a reasonable 35-40fps average on my AMD 2700+ (the rough equivalent of an older 2.7Ghz or 2.8Ghz Pentium 4), 1GB RAM, Radeon 9700Pro AGP8X system.

Look to play it in Excellent mode. Turn up what other settings you can and enjoy! If you want alot more out of your gaming rig...its time to consider a very serious upgrade. Since thats not always possible...you have to make do with what you've got.

GvSAP_Wingnut
12-05-2004, 09:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
On top of it all, you have the much hated nVidia 5200 card which in some ways, was actually a step down from the 4800 cards. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can vouch for that. Bought one a while back to replace a fried Ti4600 - the 4600 had 64 ram, the 5200 had 128. It was a big step down. Took it back same day for a 5700Ultra, which is still in my son's computer.