PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Pedals, any suggestions?

Fish6891
11-23-2004, 03:53 AM
I currently use the twist on my Evo for rudder and am very comfortable with it. I have decided however to give the pedals a try, but have no idea which brand is good and which model to get. Which Brand/Model is like the Saitek Cyborg Evo of Rudder Pedals?

FRAGAL
11-23-2004, 04:36 AM
I've never seen any pedals for Logitech/Saitek apart from with a steering wheel, but they're useless as the pedals normally plug into the wheel http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif , Best bet if you can afford it is to get yourself some CH usb pedals

Fish6891
11-23-2004, 04:43 AM
CH, thats what seems to be the usual recommendation, but what model tho?

jeroen-79
11-23-2004, 05:20 AM
http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=69621
The modding instructions are for use with a Cougar.

You can look around on ebay.
Second hand Thrustmaster and CH pedals pop up there.

For "128 you get a set of simpeds, for "270 they come with toebrakes.
You would have to add shipping (from Germany) any IIRC supply is not very high.

As for racing wheel pedals, FB can use multiple controllers so you can use the pedals connected to the wheel.
The pedals must be seen as one axis though.
You can also modify them, maybe wire them to the evo in place of the twistpot.
You'll void any warranty though.

If you only want a rudder using racing pedals would be the cheapest.
They won't feel like true aircraft pedals though.
The simpeds are good.
If you want toebrakes the CH Pro would be the cheapest.

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-23-2004, 07:38 AM
CH Pro Pedals are a good value and will last you forever...or thereabouts: http://chproducts.com/retail_flash/index.html

LilHorse
11-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Yes, CH pedals. I think that for the most part there are only two models, one that is USB and one that is gameport. But other than the connection they are pretty much the same (few more programming options w/ USB like toe breaking).

I have a set of gameport CH pedals. Started using them a looooong time ago in the CFS days. I'd never use anything other than pedals for controling rudder. It's worth doing IMHO.

ednavar
11-23-2004, 09:06 AM
A bit pricely but worth every penny, the simped:

http://www.biohazcentral.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=723&Itemid=25

Zen--
11-23-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm still using my Thrustmaster Elite pedals I got 3 years ago just for IL2, but they are gameport meaning they won't be seen as a seperate controller by your OS. They need to be hooked to something like the Cougar Hotas or alternatively you can install a cheap 3 button joystick and assign rudder control to it, then set your Z axis in PF to the rudder pedals instead of the twist stick. During the time when my cougar was down, I used the cheap stick method to keep using my pedals til the cougar got fixed.

My personal experience is that stall control is slightly diminished with rudder pedals, but gunnery is improved because there is no chance of accidental twist-rudder input doing shooting and pedals are just more fun to have.

Stiglr
11-23-2004, 11:05 AM
I have understood that most people have had no problems with CH Pedals, but some have had integration and setup problems with CH Pro Pedals. They seem to be a little finicky.

For that reason alone, I'd endorse the "plain", pivot pedal CH Pedals, even though the sliding action of the Pros is more realistic feeling for piloting a plane.

BM357_Raven
11-23-2004, 11:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zen--:
I'm still using my Thrustmaster Elite pedals I got 3 years ago just for IL2, but they are gameport meaning they won't be seen as a seperate controller by your OS. They need to be hooked to something like the Cougar Hotas or alternatively you can install a cheap 3 button joystick and assign rudder control to it, then set your Z axis in PF to the rudder pedals instead of the twist stick. During the time when my cougar was down, I used the cheap stick method to keep using my pedals til the cougar got fixed.

My personal experience is that stall control is slightly diminished with rudder pedals, but gunnery is improved because there is no chance of accidental twist-rudder input doing shooting and pedals are just more fun to have. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. For me it's the exact opposite--which is easily possible since I€m sure our brains process differently, but I find that flying and stall recovery are easier and that gunnery is more of a challenge because (I believe) I am having to aim at the target with my hand and feet at the same time. Like anything you get so used to it, though, that it eventually becomes second nature.

The only problem I have had with my CH Pedals (and don't get me wrong, I love 'em) is that the wire they use to receive a signal from the toe-brakes broke. I managed to get my pedals apart and fixed the connection. Then another toe-brake wire broke and I fixed that. Getting the pedals apart is easy, but getting them back together with the little glides and springs is a real bear.

I know it happend to our XO, TinMan too, and he had to make the same fix. He must have done a better job than me, cause he hasn't had to full with them since. I don't know anyone else who has had the same problem, but the wire guage is definitely a design flaw in my oppinion. If they need that particular guage, for whatever reason, they should extend the length of wires by about 3 inches and sheath them so they dont snap.

Still, I love my CH Pro Pedals and they have lasted me about 3 years now and I have no plans to replace them..

bazzaah2
11-23-2004, 01:32 PM
CH - years of trouble free service now.

x6BL_Brando
11-23-2004, 02:21 PM
@ Raven,
Yeah, I had exactly the same problem with my CH Pro pedals, that da**ed toe brake wire! I feel a bit dumb in that I never posted that to CH, to let 'em know that it's a weak point. Guess I'll go do that. Like you, I fixed it myself an' it was a pig to do the reassembly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif If I lived in the US I'd probably have sent it back to the factory - but I couldn't stand the idea of freighting 'em across the Pond.

BaldieJr
11-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Build 'em! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WTE_Galway
11-23-2004, 05:31 PM
i use CH PRO USB pedals and under XP they worked fine for me first go.

the only problem i ever had was one of the fine wires to the right brake pedal snapped after long term use and i lost use of that brake until i had time to solder it back up

IL2 only supports one brake axis so you can only map one pedal (differential braking is done in the game by rudder position) but even with a single pedal mapped proportional control of brake force is a major improvement over tapping the keyboard

TX-EcoDragon
11-23-2004, 07:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BM357_Raven:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zen--:

My personal experience is that stall control is slightly diminished with rudder pedals, but gunnery is improved because there is no chance of accidental twist-rudder input doing shooting and pedals are just more fun to have. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. For me it's the exact opposite--which is easily possible since I€m sure our brains process differently, but I find that flying and stall recovery are easier and that gunnery is more of a challenge because (I believe) I am having to aim at the target with my hand and feet at the same time. Like anything you get so used to it, though, that it eventually becomes second nature.

The only problem I have had with my CH Pedals (and don't get me wrong, I love 'em) is that the wire they use to receive a signal from the toe-brakes broke. I managed to get my pedals apart and fixed the connection. Then another toe-brake wire broke and I fixed that. Getting the pedals apart is easy, but getting them back together with the little glides and springs is a real bear.

I know it happend to our XO, TinMan too, and he had to make the same fix. He must have done a better job than me, cause he hasn't had to full with them since. I don't know anyone else who has had the same problem, but the wire guage is definitely a design flaw in my oppinion. If they need that particular guage, for whatever reason, they should extend the length of wires by about 3 inches and sheath them so they dont snap.

Still, I love my CH Pro Pedals and they have lasted me about 3 years now and I have no plans to replace them.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the left toe brake wire break and rebuilt it, I was not impressed with the wire, as it is about as thick as a strand of hair. Not wanting to mod anything with the right wire I left that alone, then it broke soon after as well even though I wasnt actually using the right half for anything. I would say though that if this wire were replaced that you would not find a better set out there for the price. The only mass produced pedals I have used that are better are the PFC Cirrus set, as they have much better feel, and more realistic ergonomics. . . but for $300.00 USD more they sure better!!

I would get the CH ProPedals USB.

WTE_Galway
11-23-2004, 07:27 PM
the brake wire snagging and snapping is a known issue with CH-Pro pedals though its possible the current crop of pedals has had the problem fixed

its an easier home fix or $10 soldering job at an electrical repair shop so it is not a big issue .. just annoying

Tully__
11-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Rudder pedals are not made by many manufacturers. Without going to elitist special build stuff, you're pretty much limited to Simped or CH Products. If you're outside of Europe, Simped are almost impossible to find unless you order direct.

Both have very good reputations, so whichever appeals to you more.

Another option if budget is a concern is to look for a set of the Thrustmaster pedals on the auction sites. They're no longer made so it's 2nd hand or not at all.

And finally, if you're up to a bit of electronic surgery you could make a set and wire them in place of the twist rudder pot in your current stick.

myrstdr
11-24-2004, 06:49 PM
I just bought the game and I am trying to use my MSFF2 stick and my ch pedals how to get the game to see the pedal?

ednavar
11-25-2004, 03:50 AM

Hi Zen,

I used the Thrustmaster Elite pedals with a Gameport2USB adapter and they worked flawlessly. XP see them as a separate controller with just one axis.

S!

Tully__
11-25-2004, 05:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by myrstdr:
I just bought the game and I am trying to use my MSFF2 stick and my ch pedals how to get the game to see the pedal? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Click on the "Joysticks & FB" link under my signature picture.

Lav69
11-25-2004, 06:23 AM
I have CH pro pedals and they work great. XP recognizes them no problem. No drivers needed. To be honest I don't think there is that much of a choice. Only a few companies make them.