PDA

View Full Version : 'ere we go again ?

jason_345
04-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Hello everyone

Somewhere on the IL-2 disks there is a text file which gives information on how to change things in thr config file, such as 'better sea waves,' or 'cluds' etc, depending upon the ability of ones graphic card.

Anyone know please how to access this document?

By the way, there is no mention of clouds in the config files of both my il-2, and il-2 1946 programmes.

regards

jason

jason_345
04-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Hello everyone

Somewhere on the IL-2 disks there is a text file which gives information on how to change things in thr config file, such as 'better sea waves,' or 'cluds' etc, depending upon the ability of ones graphic card.

By the way, there is no mention of clouds in the config files of both my il-2, and il-2 1946 programmes.

regards

jason

Swivet
04-03-2007, 01:35 PM
The only thing i see in my directory is the "manual.pdf" file. You'd need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open that http://acrobat-reader.download-free.at/

As far as the "conf.ini" you just open that with "notepad" or any text editor.

Lberaldo
04-03-2007, 01:47 PM
The manual does have some information on how to change a little your config file, mostly some graphical issues (airfields flickering, water and trees).

Cheers

badatit
04-03-2007, 03:40 PM
In the 1946 game folder look for "ReadmePF".

Thats what your after.

If you cant open it, try this,
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...B8FDF&displaylang=en (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en)

Taylortony
04-03-2007, 07:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jason_345:
Hello everyone

regards

jason </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Open the game folder, look for the config file (conf) in there, <span class="ev_code_RED">open it with notepad</span>, change the settings by putting cursor on them and retyping what you want to replace it with then save as you would with any note or word doc.

simple as that

JR_Greenhorn
04-03-2007, 11:41 PM
jason, you'll have much better luck editing your conf.ini file using one of the guides the community has done. Check Bearcat's Sturmovik Essentials for them. The guides will really help with understanding what the settings do and what the performance impact is. For now, I can tell you a few of the settings you can change.

For graphics settings, you will need to look under either [Render_DirectX] or [Render_OpenGL], depending on which you're using. OpenGL is preferred, it can be selected from the Setup utility that Il-2 puts in your Start Menu. In the conf.ini, under your [Render_OpenGL] heading, there is first a bunch of entries that start with "TexFlags." Under that, my conf.ini looks like this:
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=4
Effects=2
ForceShaders1x=0</pre> and so on. You can add entries if they aren't present already. Another way a guide is helpful is letting you know what the possible values are. For instance, Water= can be 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4, depending on your hardware capabilities.

If you're looking for the really good waves and clouds that you've probably seen in screenshots, turn up the Water= as far as your rig can handle, and set Sky=2.
Now, go into the game and set up a QMB mission with Poor or worse weather, and start from at least 3000m. If you pick weather crappy enough and fly a high enough, you'll be above a big, thick blanket of clouds. If you then dive down and fly at wavetop height, you'll see the big rolling waves as well.

If you're playing with your conf.ini settings, pay attention to the smoke for your Effects=, and see what the Forest= does to the trees (the single trees standing alone, not the big blanket forests). Again, one of the community guides will better walk you through what each setting does.

I hope all this helps you.

jason_345
04-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Thankyou JR-Greenhorn. I will look into that.

regards

jason