PDA

View Full Version : Story questions/issues *minor spoiler possible*

therev81
11-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Ok, so maybe someone can clear this up for me. I started going through Assassin's Creed 2 to prepare for Brotherhood and there's something about the story that just doesn't make sense. You are apparently living through your ancestors memories and whatnot through your DNA, cool concept however some events do not match up with this. For instance, when you are in the new animus on AC 2, they tell you if you want to be fully in sync with Ezio, you have to find the pieces to get Altair's armor. Also, they tell you to find the glyphs in the world for the whole 'truth' video. This makes no sense as it is saying your character has free will to go out and find this information for them. Yet you are supposed to just be witnessing a memory. If you give the character free will to go find this information and such (according to the story) then that no longer makes it where you are just living out the memories of your ancestors, and therefor finding the items that they want you to find would no longer be valid for finding out where they are in current time. Any clarification on this?

BK-110
11-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Well, from what we know it is a simulation, that allows a varying degree of deviation from the actual memory. The health bar is here the synchronization bar, too. No specifics are known, as far as I know.

The glyph puzzles have been <span class="ev_code_WHITE">hacked into the memories by Subject 16, the mysterious Abstergo subject before Desmond, who pretty much went bat**** crazy due to the Bleeding Effect.</span> (Mild spoilers)

If you want to know more, you should check out The Assassin's Creed Wikia Page (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed_Wiki).

therev81
11-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I've seen a lot about how the guy hacked the symbols in and such as I watched my friend play through a lot of this game. I can see some variations since it is a simulation, but some variations you would think are a bit much. Like what if Ezio was actually killing someone at a certain time, but since you have free will you were off searching for some symbols. Therefor, that person according to the simulation would not die. This would create a domino effect that would alter many events later that could possibly change the location of one of the items that you are searching for in current time. I'm probably looking way too in depth on this, but I'm a detail oriented person and little things like this get to me.

realgangsta213
11-02-2010, 05:32 PM
As far as I understand the concept, it's not re-living the exact memories of your ancestor. The critical memories are the ones you re-live and the cutscenes at the end of each those memories are the re-living part. The rest is just giving you the world and telling you to try and get full synch. So when i find a tresure box in the year 1489 it doesn't mean ezio found it 1489 maybe he found it 1481. It is only critical memories(story missions) in which you are re-living it as accurate as possible but also doesn't mean that when you kill a citizen within the story that ezio killed him when he did that mission. It's a simulation in which only certain parts are historically correct. What you do in-between them is up to you and doesn't correspond to what ezio actually did. Does that sort of make sense because i had trouble putting it into words?

lilbacchant
11-02-2010, 05:38 PM
You guys are trapped in the wrong concept. The animus isn't simply a projector that allows Desmond to see the 'video' of an ancestors memories. Instead, it provides an interactive simulation where the ancestor's memories are more of a map, or at least waypoints on a map, and Desmond is free to go off-roading.

therev81
11-02-2010, 05:59 PM
I can see the last two posts (either,or) being acceptable in this situation. I'm guessing they could have explained it a bit more in detail so we have an actual clear explanation of how exactly everything works. Maybe in an upcoming AC they will provide more detail of the animus and how it works. But even in that case, they are using this to find out where these devices are located in current time through these 'memories' in your DNA. So being given free will to kill whoever/do whatever (even citizens) could totally alter the events that take place, which could alter where the devices are. Now, if the animus would overwrite your actions (such as reviving someone you killed that should not have been killed in order for certain events to still take place) then that would make sense. They never really let you know much about that, though. The main thing that throws it all off is the fact of WHY they are doing this, and that is to find these lost artifacts in OUR time. The only way to find that out through these memories would be for the events that led to there whereabouts to actually happen, otherwise the domino effect comes into play and it would be a completely different history. If if the answer is 'we gave you free will to make the game more entertaining' or to 'provide better game play' that would be acceptable. I love the game either way, great concept and fun to play, but the loopholes always draw my attention until I figure out the details on them.

PhiIs1618033
11-03-2010, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by therev81:
I can see the last two posts (either,or) being acceptable in this situation. I'm guessing they could have explained it a bit more in detail so we have an actual clear explanation of how exactly everything works. Maybe in an upcoming AC they will provide more detail of the animus and how it works. But even in that case, they are using this to find out where these devices are located in current time through these 'memories' in your DNA. So being given free will to kill whoever/do whatever (even citizens) could totally alter the events that take place, which could alter where the devices are. Now, if the animus would overwrite your actions (such as reviving someone you killed that should not have been killed in order for certain events to still take place) then that would make sense. They never really let you know much about that, though. The main thing that throws it all off is the fact of WHY they are doing this, and that is to find these lost artifacts in OUR time. The only way to find that out through these memories would be for the events that led to there whereabouts to actually happen, otherwise the domino effect comes into play and it would be a completely different history. If if the answer is 'we gave you free will to make the game more entertaining' or to 'provide better game play' that would be acceptable. I love the game either way, great concept and fun to play, but the loopholes always draw my attention until I figure out the details on them.
I don't understand what your point is here. It's a simulation and Desmond just needs to get from critical memory to critical memory. He needs to get to a certain point to achieve sync with Ezio, whereafter the critical memory begins. Completing this memory gives more sync with Ezio, which leads to another critical memory being opened. The animus is all about synchronizing the subject with the ancestor's memories until they are able to view a target memory. (The apple-chart in AC1, the Vault in AC2) That's all there is to it.

Point here is that whatever you do in free-roam doesn't affect the critical memories, because those are cinematics, events resulting from Ezio's actions, not Desmond's.

Also note the 100% synchronization challenges in AC:B. It's better that you complete everything EXACTLY as Ezio did, but the general idea is good enough. Tell me, do you exactly remember the major events in your life, or when you first put AC2 in your Xbox/PS3/PC? Memories aren't exact, but flexible and that's what gives the games a plausible explanation for the usage of the Animus.

steelernati0n
11-05-2010, 07:25 PM
The animus is not an exact replay of time. Its just a simulation of it.

Say someone dies during freeroam that would affect the timeline, when the core memory starts, this could all be reset.

but even with that not many of the people killed during free roam are going to have a huge affect on the timeline.