PDA

View Full Version : Armed Trawlers

hueywolf123
01-05-2006, 01:59 PM
As a new player of only a couple of months, my career was cut short the other night by a second armed trawler that did not show up on my charts. I managed by sheer fluke, to sink an armed trawler next to a convoy, and whilst I did suspect the presence of another, it did not show on my charts nor did the hydrophone pick out anything, so I surfaced to complete my convoy attack and to send off a contact report when I heard the 'warship closing fast' message. I crash dived and got to depth fairly quickly, but even at full stop, rigged for silent, the trawler remained there. I ran back slow for a good 10min, then altered depth, then ahead slow - hard to port, dropping depth once again. It took 1 1/2hrs before it got me, 2 charges at 120m depth, damage control could do nothing and down we went.
Does anyone have any strategies or ideas on evading the trawlers? I find these guys much harder to get away from than the destroyers.

Goose_Green
01-05-2006, 02:38 PM
If weather conditions permit and the trawler is the only warship I tend to blast it into next week using my deck gun http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

ajoleary
01-05-2006, 03:03 PM
As an alternative to Green Goose's suggestion, is if the weather is bad (ie heavy seas and fog) get as resonable distance away underwater - then surface and go like hell. The Armed Trawler is very slow for a warship and anything but a Type II can outrun it no problems. (Just make sure you take the engines out of recharge mode)

Trawlers will become the least of your problems http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

hueywolf123
01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
cool, thanks guys http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Da11en47
01-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Whenever I hear depth charges dropped, I go ahead full and dive another 20-40 meters. Always works, I only get killed when I take risk at the surface.

Silva_Bullet
01-06-2006, 01:35 AM
Trawlers... hmmmm. Never really gave me any trouble. Never been detected or DC'ed by them either. The only time I ever break a sweat is when I'm on the surface slugging it out with one at close range. That can get nasty.

paulhager
01-06-2006, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by hueywolf123:
As a new player of only a couple of months, my career was cut short the other night by a second armed trawler that did not show up on my charts. I managed by sheer fluke, to sink an armed trawler next to a convoy, and whilst I did suspect the presence of another, it did not show on my charts nor did the hydrophone pick out anything, so I surfaced to complete my convoy attack and to send off a contact report when I heard the 'warship closing fast' message. I crash dived and got to depth fairly quickly, but even at full stop, rigged for silent, the trawler remained there. I ran back slow for a good 10min, then altered depth, then ahead slow - hard to port, dropping depth once again. It took 1 1/2hrs before it got me, 2 charges at 120m depth, damage control could do nothing and down we went.
Does anyone have any strategies or ideas on evading the trawlers? I find these guys much harder to get away from than the destroyers.

120 meters is too shallow. Go deep: 200 meters.