PDA

View Full Version : anyone playing Italy?

kalijon
10-05-2010, 12:00 AM
I've have some pretty good success with Italy so far, they have an interesting Barracks(20$) which come with recon, infantry, anti infantry, and anti building. Also, since everything is so cheap, you have some versatility with how to proceed. I've had some pretty good luck when I set up a secondary headquarters, even before the barracks are done building. In this way, I can reinforce the front immediately, typically with hard-counter anti-tank units.

Also, the anti-tank base is pretty sweet because it comes with a very strong anti-air unit.

Basically, I think the Italians have a really strong initial ground-game. The barracks serves many purposes at once and comes cheap. Also, this makes infantry much more reliable, and capturing buildings earlier happens more often.

I think it's important to note that certain nations have advantages in their own way. Differences in building and unit cost, what units are available through research or immediate, and of course time periods.

Axe99
10-05-2010, 02:15 AM
The Italians also get their 2.4km from their arty base, and in 1939 (no need for a prototype base like the US or Germany), and get some very cheap and quick 'heavy' (more like strong medium) tanks from their prototype base, along with truck-mounted Bredas.

Don't play them at the moment though, but will give them another try down the track. I found them a bit like the Brits - you have to play carefully to their strengths, or you can get in trouble quickly.

scaramanga1973
10-05-2010, 04:55 AM
I have played them quite a bit and have found that you need to make fairly early offensive advances to make them pay off. If you play the long game with them they tend to struggle in the latter parts because of a lack of defensive prowess.

I have had most successes by building a sizeable force early on (infantry and light armour) and advancing on either key enemy bases (if camo has not been deployed) or supply depots.

If the game gets to the 15 to 20 minute mark that is when Italy begin to fail.