PDA

View Full Version : Direction of Takeoff

darkhorizon11
01-22-2007, 03:31 AM
I've been seeing this in videos, threads, and mission packs lately and its been bugging the **** out of me...

When taking off aircraft won't take off simulatenously in opposite directions unless under extreme circumstances. The biggest factor determining the direction of takeoff is wind (though there can be others), which the aircraft takes off into to increase airspeed in a shorter distance. Either way, aircraft on parallel side by side runways won't do this. Its extremely rare, the only circumstances are in a sudden wind shift, in which maybe one or two aircraft may opt too takeoff with a tailwind (as long as it isn't tooo drastic) over taxiing all the way to the other end of the runway. Either way, it is unnatural.

Mind you I mean no disrespect with this thread I figured I'd just inform the community! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

darkhorizon11
01-22-2007, 03:31 AM
I've been seeing this in videos, threads, and mission packs lately and its been bugging the **** out of me...

When taking off aircraft won't take off simulatenously in opposite directions unless under extreme circumstances. The biggest factor determining the direction of takeoff is wind (though there can be others), which the aircraft takes off into to increase airspeed in a shorter distance. Either way, aircraft on parallel side by side runways won't do this. Its extremely rare, the only circumstances are in a sudden wind shift, in which maybe one or two aircraft may opt too takeoff with a tailwind (as long as it isn't tooo drastic) over taxiing all the way to the other end of the runway. Either way, it is unnatural.

Mind you I mean no disrespect with this thread I figured I'd just inform the community! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

FritzGryphon
01-22-2007, 03:38 AM
It might be, but keep in mind, people online don't usually want to taxi to the 'proper' runway for takeoff.

If it's in a single mission, it's probably intended that way by the person who made it. After all, the most common weather conditions are 'clear' and 'good', which have no wind.

Even in the absolutely worst weather conditions, rain and thunderstorm, the wind only reaches a paltry 30km/h. Takeoffs in all directions would still be possible, even if not perfectly ideal.

darkhorizon11
01-22-2007, 02:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
It might be, but keep in mind, people online don't usually want to taxi to the 'proper' runway for takeoff.

If it's in a single mission, it's probably intended that way by the person who made it. After all, the most common weather conditions are 'clear' and 'good', which have no wind.

Even in the absolutely worst weather conditions, rain and thunderstorm, the wind only reaches a paltry 30km/h. Takeoffs in all directions would still be possible, even if not perfectly ideal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well,

1. We are in simland so everyone can do whatever they want, but with that said the game spawns aircraft on the runway of choosing anyways.

2. Its a matter of safety anyways, its dangerous to have aircraft taking off into each other off two parallel runways.

3. 30 km/h isn't much wind depending upon where you live. Here where I fly in ND the wind regulary reaches 25-30 knots gusting which is quite strong. And trust me, for lighter aircraft such as WWII fighters even 5-10kts of wind can subtract or add over 100 feet to the takeoff and landing distance. In the game all the runways are massive and long, but IRL this wasn't aways the case, not to mention trees, hills, powerlines, and all the other obstacles around an airport that can affect decision making.

FritzGryphon
01-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Exactly my point. IL-2 land is a place where the weather is always good and runways are huge. It's natural that the pilots there would become complacent.

Soon as there is 100km/h crosswind to blow you into oncoming traffic on the opposite runway, is when people will smarten up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

slipBall
01-22-2007, 03:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2. Its a matter of safety anyways, its dangerous to have aircraft taking off into each other off two parallel runways </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The server should list runway's for takeoff, and landings, in the brief. Most don't...
Then the pilot should write it down somewhere...so that when he returns to base, he will know what to do. Pilots should also use the landing pattern all the time...except when damage dose not permit

example: south runway, heading 265, take off ONLY
north runway heading 265, landing ONLY

VW-IceFire
01-22-2007, 04:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
Exactly my point. IL-2 land is a place where the weather is always good and runways are huge. It's natural that the pilots there would become complacent.

Soon as there is 100km/h crosswind to blow you into oncoming traffic on the opposite runway, is when people will smarten up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't forget! It is always 12:00 noon! Pilots would never fly except when its 12:00 noon and there were absolutely no clouds around at all! If there were...light a fluffy small little ones for sure!