PDA

View Full Version : Is the FB and PF engines (graphics) essentially the same?

PekkaM
01-27-2006, 02:39 AM
I started wondering if these two games run on the exactly same engine?

Since this seems to be combined forum for both games and nobody seems to clearly differentiate which game they are discussing in their post, I assume it to be so.

I just staretd doubting this though when I installed new shader libraries to PF for nice water effects and found only one of the given dll's in FB folder and no setting for water at all in config file (by the way, is there a thread discussing all the graphical enhancements and shaders I can turn on in that file?).

What's the deal?

Friendly_flyer
01-27-2006, 03:34 AM
I think (note, I don't know) that the graphic differences are related to maps, not to the games. Among the skinners, there are a few tricks to make skin screenshots look good, one of them is to don't use the Okinawa map when taking screenshots, because the colours appear a bit flat (but the water effects looks very good).

PekkaM
01-27-2006, 03:52 AM
So if I just copy those two dll's to FB directory, set Hardware Shaders to 1 in config file and add Water=2 (or whatever value) there, I should get those nice water effects in FB?

Markku38
01-27-2006, 04:38 AM
Hi!

I think that if you ask it here, they could help http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Link --> http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/49310655

Xiolablu3
01-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Yes its the same graphics engine.

The Pacific Fighters engine obviously has a lot more effects and stuff added, but when you merge the 2 games, this adds these effects to Forgotten battles too.

It has to be the same engine otherwise the 2 wouldnt be able to be merged. If there is no water setting in FB, then it is most likely that the shader effects were added later, either in a patch or in PF. I remember ther was only water 1 or water 0, now there are about 5 different shader settings.

Only when Battle OF Britain comes will it be a whole new engine, started from scratch.

PekkaM
01-27-2006, 02:30 PM
What do you mean by merging? It has something to do with Aces Expansion (which I do not have)?

FoolTrottel
01-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by PekkaM:
What do you mean by merging? It has something to do with Aces Expansion (which I do not have)?

Yes, it does.

To get the most fun out of it all, you start with Forgotten Battles, (which includes all IL2 Sturmovik Original planes and maps and some more), next install AEP (includes some more planes and maps, like Normandy), next install PF to add the Pacific theatre (well, some of it) and you're merged!

Have Fun!

crazyivan1970
01-27-2006, 03:21 PM
It`s pretty much the same engine as IL2 had when it was released, with quiet a few modifications and improvements.

VW-IceFire
01-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Yep...you need Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack, and Pacific Fighters. OR wait for the Platinum DVD release and it'll have all of them. Anyways you get all of those, install them together, and you get the merged installation of Pacific Fighters which combines all of the games.

They are using the same engine...however, flight model, damage model, graphics, and the like have improved over the years....but the old stuff can take advantage of what the new stuff has to offer.