PDA

View Full Version : 1946 Multiple Install Help

TG484
09-01-2011, 11:06 AM
I purchased il-2 1946 via amazon and recently I tried to use the setup application to install the game a second time to have a stock version to play online with. The problem is after I click install and the setup wizard opens it wants to unistall my previous version first.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to have multiple installs of the downloadable version?

horseback
09-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Easiest way is to copy your original installation and put it in a separate folder or drive, assuming that you OS allows this (XP does. Not so sure about Vista and Windows 7).

Your other option is to delete your first install, and direct your re-installation to your desktop, a folder in your Documents files or another drive instead of the default Games folder.

cheers

horseback

TG484
09-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I didn't install it to my default games folder I installed it in its own folder (C:/IL-2 1946)if that matters.

Skip_Jack
09-01-2011, 03:03 PM
IMHO install stock to its own directory and test, copy this to another directory and test this as well. Give both root directories semi unique names such as:

C:/IL-2 1946 Stock/

C:/IL-2 1946 Modded/

If have space, after each change mod or patch has been applied and tested, do a backup so that you always have a working copy so you never need to go backand start from scratch.........something does not work just copy the last working version over top of the version that does not work.

Tully__
09-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by TG484:
I didn't install it to my default games folder I installed it in its own folder (C:/IL-2 1946)if that matters.
It doesn't matter for WinXP and actually makes things easier for Vista and Win7.

Procedure for a second install is as stated above, start with a standard installation and simply copy it to a new location and make a new shortcut for the copied version. IL2:1946 makes no real use of registry entries so the installer is not required for a working installation.

TG484
09-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks, it worked, I thought the game had to be installed twice bc of registry. I just copied a stock copy to another location and they both run.

Thanks all,

TG484

TipsyTed
09-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by TG484:
I thought the game had to be installed twice bc of registry.

Yeah, IL-2 1946 does not use registry entries, that's why you can also make a copy of installation folder on some backup external drive or medium.