PDA

View Full Version : Drifting left... please help a newbie

aj_alfa145
07-05-2006, 12:51 AM
Oh no not another drifting problem...
I've searched, plenty of posts on drifting left/right, but I still can't figure it out. Here's my problem:

To get the a/c to go in a straight line, either taxi'ing at 10km/h, or flying at 400km/h it always needs portions of right rudder.

Adjusting ailerons it will stay level but yaw's, where as just adjusting the rudder will stop the wing dropping and keep it going straight.

I understand about the ground loop effect and torque effect from the engine might have a tendency to pull the craft to one side, but should it really do this even when trying to taxi at low speeds?

From standstill with full right rudder when starting moving the plane only slightly veers to the right, if I was trying to circle right I would have a turning circle of a few miles! turn left and it almost does it on the spot.

I'm using a Saitek X-52 with pedals from my Logitech Wingman wheel. I've got the pedals reporting as a single axis, and they don't sit off centred in any other game and are calibrated perfectly (both the stick and the pedals).

All I can think of is there looks like there is slightly more travel on the accelerator pedal than the brake pedal - but I would have expected it to centralize on the axis when neither is pressed. Maybe it doesn't?

I'm getting really frustrated as I've spent hours trying to actually set this up before I can even start to play the game.

I've tried the stick utility, setting dead zones in the pedals, etc, but no joy. Even unplugging the pedals - nothing. No other control is assigned to the rudder except keyboard. Resetting the rudder makes no difference, moving it through full travel makes no difference, centering, no difference...

Please help I just want to fly without having to give constant rudder, and to be able to turn right when taxi'ing! In all a/c I've tried it's as bad as each other http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Please help a nub!

aj_alfa145
07-05-2006, 12:51 AM
Oh no not another drifting problem...
I've searched, plenty of posts on drifting left/right, but I still can't figure it out. Here's my problem:

To get the a/c to go in a straight line, either taxi'ing at 10km/h, or flying at 400km/h it always needs portions of right rudder.

Adjusting ailerons it will stay level but yaw's, where as just adjusting the rudder will stop the wing dropping and keep it going straight.

I understand about the ground loop effect and torque effect from the engine might have a tendency to pull the craft to one side, but should it really do this even when trying to taxi at low speeds?

From standstill with full right rudder when starting moving the plane only slightly veers to the right, if I was trying to circle right I would have a turning circle of a few miles! turn left and it almost does it on the spot.

I'm using a Saitek X-52 with pedals from my Logitech Wingman wheel. I've got the pedals reporting as a single axis, and they don't sit off centred in any other game and are calibrated perfectly (both the stick and the pedals).

All I can think of is there looks like there is slightly more travel on the accelerator pedal than the brake pedal - but I would have expected it to centralize on the axis when neither is pressed. Maybe it doesn't?

I'm getting really frustrated as I've spent hours trying to actually set this up before I can even start to play the game.

I've tried the stick utility, setting dead zones in the pedals, etc, but no joy. Even unplugging the pedals - nothing. No other control is assigned to the rudder except keyboard. Resetting the rudder makes no difference, moving it through full travel makes no difference, centering, no difference...

Please help I just want to fly without having to give constant rudder, and to be able to turn right when taxi'ing! In all a/c I've tried it's as bad as each other http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Please help a nub!

rnzoli
07-05-2006, 02:01 AM
most aircraft will have a "problem" of side-slipping due to propwash and torque

the only way to fly without constant rudder is trimming the rudder (and re-trimming when your speed changes - can use the side-slip indicator in cockpit)

before you go too deep, try flying some of the "straight" birds like me262, or the p38

if you notice that they fly the way you expect, you need rudder trimming for the other birds (can be through keyboard)

but if they also drift, something is with your pedals

DEY_RAVEN_UK
07-05-2006, 02:13 AM
For taxing use the brakes and rudder you will then be able to turn left or right in a very short space.
I also get lots of drifting with the plane wanting to pull to the left and the moment i pull on the stick the aircraft starts wobble for a few seconds so i think its time for a new stick, if i pull back on the stick i can see the rudder pedals move left and right but its fine if i push foreward.... ive managed to get used to it now but i do understand your frustration.

Flying_Nutcase
07-05-2006, 02:41 AM
Reminds me of when I first got started and kept crashing to the left of the runway. He he. The above posts should see you right. Keep at it. There's a lot to learn and a lot of fun to be had. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

aj_alfa145
07-05-2006, 03:05 AM
It happens even when the wheel & pedals aren't plugged in. I have removed rudder control from the stick when the pedals are plugged in, and it's nothing obvious like the steering wheel as that is unassigned.

I'll try the me262 or P38 and report back.

I have set rudder trim to a slider on the x52, but as it varies with speed it just needs constant re-adjustment. Normally to cruise ~350kmh I need just under 50% right rudder.

rnzoli
07-05-2006, 03:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It happens even when the wheel & pedals aren't plugged in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's right, a fair amount of side-slip happens because of the flight model. Rudder trimming indeed needs frequent readjustment, but 50% seems too much, in linear scale I normally use max. +/- 25% around the center (half way).

By the way, don't fully trust everything I say because I regularly play online and therefore I belong to an irrelevant minority among the players. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif