PDA

View Full Version : stuka wheelbreaker

captainbong1970
11-08-2007, 06:24 AM
In yet another ineffective strfing run I managed to break my Stuka's wheels off on an enemy car.

Is it modelled to fly better without the wheels? I suppose I'll have to bellyland it, but I seem to die quite frequently due to flipping Stukas on landing.

frior-one
11-08-2007, 06:28 AM
no. i have seen a video (on youtube i think) where some one over a measured distance times two runs, one with wheels, the other without (he skillfully takes them off) and the times were the same.

PBNA-Boosher
11-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Generally, in terms of getting home, it may be better to leave them on. still, I wish that if you did break your wheels off on a car, the car was instantly destroyed or at least moved several yards off its current path from impact.

Krt_Bong
11-08-2007, 10:08 AM
The reality is that if you really hit the wheels on something hard enough to break the wheel struts off you would probably damage the main spar to the point of failure or at the very least flip the a/c over with it's forward momentum. Having flown R/C models which can be structurally stronger than their full scale counterparts I've seen plenty of ground loops in similar situations but rarely the loss of landing gear without an immediate crash afterwards.

Loco-S
11-08-2007, 02:14 PM
IIRC the stuka wheels were designed to break off in case of hard landing ( crash landing) even Hans Rudel ordered all his pilots to land sideways (nad detach the landing gears) in order to destroy their Stukas when they surrendered to the Allies.

Kurfurst__
11-09-2007, 03:39 AM
Actually, wheels could be blown off from the D-series Stukas to faciliete belly landings and prevent turnovers on rough terrain...

DKoor
11-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by captainbong1970:
In yet another ineffective strfing run I managed to break my Stuka's wheels off on an enemy car.

Is it modelled to fly better without the wheels? I suppose I'll have to bellyland it, but I seem to die quite frequently due to flipping Stukas on landing. I just may try that for myself..... nice idea.
In theory, if aircraft doesn't suffer extra damage, top speed should raise.

Vipez-
11-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Last time I tried to knock out my wheels, it certainly did not increase top speed.. infact I was going slower. And no I did not have any other damage.