PDA

View Full Version : A question for X-52/X-52 Pro users

KingKongRetard
03-01-2007, 03:46 AM
Yesterday I got my X-52 Pro. Hurray!!! However, I don't have rudder pedals yet so I will be using Z and X keys as rudder conrol for a while.

The joystick is great. However, I got one thing to complain. It has 2 dials for trimming. Both of them are located on thruster unit. One of them is around button E and second is around button I. So far, so good.
However, I am kinda missing thrid trim dial. So I have a question. What do you use as a thrid trim dial? I am thinking to use one of those toggle buttons from joystick. It might not be as practical as dials, and as far as I imagine that the trimming won't be that smooth.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

stathem
03-01-2007, 03:56 AM
Doesn't the Pro have a twist axis for rudder?

I use the topmost hatswitch for aileron trim on one of the modes; on the basis that; most of the a/c I fly don't have aileron trim, and that it is the least critical of the trim axes when it is available.

I've got a TiR so there's some redundancy in the hatswitches anyway.

mrsiCkstar
03-01-2007, 03:57 AM
you're right you could use a hat switch for the trimming of one of the three but I don't bother... I have my elevator trim and rudder trim on the rotaries and I don't think I even have aileron trim mapped on the hotas because I rarely need it... I find that if your plane is rolling on it's own in most cases it's because the ball isn't centered and rudder trim is for that.

you could map aileron trim on a hat switch under a shift command also... that way it's out of the way and you'll still have easy access should you need it.

KingKongRetard
03-01-2007, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Actually I don't like rudder twist in the joystick. I don't remember the historic reason behind this disliking.

I usually fly bombers which need some patience to be on high altitute. For level climbing, I need trimming

mrsiCkstar
03-01-2007, 04:27 AM
you could also map the remaining trim to shift+rotary... would be better than the hat!

stathem
03-01-2007, 04:39 AM
There's a thread http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5111047635 from Waldo about mapping rudder trim to the twist axis, if you aren't going to use it; might prove useful. Probably a bit counter-intuitive for aileron trim though.

KingKongRetard
03-01-2007, 05:33 AM
Thanks everybody for your replies. These posts have given me some ideas http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

hshmulik
03-01-2007, 07:29 AM
I just got mine on Sunday:
I figured that the horizontal top knob would be for rudder trim and the one on the right side would be for ailerons, because they both align with the actual axis they are trimming.
For the elevator trim, I'm using the third one which is on the front side - its not really a knob, but rather like the scroll wheel of a mouse - but it turns out it gives a series of key clicks when you turn it, so its very suitable for trimming. You just need to assign those clicks to what you defined in IL-2. its also correctly aligned with the elevator up-down motion.

BSS_AIJO
03-01-2007, 02:07 PM
hmm

been flying wth x52 for a while.
I just got the pro and wow.. Nice.. 8^)

I use the trim on the rotaries are alerion and rudder, I use the slider for elevator. The big top button is WEP and the little thumb button is push to talk. The 4 way manages zoom on my views and the mouse button is remapped to start recording trak's I have thought about remapping the aliron to buttons and useing that for prop pitch, but I really like flying the buffalos and they need a lot of attention payed to the alerion trim. The pro has the rotaries added to the base of the throttle for controlling the display. It would be sweet if somone with visiual studio could make them report as new rotaries and buttons in game. Then I could have prop pitch on own mix on the other and stuff..

Ohh, use the twist on the stick for your rudder. The keyboard sucks for that since its either 0 defelction or 100% deflection.. That would make carrier landings a big old pain in the butt.

BSS_AIJO