PDA

View Full Version : New flight sim "MS Pacific Fighters 2004" released by Microsoft!

Freycinet
10-25-2004, 11:01 AM
---
Oct. 2004:
News flash:
"After the resounding success of MS Pacific Fighters 2002, award-winning flight sim software developer Microsoft again takes us back to the fierce combat of the Pacific theater with Microsoft Pacific Fighters 2004. US fighters square off against the notorious air power of the Japanese empire. Players can play for either the United States or Japan in this exhaustive simulation of Pacific theatre air war. Target enemy ships, airfields, and a host of AI-controlled aircraft. Re-enact some of the most famous air battles of WWII in places like Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, and Iwo Jima. Also, create what-if scenarios such as the Japanese invasion of San Francisco and Jet combat over Tokyo in campaign modes where YOU decide the action!
* Fly a variety of WWII Fighters.
Fly for the U.S. and Japan in famous fighters such as the F6F Hellcat and the deadly Japanese Zero, as well as the Northrop Flying Wing and the Japanese Shinden. Over 6 flyable aircraft models are available, (2 more than MS PF 2002) four of them with 3D animated cockpits.
* Includes new aircraft carriers. For the first time in the Microsoft game series, players will have the option to take-off from, land on, and engage enemy aircraft carriers in combat.
* Accessible to players of all skill levels. With its extensive tutorials and customizable settings, the game will be appealing to both beginning and expert pilots. Nearly every level of realism and difficulty can be tuned to fit user tastes. Carrier Ops have never been so much fun!
* As with every product in the MS PF series, Pacific Fighters offers unparalleled attention to detail. The smart AI, unequaled damage model, and sense of realism combine to immerse players like no other combat flight simulation.
* Maps cover all of the Pacific, as well as the US, China, Russia, India and Australia. Wave movements on the beach, volumetric clouds, and thick vegetation are some of the visual attributes that are rendered in detail.
* Attack a vast array of targets ranging from railroads to battleships and even dirigibles. Ground objects such as tanks can all be pounded from the air. Torpedo historically accurate ships, drop bombs on enemy airfields, and encounter over 15 other targets on the ground and at sea.
* An unsurpassed multiplayer option. Connect to a friends' computer via LAN and play together in split-screen mode!"

MS PF 2004 will be sold at just 69.95$.

---
Nov. 2004:
MS PF 2004 recieves lackluster reviews on flight sim websites, but rave reviews from major game mags as well as MSNBC.com, who claim it to be "even better than MS PF 2002!". Sales at Walmart, Carrefour, Tesco and other major retailers skyrocket, due to heavy exposure on TV shows and bundling of the game with the "WinXP2Ed.+HomeEntertainmentPak". Gamers are generally happy with the product, as exemplified by Seth Johnson, 13, of South Bend, Indiana: "Carrier Ops are so cool, after nailing 7 Bettys and 4 Zeros I always zoom Saratoga before landing and scoring ace status, so I can unlock the Hellcat!"

---
Feb. 2005:
Some players on flight sim websites note various issues with the sim, such as the Corsair roll-rate being twice as fast as that of the Zero, as well as the "Betty self-combustion when padlocked" problem. Also the fact that the sim neds 1GB of Ram and not the 128MB advertised leads to some complaints, however MS lawyers demonstrate that a one-on-one A6M-F6F engagement over water is indeed possible with 128MB ram.

---
Aug. 2005:
Microsoft acknowledges some issues with MS PF 2004 and assure users that these will be rectified in the upcoming release "MS PF 2006 - 50 years anniversary Pacific Victory celebration". This sim will also include new auto-gen ships, improved trees and clouds as well as 2 new flyables.

---
Dec. 2005:
In time for Christmas sales, Jest Flight releases the B-25 SuperValuePak, which allows players to pilot 2 variants of the fully animated B-25 multi-engine bomber (49.95$). This release follows upon literally 100's of user-made planes, which allow players to fly every plane in the WWII Pacific Air War, as well as the North American Sabre and the MiG-15 (without animated cockpits however).

---
June 2006:
A number of players group together in the 1-inch organisation, with the stated purpose of improving realism with MS PF 2004 flight modelling. Over the coming months they release a Corsair with improved roll-rate as well as a corrected F4F without JATO rockets. These models are a great success with a segment of MS PF 2004 users.

---
July 2006:
Pro-Flight Japan releases the Japan PhotoReal Texture Pak: "No longer will Tokyo look like Los Angeles, Sydney and New Delhi", the developers promise. The also plan a Pearl Harbour PhotoReal pack, if sales of the Japan pack are good (149.95$).

---
Oct. 2006:
News flash:
"After the resounding success of MS Pacific Fighters 2004, award-winning flight sim software developer Microsoft again takes us back to the fierce combat of the Pacific theater with Microsoft Pacific Fighters 2006, at a listed price of just 79.95$"....

Ruy Horta
10-25-2004, 11:17 AM
There you go again, another afficionado who compares PF to CFS2. Why not PAW or AOP the impact would be even bigger.

PF is a direct of shoot of FB, which itself was an expanded IL2.

IL2 was revolutionary, it is a REAL benchmark.

FB was evolutionary, improving (some would argue that) what was already great.

PF does the same, it adds to that basic engine.

That's why things do not have the same impact on me like they did back when I first started IL2. Sure I love (FB+AEP+)PF, but it cannot make me extatic. I see plenty of very nice things and some great things, but in the end it is the same game with carriers.

BUT THAT ISN'T A BAD THING!!!

I like the original, I like the expanded game even more.

If they follow up on their word and fix the bugs, if they really add all that "lost material" (and if they can do that before making it another add on) than they deserve all the praise they can get.

But since there are few guarantees in this world I'll rather wait with the superlatives until PFs has been "finished" somewhat more.

sapre
10-25-2004, 11:18 AM
lmao!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

NorrisMcWhirter
10-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Hi,

If I were you, I'd be hoping that people like M$ keep their hand in on the combat flight sim front.

Competition is a wonderful thing; it's what gets things done. Take war, for example, arguably the "biggest competition" the human race engages in and where the biggest technological advances take place.

Don't knock it or you might just find things stagnating http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers,
Norris

FA_IKKYO
10-25-2004, 12:05 PM
After the first experience I had with CFS3 I will never again buy a game from billy boy.

WildeSau
10-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Can you tell me from where you got the information that MS is doing another Combat Flight sim on the Pacific theater? Any official link or so?

Just to make that clear: I didn't like CFS2 nor CFS3 - CFS4 must be so good that I even consider buying it - but until they achieve this, BoB will be out and I don't need any Microsoft game then anyway.

CFS1 was OK for it's times and it was one of my first combat flight sims.

Michael the WildeSau

LordOliver
10-25-2004, 01:00 PM
"Jest Flight..." heh

mucker
10-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Freycinet = MS Fanboy (in denial of course) PF will run great on your Mac or Linux machine will it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

NIGHTBARON
10-25-2004, 01:26 PM
Hmm, Well... Thats quite an interesting news, Yes..the 3rd CFS is a complete disaster in terms of gameplay, Wich is too bad.
(altho they do still hold the best lookin one...)

But, Believe it or not... I kindda enjoy the 2nd series very much, The graphics is quite nice and the gameplay is acceptable, It would be a great competition for guys in IL2 dev team.

mucker
10-25-2004, 01:59 PM
MOO, the more flight sim developers, the better. That is what drives advancement. After all, developers are fans of other sims too. They see things in other sims and say "dang, that is a cool feature" and might try to impliment that feature into their own creation. Oleg was a huge fan of WW2 Fighters by Janes and you can clearly see the influence it had on IL2.

Imagine if AMD wasn't there to push Intel. You would be still running a costly 1.5 GHZ Pentium, and flight sim development would be chugging along without all of these cool features we are now seeing. Competition is good for processor development as well as FS development...

m

Call_me_Kanno
10-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Great stuff Freycinet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Just sit back and let'em roll in. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

609IAP_Recon
10-25-2004, 03:18 PM
I got the leaked copy - thanks for the heads up Freycinet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maple_Tiger
10-25-2004, 03:19 PM
When I first bought FB, I was impressed. A few months later, I bought CFS3. I was not impressed. That being poitlessly said, I will not even bother with MC PF.

Mozzie_21
10-25-2004, 04:32 PM
I had a P400 with some reallt good video card and 512MB of ram and it went fairly well with Il-2, but with CFS3 on min settings it was a slideshow. I've recently tried it on my new 2400, and really think that it was a waste of money.

Freycinet
10-25-2004, 04:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 609IAP_Recon:
I got the leaked copy - thanks for the heads up Freycinet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that leak should teach them not to send the source code by hotmail and have "what was the name of my high school" as the forgotten password question!

joberrick
10-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Anyone got a Link, I'd like to take a look at some screens.

WilliamDu
10-25-2004, 10:44 PM
CFS3 isn't too bad, and there's a group working on a Mediterranean mod. It will be nice to have all the major theatres of the war to fly in. In my opinion MS missed a great opportunity to rule the sim world by not building a CFS4 atop the FS2004 engine. They would have a combat sim that covers the entire world with great scenery, great planes, real weather, and free development tools.

actionhank1786
10-25-2004, 11:33 PM
mak<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WilliamDu:
CFS3 isn't too bad, and there's a group working on a Mediterranean mod. It will be nice to have all the major theatres of the war to fly in. In my opinion MS missed a great opportunity to rule the sim world by not building a CFS4 atop the FS2004 engine. They would have a combat sim that covers the entire world with great scenery, great planes, real weather, and free development tools. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Judging by how people took CFS3, and the fact that most people only say it's a worthy purchase with the Firepower mod, i think Microsoft cut it's losses and stuck with the Civillian market, the one it knows.

Freycinet
10-26-2004, 05:27 AM
to those who took this seriously, sorry guys, it was a fake announcement, just a joke (as you can see from the dates, stretching all the way to 2006)...

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-26-2004, 05:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freycinet:
to those who took this seriously, sorry guys, it was a fake announcement, just a joke (as you can see from the dates, stretching all the way to 2006)... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL...It was obvious it was a gag. The dates on the reviews were...em...futuristic.

Funny how some people are so easily led.

NorrisMcWhirter
10-26-2004, 06:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mucker:
MOO, the more flight sim developers, the better. That is what drives advancement. After all, developers are fans of other sims too. They see things in other sims and say "dang, that is a cool feature" and might try to impliment that feature into their own creation. Oleg was a huge fan of WW2 Fighters by Janes and you can clearly see the influence it had on IL2.

Imagine if AMD wasn't there to push Intel. You would be still running a costly 1.5 GHZ Pentium, and flight sim development would be chugging along without all of these cool features we are now seeing. Competition is good for processor development as well as FS development...

m <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There must be an echo in here. Please don't agree with me, mucker - it'll upset my street cred http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers,
Norris

Ruy Horta
10-27-2004, 05:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freycinet:
to those who took this seriously, sorry guys, it was a fake announcement, just a joke (as you can see from the dates, stretching all the way to 2006)... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Problem is that people don't follow a tread and appear to ignore most of an original post as well. You'll also notice that the second post in the thread is to the point.

So brother Frey, have you tried PF yet?

DuxCorvan
10-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Yes, Ruy, I was also amazed about how few people read the whole posts before giving an opinion... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Funny as it is, tho, it's not a good thing... I wonder how many raging answers are more based in first impressions, quick readings and prejudices than in a careful reading and understanding of the original posts... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif