PDA

View Full Version : Iwo Jima pictures. There are pictures of dead people.

Waldo.Pepper
02-12-2010, 05:34 AM
You guys should all like this collection of images from Iwo. Mostly P-51 including some showing rockets fitted for ground attack. If that debate is still active, in anyone's mind, then this should be yet another nail in that coffin.

http://picasaweb.google.com/7t.../5299168758855001602 (http://picasaweb.google.com/7thfighter/IwoJima?authkey=Gv1sRgCIW06db_6oth&feat=email#slideshow/5299168758855001602)

thefruitbat
02-12-2010, 06:02 AM
i've seen these already, if you haven't, they're well worth a look, really good set of pictures http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Metatron_123
02-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Fantastic pictures!

HayateAce
02-12-2010, 06:59 AM
*Graphic Content Warning* should be added to OP.

FlatSpinMan
02-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Very interesting pictures. yep, the first four or so were fairly graphic but this is a very interesting collection of pictures. Even the everyday stuff like landing and taking off are potentially lethal.

Worf101
02-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Outstanding photo's enjoyed them immensely.

Worf

grifter2u
02-12-2010, 08:34 AM
good post waldo

kinda liked this one for a plane name http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_jcNQzBZlLiE/S29rgaEltYI/AAAAAAAAKyw/2Nsk1ZVNQYQ/342-FH-3A42723_72nd_fs.jpg

HayateAce
02-12-2010, 08:49 AM
In case I came off "stick-in-the-mud," yes the photos are excellent. The one of the P47, P51 and B29 piled up and burning makes you cringe.

Thank you Waldo.

Bremspropeller
02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
The one of the P47, P51 and B29 piled up and burning makes you cringe.

Certainly not me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Choctaw111
02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
My grandfather will appreciate this.
Thanks for posting.
I thought I had seen every publicly available photo from Iwo, but there are some here that I have not yet seen.

WhiteKnight77
02-12-2010, 06:20 PM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_jcNQzBZlLiE/S29qpwXYrWI/AAAAAAAAKxw/F3IF3-yTixM/342-FH-3a42747_497th_bg.jpg

This pic is interesting, I wonder if those holes in the ground are entrances to caves or tunnels the Japanese used during the defense of Iwo.

Choctow, I bet there are some pics in the book The Lions of Iwo Jima you haven't seen either. Have you ever seen pics of Roscoe?

Choctaw111
02-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:

Choctow, I bet there are some pics in the book The Lions of Iwo Jima you haven't seen either. Have you ever seen pics of Roscoe?

I am not sure.
I have bought my grandfather many books on Iwo, and he acquired quite a collection himself.
I will have to look up the book you mention and see if it is familiar to me.
Seeing this photo of a B29 prompts me to mention that both of my grandfather's were on Iwo at the same time.
My father's father fought on Iwo with the 5th Marine Division, 28th Marines.
My mother's father was a waist gunner on a B29 and they landed there shortly after the battle began.
They were within a few hundred yards of each other but would not meet for another 20 years.
I really need to put their stories up here.

Waldo.Pepper
02-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by HayateAce:
In case I came off "stick-in-the-mud,"

Not at all. If anything I am the one at fault. It never dawned on me to post content warning. I have seen plenty of dead bodies (in real life as well) and it never occurred to me. I guess I am somehow defective, to suffering or tactless in the extreme. Because it won't hurt to modify the title I shall attempt to retroactively close the barn door now.

Originally posted by Choctaw111:
I really need to put their stories up here.

Yes please, get typing Choctaw!

WhiteKnight77
02-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:

I am not sure.
I have bought my grandfather many books on Iwo, and he acquired quite a collection himself.
Seeing this photo of a B29 prompts me to mention that both of my grandfather's were on Iwo at the same time.
My mother's father was a waist gunner on a B29 and they landed there shortly after the battle began.
They were within a few hundred yards of each other but would not meet for another 20 years.
I really need to put their stories up here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roscoe was the pet lion of Combat Team 28, whom the Lions of Iwo Jima is about. They are the ones who captured Suribachi. It came out in 2008.

SeaFireLIV
02-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by HayateAce:
In case I came off "stick-in-the-mud," yes the photos are excellent. The one of the P47, P51 and B29 piled up and burning makes you cringe.

Thank you Waldo.

The dead bodies make me cringe as well. Looks like the japanese were caught in a bomb and strafe?

The pictures are good, if images of war can ever be called `good`.

Treetop64
02-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Wow. So much men and equipment ended up in such a sad state on Iwo...

danjama
02-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks alot!

grifter2u
02-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

The dead bodies make me cringe as well. Looks like the japanese were caught in a bomb and strafe?

i think that might be the aftermath, or "morning after", of one of those japanese massed suicide night time attacks in the first period of the american landings (when they hadnt fully secured the island, but started setting up their first bases)

the tents look american, with lots of dead japanese bodies around them

SeaFireLIV
02-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by grifter2u:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

i think that might be the aftermath, or "morning after", of one of those japanese massed suicide night time attacks in the first period of the american landings (when they hadnt fully secured the island, but started setting up their first bases)

the tents look american, with lots of dead japanese bodies around them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea. I thought the tents didn`t seem to fit.

Art-J
02-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Filenames solve the mystery, plus, I see new captions have been added lately, providig details about all pictures not captioned before. It is indeed an aftermath of the last "banzai attack" of remaining Japanese soldiers, commenced on March the 26th.

Cheers - Art

Choctaw111
02-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Choctaw111:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:

I am not sure.
I really need to put their stories up here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roscoe was the pet lion of Combat Team 28, whom the Lions of Iwo Jima is about. They are the ones who captured Suribachi. It came out in 2008. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't bought him another book since then so I am fairly certain he doesn't have this one.
My grandfather's outfit landed on Red Beach 1, so his group headed North and then to the East.
He was immediately next to the group that took Suribachi.

ROXunreal
02-14-2010, 11:56 AM
I wont post the pic, but in 2 of the early pics there you can see what a body looks like after a hand grenade suicide. the soldier left of the tent entrance http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif