PDA

View Full Version : how not to spin out. need some advice

Lord_Rhah
07-11-2005, 07:32 AM
I've just started playing on (almost) full real. didnt want to try it till i got a joystick sorted, but the stick makes it a lot easier. dont even need to slow time down now!

anyway, i'm having some serious probs with spins. i can usually recover them easy enough (throttle idle, reverse rudder and nose down etc) but what i want to know is how do i avoid them? what is the usual cause of a spin etc?
obviously its all about turn rate, air flow stuff, but can someone advise me (in layman's terms) the best way to avoid them.

thanks for any help, cheers

Lord_Rhah
07-11-2005, 07:32 AM
I've just started playing on (almost) full real. didnt want to try it till i got a joystick sorted, but the stick makes it a lot easier. dont even need to slow time down now!

anyway, i'm having some serious probs with spins. i can usually recover them easy enough (throttle idle, reverse rudder and nose down etc) but what i want to know is how do i avoid them? what is the usual cause of a spin etc?
obviously its all about turn rate, air flow stuff, but can someone advise me (in layman's terms) the best way to avoid them.

thanks for any help, cheers

rnzoli
07-11-2005, 07:44 AM
The usual cause: loss of speed and the subsequent airflow stuff. (AFAIK the airflow separates from the wings due to the too high angle of attack of the aircraft, so the wings will produce no lift anymore, and the airplane starts to fall down - IOW 'stalls'. One wing stalls earlier than the other, causing the rotation during the stall.)

My advice: keep your speed up, and don't pull the stick too hard or too sudden.

FlatSpinMan
07-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Smooth motions, as far as is practical to keep someone off your tail.
As said by the previous poster - keep your speed up, too. Especially when climbing, keep the angle of the climb pretty moderate to keep speed up.
When turning don't pull hard (no jokes please). If you notice vapour trails coming off the wing or a bit of a shudder you are pulling too hard and risk going into a spin. Keep an eye on the speed of your plane when turning as energy bleeds off regardless off your throttle settings. This was something I did not think about when i first started.
If it happens that you are on the verge of stalling, try to pick up some speed by rolling over and diving.

What plane are you flying when it happens? I named myself after trying out the P-39 when I first played the demo. All good now though(frequently).

Good game, eh.Stick with it and it will absorb your life. (That's a good thing)

=============================================

Lord_Rhah
07-11-2005, 08:30 AM
not really got a particular plane, i try and vary it. Had a lot of trouble with the Spit (cant remember the model, think it was the '43 version) online last night, but with the P-40 (for example) i've had not major probs.
Corsair is an absolute nightmare though!! (for spins)
Thanks for the advice though, i'll keep it in mind.
the spins have done nothing to put me off the game though, they just add to the enjoyment, in a weird way

mean_mango
07-11-2005, 08:45 AM
If you really want to dive in to the issue, this is some great reading: "Stick and Rudder".

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=231102...361075733#9361075733 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=8181021733&r=93 61075733#9361075733)

It should probably be subtitled: "Why do I keep stalling and what can I do about it?" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif