PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Pilots

Dr.Beckett
06-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Hi,

Well i'm getting a PC in my new place. I've played IL2 once before and loved it! Though i didn't play online. It's something i definately want to get into, i'll need some training though.

Are there any clans/players who can show me how to fly?

I'd like to keep this post going with all information for Rookies

Thanks

Dr.Beckett
06-29-2006, 10:36 AM
oh yeah,

Do you need all 3 games to play on the net? i.e il2 + forgotten battles + pacific fighters

MLudner
06-29-2006, 10:41 AM
On-Line, I fly with the 334th on 334th Dedicated. We use teamspeak, for which you will only need a mic.

You need to get Hyperlobby, which is free and you can find it with a simple search.

Do the same with Teamspeak, which is also free. There is a simple addendum program called Teamspeak Overlay, which while not necessary, is free and can also be found just by typing the name into a search.

I can help train you some through these programs as we can use the "Dog Missions" to allow us to fly together on my computer and I have built several suitable training missions.

Search: Hyperlobby, download and install.

Search: Teamspeak, same same.

Search: Teamspeak Overlay, same same.

I will be on-line tonight on 334th Dedicated sometime just after 7:00 PM Pacific.

MLudner
06-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Yes. You will need a merged install of all 3, with all patches up to 4.04m. Otherwise, you will not be able to sign on to a server.

MLudner
06-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Also, if you have not bought the Pacific Fighters Gold Pack, you will need the Aces Expansion Pack installed.

It seems rather much, I know.

dbillo
06-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Dr.Beckett:
Do you need all 3 games to play on the net? i.e il2 + forgotten battles + pacific fighters
Forget about IL-2 Sturmovik, the original game. The three games you need are:

1. IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles
2. Ace Expansion Pack
3. Pacific Fighters

Then patches...read this thread carefully:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/5581083643

Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion Pack can be found bundled together in the Gold Pack, if you can find it, and Pacific Fighters is pretty easy to come by. Your best bet might be to order the DVD which includes all three games and patches you up to 4.04.

The latest patch released was 4.05, the so-called Pe-2 add-on, which has to be purchased and downloaded, but you'll find servers online for 4.04 no problem.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-29-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm a rookie. I'd love to be privy to the tutelage of an online ace too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

TB

MLudner
06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Actually, most servers - including 334th Dedicated - are still using 4.04m. I have to switch back to 4.04m before I sign on to the server.

If you are new to this - and I gather you are - I would recommend delaying your purchase of Pe-2 / 4.05m until you can be taught how to switch between the two at will (Really, it is not difficult, but it will be complex enough for now dealing with the game and previous patches. In time I think most - if not all - servers will be 4.05m, but that is not the case just now).

Otherwise, dbillo is correct: You do not need Il-2. If you have bought nothing yet, the Pacific Fighters DVD is the Gold Pack I was speaking of. It has everything, including all patches up to 4.04 (I believe). It would be the simplest route.

I started with the original Il-2 and I have bought each new add-on as they came out.

I don't qualify as an on-line ace. I am a flying target most of the time, but getting better. I am scoring victories now, and my K/D ratio is getting better. I had a really good night last night: 3 Victories / 3 deaths and some really great brawls with Billbridgeman, SOB_Cptace and Haggard (Bill and Haggard were 2 of my 3 victories and I was one of Bill's victories http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif).

But, I do know how to fly.