PDA

View Full Version : Mision Gibraltar torment

littlejong
06-10-2005, 02:13 PM
What is it about this area of the ocean that keeps your head down? I know that radar was a war winner on the high seas but please! Ships that apear before you can surface from periscope depth? War ships that must be traveling at hunders of nots. How about this. I'm sitting at periscope depth, never raised the scope, most of the crew in quarters and all stop. Waiting for night fall, not that it would help! And I get rammed by a distroyer that found my location with a crystal ball! Because The external view was clear to the horizon. I'm going to 25 meters next time just to make sure a plane didn't spot my silhouette. anyone else notice this strange behavor?

littlejong http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

littlejong
06-10-2005, 02:13 PM
What is it about this area of the ocean that keeps your head down? I know that radar was a war winner on the high seas but please! Ships that apear before you can surface from periscope depth? War ships that must be traveling at hunders of nots. How about this. I'm sitting at periscope depth, never raised the scope, most of the crew in quarters and all stop. Waiting for night fall, not that it would help! And I get rammed by a distroyer that found my location with a crystal ball! Because The external view was clear to the horizon. I'm going to 25 meters next time just to make sure a plane didn't spot my silhouette. anyone else notice this strange behavor?

littlejong http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

LordBane2005B
06-10-2005, 02:21 PM
What year does that mission take place in? During my campaign I snuck into Gilbrator harbor just to see if anything was there in late '41. It wasn't 'too' difficult, yea there were destroyers and aircraft, but judicial use of torpedoes kept most of them at bay.

g8rk0k
06-10-2005, 07:29 PM
The Gibraltar strait is full of Elco Torpedo boats which are usually running around at 40 knots which is twice your top speed. Also the narrow point of the strait is only something like 15k across or about 7-8 miles. So it's a pretty small area for the number of ships the Brits have patrolling. The 1 redeeming thing about the area is that it's plenty deep and as long as you run slow and get as close as you can on the surface before you have to go down, getting through is actually pretty easy, last time I played it I actually came up slow and blasted a merchant ship that was coming out of the Med and then I eased back down. They threw a sh*tfest looking for me (star shells, pinging like crazy) but they never detected me once. Just go down to about 150 meters & go slow and conserve battery power and it's a simple feat to get past them, even in a type VII.