PDA

View Full Version : Horton 229

gothkrieger
01-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Just saw the program about the Horton 229 again and also saw the recorded track on 1946 disk as well, sure was a beautiful plane and nice to see the track of it flying in the sim. I am busy trying to learn the 109 at the moment but was wondering if anyone was flying these less common aircraft online. I am assuming most fly more traditional aircraft, and to be fair most people would rather prefer not fly against markedly superior aircraft, although history does record Mustangs shooting down Me 262s etc.

M_Gunz
01-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Most 262's shot down by prop fighters was done during the 262's landing approach. Those early jets did not have huge thrust and could not change thrust quickly at all. At lower speeds they were disadvantaged as fighters and you can find that out quickly in IL2 by jumping into a QM and treating one as you would a prop fighter. They are super at high speed but you gotta land some time!

stalkervision
01-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
Most 262's shot down by prop fighters was done during the 262's landing approach. Those early jets did not have huge thrust and could not change thrust quickly at all. At lower speeds they were disadvantaged as fighters and you can find that out quickly in IL2 by jumping into a QM and treating one as you would a prop fighter. They are super at high speed but you gotta land some time!

landing is over rated. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

M_Gunz
01-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Every time I've been in a plane of any kind, the landing has been the most important part!

gothkrieger
01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
LOL, very true!!

Well at least I can land my 109 on the runway more often than not now, things are looking up.

Ba5tard5word
01-28-2011, 03:09 PM
I never liked the Ho 229 in Il-2 because it has a bar across the windshield right in front of your face that makes it hard to see anything. Neat plane though.

I think most people who play Il-2 just kinda prefer the planes and scenarios that were actually in WW2--for one thing they pretty much all actually flew and we have flight data for them I guess. Plus it's just easier to fly the prop planes, if you fly jets you black out constantly (while the AI does not) and their engines set on fire easily which while realistic (I guess) is frustrating.

gothkrieger
01-28-2011, 04:25 PM
I know what you mean by vision. You would think one of the most important features of a fighter aircraft would be the ability to see the enemy without too much obstruction. I am surprised at times to see what the pilots had to deal with in that regard. Been practicing with the 109 G, there are enough canopy braces to block out a fair bit of sky. Nothing like waiting for an aircraft to reappear from behind a brace wondering if it changed direction in the interim.

VW-IceFire
01-28-2011, 04:41 PM
From time to time UK-1 will run a 1946 scenario and we'll often feature the Go229. I've also seen the Go229 on some other dogfight servers at various points.

It turns well but it doesn't accelerate very fast so you can often catch it with a well flown prop fighter. Still a tricky opponent and when flown well it's like most jets - nearly untouchable. The twin MK103 cannons make you explode.

Versus other jets it's a novelty but nearly useless as it's a big target and the lack of stability makes aim difficult.

M_Gunz
01-28-2011, 06:08 PM
When you have two eyes those struts don't appear as solid vision blocks same as in a car. And if you don't pull 5+ G's you won't grey/black out, work on tactics and gunnery and you won't 'have' to. At great speed differences even a Mk 108 can be a long range gun. Besides, those jets were for downing bombers that don't make tight little turns.

PS who has ever watched bats pick off moths out by a street light?