PDA

View Full Version : The P39; N1 & Q1 marques

DmdSeeker
07-23-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm enjoying the "Cobra Pilot" P39 campaign at the moment;and I'm at the point at which I've just changed from the N1 to the Q1 model.

I'm a bit confused at the text in the object viewer: and I'd appreciate any clarifications.

Compared to the N1; the Q1 feels a lot heavier; and generally less manouverable; although it does seem at lot better in climb and level speed; particularly cruising at @10K.

The text says the power and weight should be the same; although it mentions structural changes made to the Q1. The text then says that the Q1 is faster; but confusingly gives a climb time to a different alt. Did the changes also include an aerodynamic clean up? Certainly the Q1 gains a full armour seat back; which must add weight; at the expense of cripling rearward vision; which is particularly damaging the the P39 as I seem to spend a lot of time looking over my shoulder trying to see if I've out paced my opponant yet! Judging by the shape of the cockpit; I don't think 6 D.O.F. would help this much; unlike the Temp; Jug or Mustang.

The text also starts off by saying the armament for the Q1 is unchanged; at 1 x 37mm; 2 x 12.7mm & 2 x .303 guns; however it then goes on to contradict it's self by stating the Q1 got an upgrade; and dropped the 303's for 2 extra 12.7 mm guns; and certainly the visual model supports this by showing to gondola's under the wing.

And roll; especialy at high speeds certainly seems to suffer as well!

So can any one tell me the real differences between the N1 & Q1 models; especialy as they're modelled in the game?

And any tips for the Q1? I'm still getting used to it and I'm a lot less effective in it than the N1

DmdSeeker
07-23-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm enjoying the "Cobra Pilot" P39 campaign at the moment;and I'm at the point at which I've just changed from the N1 to the Q1 model.

I'm a bit confused at the text in the object viewer: and I'd appreciate any clarifications.

Compared to the N1; the Q1 feels a lot heavier; and generally less manouverable; although it does seem at lot better in climb and level speed; particularly cruising at @10K.

The text says the power and weight should be the same; although it mentions structural changes made to the Q1. The text then says that the Q1 is faster; but confusingly gives a climb time to a different alt. Did the changes also include an aerodynamic clean up? Certainly the Q1 gains a full armour seat back; which must add weight; at the expense of cripling rearward vision; which is particularly damaging the the P39 as I seem to spend a lot of time looking over my shoulder trying to see if I've out paced my opponant yet! Judging by the shape of the cockpit; I don't think 6 D.O.F. would help this much; unlike the Temp; Jug or Mustang.

The text also starts off by saying the armament for the Q1 is unchanged; at 1 x 37mm; 2 x 12.7mm & 2 x .303 guns; however it then goes on to contradict it's self by stating the Q1 got an upgrade; and dropped the 303's for 2 extra 12.7 mm guns; and certainly the visual model supports this by showing to gondola's under the wing.

And roll; especialy at high speeds certainly seems to suffer as well!

So can any one tell me the real differences between the N1 & Q1 models; especialy as they're modelled in the game?

And any tips for the Q1? I'm still getting used to it and I'm a lot less effective in it than the N1

VW-IceFire
07-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Well first the armament:

P-39N-1
1x37mm
2x50cal
4x30cal

P-39Q-1
1x37mm
4x50cal (two in underwing gondolas)

The Q-1 is faster than the N-1 overall. I'm not sure if this is achieved by extra engine power or some kind of streamlining but there is a good 20kph top speed difference if I remember correctly. I can see the Q-1 rolling slower...I'll bet that the pair of M2 .50cal machine guns on the wings weigh more than the four .30cal machine guns did so that combined with how far out they are on the wings suggests that it probably causes a bit of a delay in the roll as the extra weight is moved about.

I think the problem you may be having is that the N-1 accelerated faster than the Q-1 does because of less weight and while the Q-1 has an overall higher top speed it takes a little longer to achieve it. Thus in combat if you turn alot the Q-1 will be "slower" doing the same manuever. If you concentrate on using the extra weight to your advantage than it will end up being better and you'll have more firepower and better protection to boot.

The really good one is the Q-10 because you have the bonus of having the extra armor protection quite a bit more speed and no wing 50cals so while firepower is reduced the plane is much more agile from the weight reduction.

WarWolfe_1
07-23-2006, 09:44 AM
http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#014 You might try looking at HardBalls aircraft veiwer.

I find the Q-1 a better all around Cobra. Good hitting power, good speed, good armour, and a delight to fly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG53Frankyboy
07-23-2006, 03:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
..........The really good one is the Q-10 because you have the bonus of having the extra armor protection quite a bit more speed and no wing 50cals so while firepower is reduced the plane is much more agile from the weight reduction. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and the D-2 is almost as good as the Q-10 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif