PDA

View Full Version : For all this time I have waited...

Noumah
12-06-2004, 09:40 AM
This is my first post ever on any of the IL-2 forums. I have read those forums for almost 3 years now and I feel compelled to say a few things.

I know this is not the general discussion forum, but I wish my message will be understood by intelligent, mature and educated readers.

English is not my first language, so please excuse myself of any mistake I have made composing this text.

1) I appreciate, to a degree difficult to express, the work done by Oleg and his team. Never a flight sim has been so deep, realistic and supported. Oleg, from a silent supporter, Thank you for your work.

2) It is not my aim to criticise some of the posters on these forums. I beleive someone can desagree with a fact or an opinion, but one must remember that free expression is based on the respect we give to other speaker. Respect is the most important aspect of an effective communication. One can desagree, but must not be impolite.

3) I'm almost done my degree in military history. Information gathering is of prime importance to any serious work. We all realize that Il-2 is an historicaly accurate flight simulator. By keeping the developpement process open to player's input, Oleg wishes to improve his sim to a degree unatained by his predecessors. In discussing flight caracteristics and relative strenght and weakness of aircraft, one must remember a few simple fact:
- Always confirm your info by cross cheking in books. Internet is not a good information source. Everything can be said, with little or no backup.
- Historical analysis of planes performances goes beyond simple numbers. We have to look at the overall picture. Who was in command, what was the operational readiness of the unit and the level of training of the forces involved. We must not limit ourselves to the simple mathematical fact: Plane A destroyed 3 Plane B, so plane A is the best. This could lead to serious misinterpretation of the plane's respective performances.

This is all I have to say. No specific message to get trought, only general impression and opinions. Three years I have watched, and now I decided it was time for me to speak.

If you need some simple backgroud on myself, so be it. I am a student in military history and a military pilot in training.

Noumah

WWMaxGunz
12-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Also not even books just because they are printed are good sources of information.
Some books have terrible lies or misinformation. Where the books got their
information is always important as is how the author(s) interpret.

Oleg uses first primary sources, the actual official reports made.
He is also capable in technical/engineering of seeing much what is not true or at
least very unlikely that most all of us here miss.

Very lot of respect but remember some things.
=============================================
Oleg is not the only one working on these, though all are well qualified at what they do.
No one I know of is incapable of mistakes and the bigger and faster the work, the more
mistakes which we have seen these corrected as found and ascertained by Oleg and Team.
No PC simulation can do it all so there can not be it all... a major source of friction
seems to be forum member wants versus the possibles plus decideds of Oleg and Team.

Always something for someone to desire. Funny how the more delivered, the more wanted
but once something seems possible there will be the desire. In a sense, it is good for
future business if handled right with most customers and others will always complain no
matter what. The more general the customer base, the worse I think that is.

Noumah
12-06-2004, 02:42 PM
"Books" is refering to all sorts of written documents: technical information, combat analysis, units report and the like. I know that books can (and most often then not, are) full of wrong information. The importance of cros cheking becomes evident.

I agree with you: technical data is the most important source of information when analysing relative strenght and weakness of fighting aircraft.

I know Oleg uses technical data as a primary source of info, this is what makes this sim so great. I only wish that those who always demand and argue about plane performance would take the time to look at this data.

Noumah

Bearcat99
12-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Well after 3 years................ welcome... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

BBB_Hyperion
12-07-2004, 03:09 AM
Well even Cross checking in Books doesnt make always sense cause Book writer a and b just copied from source c so both have correct information when c is correct but else all writers copied from writer c are wrong or even worse its half correct .)

The Statistic and Technical approach is better in this case.

Anyway welcome to the forums http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Beware of the trolls when they make too much sense .)

rbstr44
12-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Good post.

T_O_A_D
12-09-2004, 08:06 PM
3 years??? Most of these guys can't be quiet 3 minutes http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif Welcome in http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Please speak more often!

TheGozr
12-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Welcome
Noumah i think your services are very appreciated around here.
Keep writing we are all open h.. eyes.

pacettid
12-10-2004, 01:48 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Great post!

Philipscdrw
12-10-2004, 04:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Noumah:
This is my first post ever on any of the IL-2 forums. I have read those forums for almost 3 years now and I feel compelled to say a few things.

I know this is not the general discussion forum, but I wish my message will be understood by intelligent, mature and educated readers.

English is not my first language, so please excuse myself of any mistake I have made composing this text.

1) I appreciate, to a degree difficult to express, the work done by Oleg and his team. Never a flight sim has been so deep, realistic and supported. Oleg, from a silent supporter, Thank you for your work.

2) It is not my aim to criticise some of the posters on these forums. I beleive someone can desagree with a fact or an opinion, but one must remember that free expression is based on the respect we give to other speaker. Respect is the most important aspect of an effective communication. One can desagree, but must not be impolite.

3) I'm almost done my degree in military history. Information gathering is of prime importance to any serious work. We all realize that Il-2 is an historicaly accurate flight simulator. By keeping the developpement process open to player's input, Oleg wishes to improve his sim to a degree unatained by his predecessors. In discussing flight caracteristics and relative strenght and weakness of aircraft, one must remember a few simple fact:
- Always confirm your info by cross cheking in books. Internet is not a good information source. Everything can be said, with little or no backup.
- Historical analysis of planes performances goes beyond simple numbers. We have to look at the overall picture. Who was in command, what was the operational readiness of the unit and the level of training of the forces involved. We must not limit ourselves to the simple mathematical fact: Plane A destroyed 3 Plane B, so plane A is the best. This could lead to serious misinterpretation of the plane's respective performances.

This is all I have to say. No specific message to get trought, only general impression and opinions. Three years I have watched, and now I decided it was time for me to speak.

If you need some simple backgroud on myself, so be it. I am a student in military history and a military pilot in training.

Noumah <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are sensible and intelligent, please post more! You've been here longer than anyone else I think, if you've been here since 2001...

So, which country are you a pilot for?