PDA

View Full Version : Tracking the Shroud

Sparty2020
11-02-2010, 12:18 AM
I had believed that Assassin's Creed: Project Legacy had simply been a collection of fun stories to promote the game. Now I see that it is all a series in a larger story by the Templars to attain the Shroud. While the collection of characters is indeed random, as are the dates of the actions and the motivations, one will soon realize that everything everywhere has been done in the name of the Shroud. I would even go so far to venture that the Shroud would play a key role in AC 3, far beyond that of the Apple or the Staff.

It has come to my attention that there is some confusion as to how the Shroud went from being under the Villa Auditore in 1453 to Niccolo's (and thus Francesco's) hands in 1510. I would like to offer my opinion and would welcome any errors in it. Please note that I am essentially summarizing the entirety of Project Legacy in chronological order and with a focus, so if you dislike spoilers for it or treading old ground then you are warned.

In 1454 Mario Auditore captured a Florentine spy named Luciano Pezzati and learnt from him that Florence was preparing a massive invasion of Monterrgioni. Mario desperately trained and equipped an army of mercenaries and successfully defended Monterrigioni against an attack by Florence by the legendary Federico da Montefeltro. After the battle Mario coninued to interrogate Luciano Pezzati and learnt that the attack wasn't for additional territory but rather to acquire an artifact hidden in the Villa Auditore. After unsuccessfully searching various hiding places and areas Mario remembered that one of his ancestors had drained the well in the Villa Auditore and then led an excavation within. Mario gathered his bodyguards and a miner inside to attempt to locate the artifact. Shortly after finding a secret passage in the well the miner is shredded by razor wire. Mario leads his soldiers through a variety of traps and mazes as most of them die one-by-one. Eventually the survivors reach the artifact but not before Mario barely avoids a guillotine and loses his left eye.

The artifact then begins to give Mario's mercenaries false promises of peace and joy forcing them to turn against Mario who urges that they ignore it. Mario kills them all in self-defense and leaves the well as its sole survivor with the artifact securely fastened in a box.

Mario then sends the artifact to Giovanni in hopes that the brotherhood will know what to do with it. It is then assumed that Giovanni sent the box to the brotherhood for protection in Agnadello where it would remain until 1498 when Perotto Calderon would come in search of it to save his son. Perotto destroyed the Shroud's sentries and then attempted to use force the Shroud to help his son. It is implied that the child was killed because it was considered "unworthy" but not confirmed.

The Shroud would remain in Agnadello for another decade until the Battle of Agnadello in 1509 between the forces of Assassin Bartolomeo d'Alviano and his cousin Niccolo di Pitigliano against the forces of France under Louis XII. While Bartolomeo fought valiantly and was captured by the French, his cousin avoided conflict and deserted the field with his men. I believe that this battle would in truth be fought for the Shroud and when the Assassins lost Niccolo seized the opportunity to take the Shroud and make a run for it.

Less than a year later, in 1510, Perotto Calderon's understudy, Francesco Vecellio, would be assigned the task of killing Niccolo. This is interesting as Francesco himself admits that Niccolo is very old and probably at death's door as it is. Nonetheless, with the full backing of the Assassin Order and their allies, Francesco infiltrates Niccolo's home. Immediately after that Francesco's segment ends and Niccolo's fate is in the air. With the latest update we learn that Niccolo avoided his death by a hair's breadth and rushes to find the Shroud in an attempt to survive. The attempt backfires and the Shroud pronounces him "unworthy" before turning him inside-out, but before he dies Niccolo catches a glimpse of Francesco studying him with disgust before taking the Shroud off the corpse. This disgust could be a reflection of how Niccolo betrayed his allies for that shroud just like his former tutor, Perotto, had or because of some other reason. Personally, I'm leaning toward the former.

I don't know what the Rome pack may contain but I am confident that it will have something to do with the Shroud as Rome is now the center of the Brotherhood. Whether it has anything to do with Ezio, however, I have no idea but he would probably be the only one capable of safely handling such a dangerous artifact. I myself am hoping that Project Legacy will continue to be updated far after Brotherhood is released as this story is rather interesting and I am curious to see how it plays out.

PhiIs1618033
11-02-2010, 01:54 AM
I approve of this post, very much. However, I though it was Francesco that killed Niccolo, instead of the Shroud.

I wonder if the Shroud will play a role in AC:B?

magesupermaster
11-02-2010, 03:33 AM
Before the secret missions, only chapter 4 mentioned the Shroud.

Anyway, nice summery of the plot.
The story of PL could be quite confusing..

I wish someone would post all the reactions you get from the E-mails..

Sparty2020
11-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Actually PhiIs you would notice that from the beginning of Niccolo's session to the end Francesco has left him barely alive in order for him to locate the Shroud. The final text for Chapter 2 even starts with "I have stopped breathing..."

And Magemaster, all of the mail responses are on the Assassins Creed wiki for Project Legacy. They are rather entertaining.

Captain Tomatoz
11-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by magesupermaster:
Before the secret missions, only chapter 4 mentioned the Shroud.

Anyway, nice summery of the plot.
The story of PL could be quite confusing..

I wish someone would post all the reactions you get from the E-mails..

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Project_Legacy
Scroll down until you get to the email section http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif