PDA

View Full Version : Can't mount DVD1 - DVD 2 mounting (OSX Panther)

Vico94
10-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Hi,
Like many of you, I'm really frustrated.
I bought Myst4, I put the DVD1 in the tray, close it, it spins for 20 sec then eject the DVD1. I put the DVD2, it mount correctly. That's all. I've updated my Pioneer firmware but nothing better (yes, it's region-free now). I think this is the copy protection that cause the problem.
I run with iMac G4/800MHz/768RAM/superdrive combo CD-RW/DVD-RW.
The DVD1 mount on PC (at office) it have a DVD burner too, and it works. So I use the PC to make a copy of the game, copy works on PC, not at home (Mac).
So, 1: this copy protection is **** because PC can copy and read the game.
2: I want to play at home with my original bought game!! Thanks to help, PLEASE !

Best Regards,
Victor.

maztec
10-23-2004, 01:50 PM
First this has nothing to do with the copy protection.

The copy protection mechanisms don't come into play until you've already installed the disc.

Yes, it had some play in how the disk is printed, but what happens is the game won't start if the copy protection is acting up.

Not that it won't even read the disk.

Now, there are known problems with Disk 2, being that it is a dual layer disk.

But there are no known issues with Disk 1, except a few misprints out there.

So, that puts your issue in a rather curious state. The fact that you can read and install from Disk 1 on a PC implies that you aren't necessarily having issues with the contents of the disk.

I would attempt taking it back and state that it appears that the mac portion of it is misprinted nad you were wondering if you could get a replacement -- and try out the replacement. That might fix the problem.

If it doesn't, it implies you hav ea more serious issue with your computer that you're going to have to figure out.

Maz

Vico94
10-23-2004, 06:28 PM
You said: "The copy protection mechanisms don't come into play until you've already installed the disc."
Does it means that if I already have installed the game 1 time, I can't do it twice ?

If yes, THIS is the problem because the detailed facts are that I successfuly mounted and installed the disk 1 (after many many tries, the dvd get mounted then I installed it) but the game was crashing so I've deleted all the myst files from my disk in order to re-install it in full install mode.
But the DVD 1 don't mount at all now. I already got a replacement at shop, but nothing better.
What should I do ?
Thx

Srikandi
10-23-2004, 08:45 PM
You can certainly reinstall the game. What maz said just means that copy protection doesn't come into play during the installation process, just when you start playing.

Can't help solve the problem except to suggest that it's either a problem with your DVD drive, or as maz said, something specific to the mac version. Perhaps a mac expert can address that.

Vico94
10-24-2004, 04:09 AM
Thank you, well, may you indicate to me a Ubi responsible, because I bought a game at 50â"š¬ ($55)2 weeks ago and I can't play with. I'd like to be refounded.

Read ya
Vico.

maztec
10-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Go here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=6651093922
Follow the information. Send in a bug report. Let them help you. If they can't help you figure it out, request a refund.

Frankly you can play it, you stated earlier that it did work on a seperate system. It's not the copy protection that is causing you problems. Copying the game from a PC to the Mac is of course not going to work since their binaries are different.

You stated later that you had successfully installed this game once, but it's failed on reinstall. My suggestion to you is to make sure you have truly uninstalled it and removed all extra information on your computer regarding the game. It's possible that something on your system is causing a conflict.

I hope that helps, but frankly I don't know what's wrong with your computer.

Good luck,

Maz

Ubi_Warder
10-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Vico,

Click on your Apple Icon, then click on About the Mac.

Click on the "More Info" button.

This will open the system Profiler.

Click on the Devices and Volumes Tab and locate your drive information. It is usally found under 'Bus'.

Give me the Device Revision, Product Identification, Vendor Identification.

xnighter
10-25-2004, 02:14 PM
curiously, i had exactly the same problem with the copy protected CDs, namely i could not reinstall a copy protected cd after an uninstall!!!! in my case i am absolutely sure that my problem was caused by the copy protection because a mystery window popped up saying that it is the copy protection that is causing the error. so maybe moderators repeat the no-copy-protection-fault mantra because they were instructed to do so, otherwise UBI maybe liable.
OR MAYBE INSTALLING MYST 4 IS JUST ONE OF THE PUZZLES YOU HAVE TO COMPLETE IN ORDER TO ACTUALLY START PALYING. WE CAN START EXPERIENCING THE FAMOUS MYST BRAIN TWISTERS AS SOON AS WE OPEN THE BOX. WOW WHAT GENIUSES!!!

maztec
10-25-2004, 09:32 PM
xnighter, great puzzle idea! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif That'd be sweet. Especially if it was done with a puzzle box. *swoons*

Actually... as a moderator I'm not instructed to do much by Ubi other than be myself.. Oh and not be too out of line. Sarcasm is a rather questionably allowed discussion and answering device that I employ... I suppose one of these days I'll get the boot for using it, but we'll see.

As for the copy protection mantra, not in this case. Why? Because SafeDisc doesn't come in a Mac version.

See the SafeDisc Macrovision website for more information (http://macrovision.com/products/safedisc/index.shtml)
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>SafeDisc Operating System Support

* Toolkit Platforms:
The SafeDisc Advanced Toolkit can be run on the following operating system in 32-bit mode: Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional.
* End User Platforms:
SafeDisc-protected applications can run on Windows XP, 2000, ME and Windows 98.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that explain my answer?

Vico94
10-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Hi UbiWarder, as you asked, here it is:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104:

Capacité: 3.71 Go
Fabricant: PIONEER
Modèle: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104
RĂ©vision: 1.40
Numéro de série: AKDL005331WL
Type de disque: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Gravure du disque: Géré/Livré par Apple
Support amovible: Oui
Disque amovible: Non
Nom BSD: disk1
Protocole: ATAPI
Numéro de l’unité: 1
Type de socket: Interne
Gestionnaires OS9: Non

Later http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Vico

Ubi_Warder
10-27-2004, 10:45 AM
That drive should not have a problem reading the disk. It may be a configuration file left on your hard drive from an earlier installation that is preventing the reinstall.

Did you fully uninstall the game correctly?

Are you sure all of the Previous Myst 4 files are gone from the computer?

Check your icon screen and task bar. Ensure that there are no errant CD icons left and the Myst 4 installer file is no longer on the icon screen or task bar.

Vico94
10-27-2004, 01:03 PM
I firstly uninstalled Myst4, then I did a search on disk to delete all linked files. I finally re-installed entire system 10.2, then I've installed 10.3. I tried all images disk formats burning, all Softwares utilities availables for OS X... Well I tried every tricks that could be intented -> without success. The last thing I may have to do is to trash my mac and buy a PC, but I won't.

Hope we'll find THE way, thanx for your help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Vico